Golf 1.4 TSi - ziggy
Well come on, who's driven it..?

Is it really the answer all our prayers..? A car that delivers power like a diesel with less lag,
less noise, no 'anvil' over the front wheels and respectable economy...

Golf 1.4 TSi - Happy Blue!
Well its engine of the year, so it must be a reasonable drive. Its a pity its only the soprty models of the Golf I think, it would be better to be in the SE model as well.
Golf 1.4 TSi - dodo
Well sat beside the owner of a large VW garage yesterday at a charity lunch and asked him about this. He said its phenomenal and the way engines will go for the future - very heavily indebted to Formula 1 technology. He kindly offered to lend me one of them before the month for a day. It is interesting that this guy tells me out of the VW stable he always drives a Golf - currently a 170 Tdi Golf Tdi. He says the Golf is the most classless car there is -from the lord of the manor to a labourer living in rented accommodation. Never thought about it but he may have a point! - I'll keep you posted when I get the car!
Golf 1.4 TSi - Quinny100
I cant really see what "Formula One" technology this engine is indebted to. Forced induction of any kind has been banned in F1 since the late 80's, and as far as I'm aware nobody has ever run a twincharged (turbocharged and supercharged) engine. I would suggest it owes more to the rising demand for smaller capacity, fuel efficient engines due to rising oil prices and increased taxation.

Take nothing away from VAG though, they have developed this and brought it to the mass market. It will be interesting to see how these engines fare in long term reliability, and whether they are as economical as they claim to be in real world driving.
Golf 1.4 TSi - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I cant really see what "Formula One" technology this engine is
indebted to.

Agreed, especially odd claim bearing in mind that VW have never been anywhere near F1!

The engine sounds like a superb, and promising, development though.