new alfa to take on mini - adverse camber
www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?ID=88905&lk=dm

ITALY: Alfa plans Junior to take on Mini Cooper S

4 September 2006| Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Alfa Romeo plans to build an entry-level premium car to compete with the Mini Cooper S according to a report in Automotive News.

The sporty three-door hatchback, called the Junior, is to be based on the Fiat Grande Punto platform. But it will have a different body.

Alfa won corporate approval for the design from parent Fiat Auto S.p.A. this month, the report said.

The Junior, due by 2008, is expected to become Alfa's new entry model. It will fit below the 147, which will be replaced in early 2009 by the larger 149.

Alfa plans a return to the US market in late 2008, beginning with expensive sports cars sold through the US dealers that sell its sister brand, Maserati. But the new Mini-fighter is not slated for the United States because the Grande Punto platform was not engineered for US regulations, the report said.

The Junior is expected to sell 60,000 to 80,000 units a year, the report added.

new alfa to take on mini - mike hannon
Alfa builds 164 to take on BMW 5-series
Alfa builds 156 to take on BMW 3-series
Alfa builds Junior to take on BMW Mini
etc, etc.
It's the same old line every time and it will never be true until Alfa finally resolves its build quality and dealer quality issues.
I say this sadly - I'm an Alfa fan and ex-owner who hopes to be an owner again one day, but I know if I do succumb I'll be cursing the stupid problems that are still part of the Alfa experience.
new alfa to take on mini - Collos25
I'll wager Alfas are no worse or better than BMW's for reliability I have never seen an empty BMW workshop and the rear subframe disintergrating on the 3 series is an absolute disaster here in Germany as it requires 4 days in the workshop to replace (brushed under the carpet in the UK)and on five year old cars makes them vitually scrap.
new alfa to take on mini - Xileno {P}
Not disintegrating through corrosion, surely?
Yes the aluminiun sub frame under the petrol tank.
new alfa to take on mini - Xileno {P}
How can aluminium rust?
What is occuring is the mounting points are corroding ,rust corrode all the same to me.
new alfa to take on mini - Gromit {P}
Aluminium doesn't rust. But when it comes into contact with steel in the presence of an electrolyte (salty water, such as spray from a road treated with road salt will do nicely!) that creates a galvanic cell - a battery, effectively - in which the aluminium corrodes away.

The same thing happens in Land Rover Defenders when the rubber boots on the suspension fail - the steel suspension components and aluminium body come into contact, then the aluminium corrodes until the body collapses onto the suspension turrets.

I'd dearly like to believe this Alfa (and the 159 and 149) will be more reliable than their predecessors because I'd really, really, like one. But I can' t quite convince myself that this time it'll be different. No, really, it will :-)
new alfa to take on mini - AlanGowdy
I read last week that Lancia are to re-enter the UK market. I hope for their sake that people have short memories. Mind you, Skoda have more or less buried their erstwhile poor reputation now, so if Lancia's current line-up is genuinely improved, why not?.
new alfa to take on mini - barchettaman
.....if Lancia's current line-up is genuinely improved, why not?. .....

Problem is, the current line up is a bit of a triumph of style over substance.

They make a nice city car, the Ypsilon, comes in two-tone paint and looks the better for it (honest)
Their mini Mpv the Musa is a reskinned Fiat Idea, and that hasn´t exactly set the world on fire.
They make a luxo-barge, the Thesis - think italian Pug 607, styled by Ray Charles.
The other model is a full size MPV, a reskinned Ulysses/807/C8.

Not great. And I´m a fan - I love ´em.
new alfa to take on mini - AlanGowdy
Not great. And I´m a fan - I love ´em.

Hmmm - seems to me that our oversupplied market may not exactly be gagging for them then.