Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - GregSwain
Woke up the other morning to find my girlfriend's car looking a bit out of shape (some very naughty person had reversed into the side and driven off leaving no details). Neighbours heard noises but didn't see anything. Don't particularly want to go through insurance, as she doesn't have a protected NCD.

So, we've been going to numerous bodyshops and asking for quotes. The dent is quite large, and only affects the drivers door. All bodyshops reckon it's a simple panel beating job, but it'll need a quick spray over because the paint has been split.

Quotes we've got have ranged from £140 (small back-street place which I've always noticed doing huge repairs to a decent standard), to £310 (insurance-approved big place, good reputation etc). Both would push the dent out and fill as necessary, paint the entire door and lacquer almost the whole side of the car.

Is £140 likely to buy a decent job (I'm in the North-East so things are cheaper up here remember!), or is it worth paying over double to go to a well-known place? Any advice welcome!
Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - Altea Ego
It entirely depends on the car. If its a 2 grand clio then 140 quid job will do. If its an 8 grand clio I would go for the better job.

I have to say 140 quid is very cheap
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Forgot to say it's a 53-reg Clio, worth about £4,000. The chap that quoted £140 said he could put a new door skin on for extra cost, and pointed out a Punto he'd been working on which looked very good. I agree £140 is very cheap, but I also reckon the £300+ job is on the pricey side.
Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - martint123
Plain paint or metallic - makes a lot of difference as to how much of the side of the car would need sorting in addition to the door. Also how much you are worried about a slightly mismatched door.
It's a metallic silver. I understand that a 100% colour-match is virtually impossible, but I would like it pretty close to the rest of the car.
Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - adam f
i find that a proper panel beater will do a perfect job. a guy near me is in his late fifties and is amazing. he is extremly cheaap and always does a great job.
get recomendations and if he has shown you some work of a standered you are happy with, then i dont see a problem.
if your not happy when it comes to paying then dont pay him till the job is done.
Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - Pugugly {P}
Worth looking for a SMART repair. Local franchise attended to SWMBO's MINI following a nasty little dent caused by a (registered blind driver by the way) wayaward bit of reversing on a garage forecourt. £58.00 sorted. Insurance companies informed, paid cash for the repair and it's a good un. Google SMART repair and your area should net you one.
Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - yorkiebar
I would far prefer the local guy to a big organisation because its likely the guy you speak to will be doing the work, or at least watching its progress.

Ask him for similar car repairs and customers to talk to then ask him what happens if you are not happy with the finished result?

Let us know though.
Prices for Dent Repair - Renault Clio - Hamsafar
Can you get an A1 used door and have it painted to match and any trim transfered over that doesn't match yours?
I can always tell when a door has been straightened and filled when looking down the flank of the car.
You can see feint scalloping as you move your head and the reflection moves.
Well, decided to go for the cheaper repair, picked it up yesterday and it looks fine - even the paint has been matched well. Shows that you don't always get what you pay for.