Rover 214 Accelerator stuck on - Roadster
My missus drives a Rover 200 (Rover 214 1.4 8v bubble shape to be precise) as a second run about car. Not a great car by any stretch of the imagination but we have had no problems whatsoever since we purchased it 2nd in 2001 (car is a T reg. ?99 plate). As it?s devalued so much we see very little point in selling it until it?s totally broken!

Anyway? recently it has developed a minor fault in that the accelerator gets stuck on when idling. Instead of being around the 800rpm mark it occasionally sits there at 2000rpm. A little rev on the accelerator in neutral and the revs drop back down to the normal level.

I?ve checked around the pedal itself and nothing appears to be catching it. I?ve also looked under the bonnet and can see where the accelerator cable joins at the top of the engine. All appears fine.

Is this likely to be a serious issue if left or is there any quick DIY work around until we get the car serviced next (January)?
Rover 214 Accelerator stuck on - wrangler_rover
I have a T reg 1.4 16 valve, it had the same problem.
The revs when driving & slowing down for a roundabout or junction would shoot up to 2000 to 2500 rpm.
The plastic butterfly valve in the air intake was catching on the plastic valve body which had distorted causing it to stick open & rev.
It's a common fault, I would suggest visiting a scrap yard & buying an air intake valve off a scrap car.
This fix cured the problem on my car.
Rover 214 Accelerator stuck on - Roadster
Thanks. I'll start with the air intake valve and go from there.
Rover 214 Accelerator stuck on - hal2100

My missus had the same problem. Periodically the accelerator stuck on. Some jiggling of the pedal could usually fix it. I finally got around to doing a proper check today and found a piece of wood stuck next to the throttle in the engine bay. It was getting jammed occasionally. Doh!