Computer Related Questions - Volume 101 - PoloGirl
***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 102 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 101. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Switching ISP - Mike 996
Thinking of changing my broadband ISP. Has anyone had any experiences of doing this ? My main problem is that my email address is supplied by my present ISP. Assuming that I can't transfer this (unlike a mobile number) and I can't have two broadband accounts on one telephone line I would need to let all my contacts know my new email address. What's the way around this, a hotmail account or similar or am I going about this the wrong way ? Any suggestions welcomed !
Mike.
Switching ISP - malteser
You will certainly have to send a round robin to all contacts in your address book!
Googlemail (gmail) is , I think better in many respects than hotmail or yahoo mail. It can be configured to automatically forward all messages to a designated "regular" email address once you have establshed your mail account with your new ISP. You can then publish your gmail addres to your contacts, safe in the knowledge that you have a fixed address for as long as you want.
I think you still have to be invited to join by an existing gmail user, but this should be no problem - I could oblige if you mail me with your current email address.

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Switching ISP - Dynamic Dave
Depends on your ISP.

I left Freeserve (now Orange) approx 3 yrs ago and still use the email address as my main one. Just needed to change the SMTP settings to my new ISP, and occasionally have to go to the Orange website to "awaken" the account as they suspend accounts that aren't used for more than 90 days. By that I mean accounts that aren't used to dial up their ISP using the 0845 number.
Switching ISP - SpamCan61 {P}
.*******
Switching ISP - SpamCan61 {P}
.*******

?????????? Dunno what on earth happened there! The gist of my message was - I do the same as DD, but remember to set some sort of calender reminder for the end of the 90 days so you don't suddenly lose mail.
Switching ISP - Dynamic Dave
I do the same as DD, but remember to set some sort of calender reminder for the end of
the 90 days so you don't suddenly lose mail.

If you're using Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange (or whoever they're called this week), then once the account has been suspended (after 90 days) the account then remains in limbo for another 90 days before being deleted. I wait for the prompt telling me my mailbox isn't accessable, then goto the "reclaim a suspended account" option to wake it up for another 90 days.
Switching ISP - Statistical outlier
Buy a domain - a .co.uk address will be £10 a year tops. You can then forward email to any address of your choosing on that domain to whoever you happen to want to use at the time as your ISP. You can also forward the web address to a place of your choosing. Sure, there's a cost there, but I bet you can save more than the cost by being completely free to change ISP at any time and with no hassle of changing email addresses.

I use Namesco and have had no problems, but I bet there's cheaper out there.
Switching ISP - Pugugly {P}
GMail solves all these changing ISP problems. I now use this as my priamary account and visit Gmail periodically to double check any mails that don't jump the gap.
Switching ISP - Statistical outlier
Yes it does, but you're relying on gmail to stay free, appropriate and something you want to use.

As it happens, I agree with you and use gmail all the time, but I'm pleased my address isn't tied to them or anyone else..
Switching ISP - R75
I agree with GordonM, just buy a domain name, you can get them for about £6 a year, I use domainmonster.com for quite a few of mine as they are free to park the domain and you can then forward the email to your new isp email address - this is how I got round a problem of my old isp having mail delivery problems!!!! (I have nothing to do with domainmonster, just like the service they offer)
Switching ISP - Stuartli
If your current ISP offers a PAYG account you can keep your present e-mail address whilst you build up your base for a new one - it will only require one or two calls a month to keep it active.

This present e-mail account can be added to your new ISP's mail collection list (in Outlook Express it's Tools>Accounts>highlight your current ISP>Connection tab>and then list your new ISP as the Always Collect Mail from... If you have a LAN connection this will be the Default in the menu.

You do, of course, need a dialup modem but only need this connected using the modem lead whilst actually making a quick call to keep the PAG account active.

You presumably know about a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code)? If you don't, you have to ask your current ISP to forward one so that you can give it to your new ISP to migrate the BB service - normally you will only lose your service for a short time on a set day whilst the switchover takes place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Large print text on the Web - barchettaman
For the last few weeks certain sites (BBC, eBay for example) are coming up in a large print on certain pages. Anyone got any idea why this could be, and what, if anything, I can do about it?
Cheers,
Barchettaman
Large print text on the Web - Dynamic Dave
For the last few weeks certain sites (BBC, eBay for example) are coming up in a large print on certain pages.

Have you inadvertantly adjusted the text size in your browser? If using Internet Explorer, goto "View - Text Size" and choose one of the 5 different sizes.

If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, you can do it via that instead. Hold down the Ctrl key and scroll up for smaller text, and down for larger text.
Large print text on the Web - barchettaman
Sorted - text size was on `largest`

A thousand blessings, and may your camels never go lame.
Cheers
barchettaman
Large print text on the Web - VR6
Just a quick tip - if you have a mouse with a wheel, you can hold down CRTL and roll the wheel up and down to change the text size easily.
Large print text on the Web - Dynamic Dave
Just a quick tip

As per mentioned in my earlier post ;o)
Large print text on the Web - Stuartli
>>>> Just a quick tip>>

Or in FF either this method or Ctrl and + or - as required.
Sound - school boy
The sound on my computer has completely gone, the speakers are in the moniter. Everything is plugged in right, the mutes are off and the volume up and a CD is playing but nothing works.
Please help.

Thanks
School boy.
Sound - Pugugly {P}
Are ou running it through the generic Windows system or have you got a sound card and driver in the equation ?
Sound - school boy
I think I have a sound card, but to be honest that's all I know.
Sound - Adam {P}
Have you recently unplugged any wires?
Sound - Adam {P}
Or messed with the monitor?

Also - have you tested the sound in any other way rather than whatever software you use to play CDs?
Sound - school boy
It's ok now, I did the obvious thing and restarted it. S
orry for waisting your time, thanks anyway.
Sound - Stuartli
I did the obvious thing and restarted it.>>

It isn't, in fact, the obvious thing...:-)

A variety of causes could create the situation, including muting the sound when using, for instance, Windows Media Player.

However, it's sorted so the outcome is sound.....
Hard Drive Question - uk_in_usa
I recently set up a RAID array on my computer using 4xSeagate Barracuda SATA 400GB drives. As my tower wasn't suitable for four drives I purchased enclosures and separate external power supplies for each drive. However, they do seem to run extremely hot. I have already lost one drive although I suspect it may have been faulty from the start. Does anyone have any idea whether I would be advised to drill some ventilation holes in the enclosures and stand the drives on one of those laptop cooling fan arrangements to get some air circulating? Or dispense with the enclosures alltogether?
Hard Drive Question - Altea Ego
seagate barracudas have always been a hot drive - I would use a single enclosure with a couple of fans
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hard Drive Question - uk_in_usa
I think you're right TVM, thanks!
Hard Drive Question - SjB {P}
I just helped solve this problem for a friend, in his case with two such drives; I fitted one fan to blow ambient air directly on to the HDDs via a duct, and another to exhaust heated air from the enclosure (ie it blows out in to free space). The solution works a treat and the problem is solved, but there is of course noticeably more fan noise than with the single OEM fan fitted.
Hard Drive Question - bell boy
i think you can buy the water cooling kits at maplins for a reasonable price now
DNS Lookup problems? - SjB {P}
Since moving to my current home a few weeks ago I have had a very regular broadband problem that didn't occur at the previous address. All hardware is the same, and all configuration settings are identical bar the BT Home Gateway ID that I connect to. I am using Win XP SP2 on an IBM T42 laptop with a Netgear DG834G router over WEP enabled wireless network.

In essence MSN Messenger keeps freezing and logging out.
At the same time as this happens, web browsing ceases to work, all URLs returning "page not found".
Wait a few seconds, and all is well again; browsing works and MSN Messenger logs back in.

I know the ADSL connection itself is rock steady because my office VPN connection remains rock steady throughout.

A DNS lookup problem perhaps?
Any tests I can perform to find the cause?
Perhaps running DOS command TRACERT during a period of the problem manifesting?

Thanks!
DNS Lookup problems? - Dalglish
sjb - try resetting the mtu to a lower value on your netgear first, as that may cure it.

instructions here:
ask-leo.com/i_cant_access_some_websites_why.html
and alsomidway down the page, in the section headed "dr. tcp" at this tiscali link:
tinyurl.com/nd77y

Thanks, Dalglish.

My MTU was set to 1300. Given that this is already lower than the 1492 example used as a starting point I have set the second choice of 576 and rebooted.
Will be amazed if this is the reason (Advertised ADSL performance has been pretty well spot on whenever checked and Cisco VPN never drops out), but I have nothing to lose, so stay tuned!

Cheers,
SjB

Thanks for the suggestion, but within ten minutes of changing the MTU and rebooting I've had the problem twice; page unavailable, MSN drops out, but Cisco VPN still works fine.

Will set reset MTU (to 1492 as 1300 seems to be an oddball number).

Am open to trying other reasonable settings changes or calling BT if equipped with the info to hold my own in the conversation.
DNS Lookup problems? - Dalglish
but within ten minutes of changing the MTU and rebooting I've had the problem twice

>>

i used to get a similar loss of internet traffic when my "agnitum outpost" firewall was selected to block intruders ip on repeated attack scans. outpost then used to block all netgear traffic via 192.168.x.x for the set duration.

DNS Lookup problems? - Stuartli
Try DrTCP. See:

www.the-scream.co.uk/html/resources/adsl_tweaks.ht...l

Useful website re broadband tweaking:

www.speedguide.net/
DNS Lookup problems? - Altea Ego
SjB I am 99% sure this is caused by your physical connection. You are loosing synch momentarily and loosing the path, The VPN hangs on in there as its designed to do.

Its caused by high noise levels or low signal strength on the link. Does your netgear provide you with your DB signal strength levels?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DNS Lookup problems? - adverse camber
TVM is probably right, but there is also a possibility of interference in the wireless signal.

any other networks near you ? try changing the channel you use. Does it happen at specific times of day or coincide with anything else or does it seem random. Are you on a fixed rate connection or on dslmax ? is the phone wiring good or could there be a problem with socket or filters ?

lots of people report dropouts on dslmax esp while trsaining - its possible its trying to reset its max speed.
DNS Lookup problems? - Another John H
Does your netgear provide you with your DB signal strength levels?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Yes it does:

in your web browser type

press entrer, then user name ADMIN, and your password.

Down the lefthand side of the screen under maintenance, click router status, then
at the bottom of the centre pane click show statistics.

My DG834G figures are upstream at 58dB line attenuation and 11 dB noise margin,
due to distance from the exchange, which is a bit on the thin side.
But it doesn't freeze as you describe.
DNS Lookup problems? - Ross_D
Try diasbling the Windows wireless zero configuration service, it cured that exact problem for me on my DG834G.. Go to control panel > Administrative tools > Services and find the above mentioned service. Right click it and stop it. Then from the drop down disable it. Wireless and internet access should be fine from then on. :-)
Many thanks All for the kind suggestions.

Network strength:
For aesthetic reasons, the DG834G is hidden in an office cupboard (with a false back so it remains as cool as if worktop mounted). The T42 laptop is located 2 metres from it and the signal strength is always "Excellent".

Other networks:
I can "see" three other networks (and connect to two of them as I did in the week it took BT to hook mine up!). If other methods don't work, I will switch channels.

Line quality stats:
Connection speed: Downstream 2272kbps Upstream 288kbps
Line attenuation: Downstream 11db Upstream 2db
Noise margin: Downstream 17db Upstream 25db
Is this good, bad, or average please?

Windows wireless zero configuration service:
Now switched off.
I won't touch anything else until I learn that the problem still happens.
If it doesn't, I'll leave everything else alone and this switched off.

Thanks again and stay tuned; whatever the outcome I will report back.
DNS Lookup problems? - Ross_D
You'll have to actually disable the service by double clicking on it (Sorry if I didnt make that clear) and diasbling it from the pull down as well as stopping it, otherwise it will restart and cause problems. (Thats if it does cure your problem!!)
DNS Lookup problems? - Statistical outlier
If you disable the service permanently, the computer will not connect to the router when you turn it on. You would also have to turn off the DHCP service on your router, and allocate a fixed IP address on every device that attaches to it. Hassle.

Less hassle, should this turn out to solve your problem, would be to do the following:

Create a shortcut (right click and drag, select make shortcut) on your desktop or start menu to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe

then right click on it and change the target to read:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe stop wzcsvc

Now, when you run the shortcut, it will stop the service. Should you also want to be able to start the service again easily, make another shortcut and replace the word stop with start in the above target.

HTH

Gord.

To my surprise, your suggestion appears to have solved the problem, Ross D; 24 hours later the problem hasn't manifested once whereas it was previously happening up to several times an hour. For the record as I tried changing it from the original value of 1300 down to 576, MTU is now set to 1500, this being the recommended value from the line test site that Stuartli kindly recommended (and which I have bookmarked).

As it happens, Gordon, I have already allocated fixed IP addresses to the five devices on the wireless home network (the router, three laptops, and a Canon WiFi printer) as it makes things like file transfer between devices very easy; simple shortcuts saved as IE Favourites suffice as a means of opening the destination folder). When troubleshooting or setting up guests (colleagues sometimes work from my home) it's also easier to know who's-who.

I have however created the shortcut you mention as an easy way of stopping the required service after startup when I'm working at the home office (the problem never occurs when I'm at any of our "office offices" worldwide and connected to our Corpnet)

Many thanks for all the help from all who offered it.
Uh oh. :-(

I was too hasty; the problem has resurrected countless times today despite a check that the wireless configuration service is switched off.
For comparison - 'my DG834G is a long way from the exchange and my figures are
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3968 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 14 db
Noise Margin 13 db 23 db

I'm on dslmax.

Firmware V2.10.22
ADSL Firmware Version 3.02.06.00

uPnP off.
the diagnostics section of the router will do dns lookus / pings.

or try nslookup www.whatever.com from cmd on the laptop. tracert/ping dont neccesarily show useful stuff.

make a note of the ip address of a reliable site and try accessing it by ip address when the problem occurs, or put a suitable entry in the hosts file.

there was an xp issue with dns cache polution - cant remember the details but it did affect firefox. solved with ipconfig/flushdns
oh yes - I get a static IP from my isp, I run nat and dhcp from the router but reserve addresses for some machines - its all in the options - means that the laptop allways gets the same ip at home but I dont have to fiddle with settings when I go elsewher e because its still done through dhcp.

are you seeing the router disconnect ? how long does it say its been connected ?
Thanks, Mark.

My router is on later firmwhere releases than yours (V3.01.25 / ADSL 4.01.02.00) but I haven't found anything in later release notes about this version having troubles such as I experience.

UPnP is "on" but if worth a shot I will turn it off.

Will try your nslookup suggestion next time the problem happens.

I can't get a static externall IP address from BT as a home user, but as written above I do use fixed IP addresses for all internal connections on my network. Like you, however, I do also use DHCP.

Something I just found; looking through the DG's log files, I can see entries that appear to tally with when I have experienced the described problem. Using the timestamps to link related messages together, here are the last two occurences:

Tue, 2006-09-12 13:44:45 - LCP down.
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:44:46 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:44:47 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:44:53 - CHAP authentication success
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:44:55 - Loss of synchronization :74

Tue, 2006-09-12 13:47:23 - LCP down.
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:47:24 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:47:24 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2006-09-12 13:47:25 - Loss of synchronization :75

The "74" and "75" is a counter (I can trace sequentially back to 1) but what is this telling me, please?

I see there is no CHAP (Challenge-Handshake Authentication Protocol from a quick Google) entry for the second example above but don't know how relevant this is.
SjB

thats your link going down.

LCP is the protocol that handles the connection.

Looks like you keep dropping out. could be a fault on the line, filters, house wiring etc,etc. Might be worth asking for a line test. - you could check the connection info again when it hapens though - see if the noise or attenuation are getting worse.

It could just be dslMAx playing its games. does it happen under particular circumstances - like pouring rain eg?

I would check your phone wires and filters, then ask for a line test and ask if interleaving is on or off on your line. (on makes it more reliable but slows your ping - prob only bother you for online games)

There is a 'fix' for noise problems that involves cutting one of the bt wires - the one that handles the ring signal - not needed with filters.
www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

exlains attenuation and has some sample figures.
>>>exlains attenuation and has some sample figures.

Most interesting, ta, and bookmarked

For info I am now working through a set of questions with BT. Despite a concise description and the log file details I sent, I got what I believe to be a "standard" reply back; a majority were clearly answered by the original mail and it looks like the questions I have been asked are based on a simple keyword search without an ounce of thought being applied. Somewhat frustrating having taken the trouble to ask an intelligently crafted question to be treated like an oik who fired from the hip.

Anyway, I will go through the hoops for the questions that weren't answered in my original mail to BT, all to do with physical connection aspects; try another filter, try connecting without a filter, etc, etc.
Ahh, the joy of customer service.

.*******
DNS Lookup problems? - Altea Ego
Its gonna be your line. The fact its happened since you moved into a new place is a biggish clue.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Indeed so, TVM, as shown by the LCP info in the log file, but what is odd is that my Cisco VPN client - which appears devoid of any keep-alive techniques - doesn't drop out, even though web browsing and MSN Messenger do.
Website Images and Resolutions - Adam {P}
Good (checks watch) Afternoon Gents - I was wondering if you could help me.

I'm making a simple website for a company as a favour and of course, I have all these grandiose plans but I've hit upon a problem. I spent hours making a nice logo for the opening page which on my monitor (a resolution of 1280x1024) it looks fine. However, on the computers at the place of the business, it does not.

A little more info - I haven't looked at it on the machines at the company yet, but I've been told over the phone. I thought I knew why this was. The machines at the company run on 800x600 and 1024x768 and I'd forgotten about my resolution being so high so obviously, the image would look massive on those monitors. So, I resized the image to optimise it for 1024x768 and above. (I know I should really do it for 800x600 but I just can't work with that!).

However, this has presented a new problem. I uploaded the image and got a call saying it looks funny. The logo in question is the company name on a cut out of graph paper. Apparently, the graph has been distorted so that the lines are uneven. I checked the page with my own computer on all sorts of different resolutions and whilst the sizes are obviously off, it still maintained it's integrity.

Now, one of the computers is a laptop and is running on 1024x800 (I know). They've taken a screenshot of the image at my request and emailed it to me and the lines do look mispaced.

Firstly, why is this? I could understand if I'd been messing around with optimisation but I haven't yet. And why is it fine on all resolutions of my monitor and not someone elses?

Secondly, and perhaps more stupidly, would you optimise it for 800x600 or 1024x768? I'd rather do the latter but I'm unsure as to just how many people use each resolution. I'm sure I heard ages ago that there was a way of setting an image to take up a percentage of the screen but I'm not sure if I'd have to mess about with tables and layers.

Any help would be much appreciated - don't worry about sounding patronising or anything as I really should know this and do need the help. Any advice or pointers would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Many, many thanks,

Adam
Website Images and Resolutions - Chips with everything
As you suspect, it's because they are running a resolution on a laptop that your desktop monitor cannot support.

I'd suggest using a laptop to resize the current logo until it's acceptable, then detecting what the native resolution was on the display it's being used on and using this to determine which logo to display.

HTH.
Website Images and Resolutions - Dalglish
adam - sorry as this is not a specific answer to yor question. as you will be aware, people dislike visiting badly designed websites. as you are designing a new website, i hope that your design reflects some of the suggestions made here:

www.webdesignfromscratch.com/
www.ratz.com/features.html

wish you success with your project.

Many thanks for your advice.

I'll sit down with some coffee and read over those websites D.

Thanks again for the help,

Adam
Me again!

I've actually tried resizing the image in Photoshop but this time I'm paying attention and as soon as I resize it, I lose some lines in the graph and get big white gaps before I even put it onto the page.

Any ways around this or should I do a new logo?
Website Images and Resolutions - Statistical outlier
how did you generate it in the first place? Is it a vector or a bitmap? If the latter, then you could play around with the interpolation algorythms, but other than that, you may be stuck with re-doing it.
Memory Upgrade - Round The Bend
Our Dell PC, at 4 years old, is positively geriatric, but as it works OK we would like to keep it going for a while yet. Problem is that the memory (RAM?) at 128 mb is painfully inadequate. How can I go about upgrading to 256 mb? Is this a simple job (I?m the simpleton). How much would it cost and what precautions should I take?
_______
IanS
Memory Upgrade - adverse camber
www.crucial.com/uk/

go through their memory selector and it will give you the spec of what you can fit.

memory is easy to change / add/
Memory Upgrade - daveyjp
The only time I ever messed with anything inside a computer was to add a memory module. Even I managed it without killing myself! The cost of memory modules is reasonable, I'd consider and increase to 512 or even 1meg rather than 256.
Memory Upgrade - bell boy
i agree dont go for 256 go to 512 i paid £60 at maplins for a stick of this last week but you may well get it cheaper on the tinternet,just make sure that you can actually remove the old one on your computator first and its not glued in or anything to stop messers
Memory Upgrade - Stuartli
I would agree that you need at least 512MB - most laptops I've seen have a fairly straightforward route to changing the memory via a removable section on the underside of the machine.
Memory Upgrade - DP
My only gripe with Dell is that often standard components don't fit. You'll probably find you have to buy memory for a Dell PC rather than generic memory.

But check first obviously.

Cheers
DP
Memory Upgrade - Altea Ego
Memory is now usually memory, and dell cant mess around with that. Wasnt always the case but memory is fairly generic these days.

Dont try and get a dell motherboard tho. thats an indiana jones jobie.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Memory Upgrade - Victorbox
I have a 4 year old IBM T23 laptop running XP Pro originally with just 128Mb RAM. Agree with oldman - I stuck a 512Mb Maplin stick in it (two minute job via plastic flap on underside) & it totally transformed the laptop.
>>with just 128Mb RAM>>

That's because the minimum specification for XP Pro is 256MB.
Memory Upgrade - Dalglish
the minimum specification for XP Pro is 256MB.

>>

according to microsoft, the manufacturer of xp-pro, the minimum is just 64 !! :

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs...x

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
? 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

Well even if, for argument's sake, 64MB is taken as the bare minimum, it still wouldn't leave much RAM left for anything else..:-)

I used to have 256MB on my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ system and it struggled to cope at times - upping it to 512MB brought considerable improvement. What's more I'm not into games, video editing etc. just normal every day use.

To be honest Microsoft's "minimum" specifications have always had to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Memory Upgrade - Adam {P}
I've got a gig of RAM and let me warn you - don't get Vista unless you plan on doubling that!
Memory Upgrade - Altea Ego
Nicolle is running windows XP on 128mb in her laptop. Ok its been tweaked a little but not much.

It has XP SP1, + selected fixes, (sp2 bloats things too much) MS office 2003, and full networking and wireless card,

Performance is actually quite quite good, not at all sluggish. Works well with one one word doc open and one spreadsheet, they dont have ot be tiny ones either

Of course once people start to load them up with carp, it all goes to rat poo.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Memory Upgrade - Baskerville
Presumably that's because it's running on the kind of hardware that was common when XP came out in 2001. It's not so much carp as stuff that came after about 2002/3 that needs more hardware. Not that you'll catch me defending Microsoft or anything, but they couldn't plan for what emerged since XP appeared (including sp2). The problem now is that in computing terms XP is ancient and many people want to do 2006 stuff with it on machines that are 5 years old and lacking somewhat.
>>Works well with one one word doc open and one spreadsheet, they dont have ot be tiny ones either>>

Now there's a surprise...:-)
Memory Upgrade - Victorbox
"That's because the minimum specification for XP Pro is 256MB." I know that 128Mb is not enough only too well, hence I stuck in another 512Mb for 640Mb - the "just" was to emphasise too little. Enough memory will transform even a 5 year old PC.
VPN Set Up - R75
I have set up a VPN using windows xp. I have done everything it said - set static ip for host, port forwarding on the router etc, etc. It connects but I only get to see the networked documents about 1 try in 20 and for the life of me I can't understand why - anyone got any ideas or links to fool/idiot proof set up guides I can try - or easy to use free software??? Cheers in advance.
VPN Set Up - Adam {P}
TU,

Are you managng to connect and are just having browsing problems or is it not conneting full stop?
VPN Set Up - R75
It is connecting, and authorising, I can see the connection on the host, but if I try and access any folders that are shared it just comes up with error messages about no access granted - even though it has connected a couple of times and I have accessed the folders, all the settings have remained the same!!!!! also, all the folders show and acess is fine when using a wireless connection to the network through the smae router as the host is on.
VPN Set Up - adverse camber
Broadband or isdn?
What is the network setup - hardware and software?
XP on the client ? What on the server ? using citrix or TS ?
What can be seen from the server side ?
what are the access restrictions on the server ?

thought about using unix?
VPN Set Up - R75
Its BB, But only a small home office set up, basically I use a laptop when on the road and visiting clients, but would like to be able to access the stuff in my shared folders whilst out and about - the host is using XP Pro and the client is using XP home (i'm too cheap to bother upgrading it). It goes through a Linksys wireless router which I am sure is configured correctly. As I said, it connects fine, and does all the hand shakes - client says it is connected, host sees it as connected - I have even been able to access the shard folders a few times, but the majority of the time it just comes up with "Access permissions" type error messages - So I assume something is blocking it somewhere, but I can't see where!!
VPN Set Up - R75
Oh, and as for hardware, the host is a Athlon 3500 with 2gb ram, and the client is a Lenovo C100, but if I can get it working then I would also like to get my XDA2i to conncet to it!!
are you fully patched ? There were problems with vpn on winxp which needed a set of ms patches (muyst admit , I didnt think xp home did vpn). There were also problems using nat with vpn. Are you using nat ?

Is the linksys on the latest firmware ? I once spent ages trying to get vpn set up with a client, only in the end to find a known issue with their cisco kit.

Other than that I would say it comes down to the windows shares. Anything in the alert log ?
www.computing.net/networking/wwwboard/forum/25769....l

does this help at all ?
BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good afternoon, this broadband modem is acting a bit cranky! Sometimes very slow to initialise and sign on and, from time to time, it causes the whole computer to crash. The report I am invited to send to Microsoft mentions the modem as the source of my problems. However, when I go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Modem the thing is not listed as present on my computer! The original internal dial-up model is recognised, the external Voyager 105 is not so I can't check properties or update the drivers. Any advice please?
BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem - Altea Ego
However, when I go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Modem the thing is not listed as present on my computer! The original internal dial-up model is recognised, the external Voyager 105 is not so I can't check properties or update the drivers. Any advice please

Its not listed under modems, check the tabs for USB. You can also do it from control panel/network connections.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks TVM - it isn't listed there either, I have 4 Universal Host controllers and 1 enhanced universal host controller also 5 USB root hubs ,Printing support and a mass storage device. Everything that is listed says it is working correctly. I guess I could reinstall the modem drivers from the supplied CD?
BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem - Stuartli
In Device Manager is it listed under Network Adapters?
Many thanks Stuart - top of the class for you! I have found it in Network adapter and I am told it is working OK. It only crashes rarely but, when it does, it seems to wipe out all the restore points in Symantec Go-Back and Windows XP which is a bit of a downer! I am off for a few days tomorrow but investigation will continue on my return. Many thanks to all who offered help! I regard the problem as solved!
BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem - Pugugly {P}
Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from BT support site ?
I clicked on an option to update drivers from within the Control Panel, system, harware profiles menu. I wasn't aware that there is a possibility of doing so thru BT. I am going to France for a few days tomorrow so I'll try when I get back assuming I survive a certain cheap Irish airline, enhanced security both ways and a surfeit of garlic, smelly cheese and vino collapso!
BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem - carl_a
Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a ADSL router instead, much nicer and won't use your computers resources.
Burning music - BazzaBear {P}
I have pretty much all my music now stored on my hard drive. I want to be able to burn it to CD's to be listened to in the car. Unfortunately I have a few requirements which don't seem to work together. Can anyone recommend a piece of software which allows me to do this?
The problems are as follows:
I want the music on my computer to be reasonably good quality, since I use a Soundbridge to play it through my Hi-Fi, so it's ripped at 320kbps.

For the car, the difference in bit-rate isn't really noticeable, so it's most important to just fit as much as possible on each CD, so I want to burn at 120kbps.

In order for my car stereo to recognise and be able to usefully skip between tracks and albums, i need to be able to nurn the music into folders on the CD.

Media Player actually manages the first two, I can burn at a different rate to ripping, but it won't let me burn to folders.

Thanks for any help.
Another thought - If someone can recommend a decent program which can convert bit-rates for mp3's, I can do the rest myself manually.
Burning music - Baskerville
I'm pretty sure Audacity can do this:

audacity.sourceforge.net/
Burning music - cheddar
Media play burns to folders by default IME so each album is a different folder for instance.
Media play burns to folders by default IME so each album
is a different folder for instance.

I hadn't realised that, from the appearence of the interface I just assumed it didn't.
Thinking on it, it's still not as good for me as it could be. In order for my car stereo to allow you to easily flick between albums, the folders have to have a two digit number before the name. (In the same way as the tracks, as mentioned by someone else)
I have found a program called CDMaster32 which will do the job, if I have any problems with it, I'll try one of the other suggestions on here. Thanks people.
Burning music - SpamCan61 {P}
I use MusicMatch to do precisely this, although the 'on the fly' MP3 conversion slows down the transfer to CD-R no end.

As others have suggested Audacity probably does the MP3 rate conversion, I use Goldwave for the same purpose. IIRC MusicMatch will also do MP3 rate conversion .

Like I always say at this point when discussing in car MP3 usage you probaly need to make sure the MP3 file name sstart with atwo digit track number if you want the tracks to play back in the right order, unlkess your incar MP3 player is cleverer than mine .
Burning music - Stuartli
I've never used it but JetAudio is usually the recommendation for most audio tasks apart from Audacity. See:

www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/ (the Cowon website) or

www.filehippo.com/download_jetaudio/

for full details.