Wrong oil? - caesar
Picked up my golf gttdi from the dealers on thursday after having it serviced.
When i got home i had a look at the sheet/receipt that they give you and got a bit worried that they had put the wrong oil in my car( 140bhp pd).
When i phoned them up the service manager said that he had looked at the job sheet and according to that the right spec oil had been put in but a mistake had been made when writing out the receipt.He said that i had been lucky really as i had now had a cheap service as the oil on the receipt was half the price of the pd stuff.Do you think that this sort of thing can happen or have they just put a bag over my head and kicked my butt out the door(so to speak).
Wrong oil? - yorkiebar
Yep it could be true either way.

What oil have they put in anyway if its the wrong stuff?

Go in and ask to look at job sheet so you canbe sure; see what they say? se what they show you?
Wrong oil? - Bill Payer
I take it 'dealer' is a VW franchise dealer? If so, one would hope that the mechanic servicing the car would know the right oil to put in.

I got myself into such a tizzy about this when getting my Merc serviced (the oil type is critical for the variable servicing) that I ended up supplying my own. Even then, for all I know, the mechanic could have taken it home and put some old rubbish in my engine.
Wrong oil? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I read what your write BP. Isn't it an awful comment on our trust in the capability and integrity of even our prestige car dealerships that we can think that such a thing might be possible? Taking the oil home I mean!
Wrong oil? - Collos25
You do not seriously believe that main dealers have vasts amount of different oils for different cars do you?.They have one oil for petrol engines and one for diesel if your lucky.
Wrong oil? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well surely they should have Andy? Aren't there 2 different spec VW oils, depending on whether a car is on fixed or variable servicing? Combined with having petrol and diesel engines doesn't that make 4 oils in stock + some ordinary stuff for the older cars?
Wrong oil? - jc2
You'll be lucky if it comes out of a 40-gallon drum;it probably comes out of a 1000 gallon tank.
Wrong oil? - cheddar
I would be worried, I would ask to see the job sheet and unless it was as plain as day, i.e the job sheet had not been ammened etc, I would ask them to change the oil again, not the filter, just dump the oil and refill. Either way I would ask for a new receipt showing the correct oil to keep with the car's history re when selling it.
Wrong oil? - Aprilia
Almost impossible to prove one way or the other without having an oil analysis.

I suspect that there are an awful lot of cars driving about with the 'wrong' oil in them.
Wrong oil? - Number_Cruncher
I agree Aprilia.

I know that the garage (and the other garages in the group) where I used to work has one bulk oil tank, and everything that comes into the workshop gets a sump full of that.

In most cases, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference - if it did, total engine failures caused by lubrication failure would be much more common than they actually are.

The obvious exceptions being VW PD engines with their heavily loaded injector cam, so called "long life" servicing regimes, and Fords needing 5W30 to avoid sticking valve problems.

Number_Cruncher
Wrong oil? - cheddar
The obvious exceptions being VW PD engines with their heavily loaded
injector cam, so called "long life" servicing regimes, and Fords needing
5W30 to avoid sticking valve problems.

Exceptions? Take all VAG PD's, Seat, Skoda, Audi, VW and all Fords (inc PD Galaxys) and you have a significant proportion of the total, then take MB and BMW who both quote a required oil spec, it seems that most cars need to be use the manufacturer specified oil.
Wrong oil? - Collos25
Well surely they should have Andy? Aren't there 2 different
spec VW oils, depending on whether a car is on
fixed or variable servicing? Combined with having petrol and diesel
engines doesn't that make 4 oils in stock some ordinary
stuff for the older cars?

Maybe they should but they don't