'04 Punto ATF change - aaflyer
As the Punto is approaching its 25000 mile service interval, I read that HJ says that:

"Internal and external filters together with the ATF of the Speedgear box MUST [HJ's emphasis] be changed at 24k miles."

In the manual it simply says to check the ATF levels (which I do monthly) at 24,000 miles; nowhere does it say to change it. In addition, the service sheet for the Fiat-approved dealership places a simple tick box for the mechanic to check that the levels are o.k. However, I actually agree with HJ's advice as this would seem the best option to remove any pieces of carp in the system.

If I ask the dealership to change the fluid, how would I know for sure that they had done so? Is it an easy job...? With oil I can see the difference; ATF seems to always remain that fresh red colour...

Suggestions are most welcome. Cheers
'04 Punto ATF change - GregSwain
ATF gets darker with use (well, it certainly does in power steering systems). Take a sample of the oil before the service, take some after, and compare the colour - the newer stuff should be marginally lighter, but with only 24,000 miles I don't know how much difference there will be!

Conventional autoboxes don't need such frequent changes (I've known cars to do 100,000 miles on the original ATF), neither do power steering systems for that matter. Not familar with the fiat gearbox, but a normal gear-oil change is just as simple as changing the engine oil.

Certainly no harm in getting it changed though - I'm aware that the Fiat box isn't the most reliable auto around, so a bit of fresh ATF every 24,000 miles might make it last a bit longer in the long-term.
'04 Punto ATF change - aaflyer
Thanks, Greg. Appreciate the advice

AA