old cheap + fast... - phil garner
I am looking to get rid of my '87 Golf and get something early 90's and cheap. Really looking for something big and fast with lots of toys.

At the moment I am considering a '92/'93 Vauxhall Senator 24V as they seem to go for around £1500 in loot. This seems incredibly cheap to me, anyone got any nightmare stories about them?

Also big French metal appeals too, maybe a 605 3.0 SVE (0-60 8secs!) or even an Alfa 164 Cloverleaf. The great thing about the senator is the easy mechanicals and cheaper repairs. Bet you can't find Pug 605 parts down the scrapyard!
Rover 620ti.....ctxt - Richard Loweth
But beware the "caveat emptor" in HJ's "Car-by-Car Breakdown". From what I hear, I have the sluggish but more "luxurious" 618il, they are very fast!
Re: Rover 620ti.....ctxt - honest john
The Loot Senators Phil has spotted are probably ex-police manuals which have gone through at least one private owner. But you can buy ex-police T5s 2 - 3 years old with around 120,000 on them for less than £5,000 at auction. BCA Blackbushe sometimes has a few ex Hants cars. West Oxfordshire Motor Auctions has a big police auction twice a month. See website auction directory.

HJ
Re: Rover 620ti.....ctxt - phil garner
HJ, thanks for the reply. Last week in loot there were about 5 24 valvers with Auto box and leather. The police ones had no leather and were all manuals with no air con or sunroof and manual windows!

I wouldn't mind a Police one though - at least they have been well looked after.

No way I am getting a Rover though, we had an 825SD and it was a terrible car - had awful build quality. Decent engine though. 600's might be better though - it is just a Honda after all!
Re: Rover 620ti.....ctxt - Richard Tickner
The Rover 600 and 800 turbos had either the M16 or T16 Rover twin cam engine engine depending on year. T16 on later cars as mine has. This is very powerful and quick car even without the turbo and is an acclaimed engine and bullet proof.
Re: Rover 620ti.....ctxt - honest john
The 620 had a Rover rather than Honda engine. No such thing as a Honda Accord Turbo.

HJ
Re: old cheap + fast... - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Only Achilles heel on the Senator, especially high mileage is that it will probably need a timing chain replacement at about £1000. Personally I wouldnt touch the Pug or the Alfa. Lovely to look at but the running costs are why they are so cheap to buy. Volvo would be my choice.
Re: old cheap + fast... - Gavin
If you want a big speedy motor with all the toys consider the Saab 9000.

I have a 92 9000 CDS, with the 200hp 2.3 Turbo engine, lots of leather, climate control, good condition, FSH, 100k on the clock for which I paid less than 3k in a private sale last summer.

0-60 in about 7.3 but that isnt my driving style and I tend to find the torquey midrange acceleration much more fun.

Parts are expensive, but they can be found at a decent price if the main dealers are avoided.
Re: old cheap + fast... - phil garner
Yeah I was thinking about a SAAB. They are also ludicrously cheap. What is the future for the car market? How long can this go on?

10 year old cars still in perfectly good condition are being exchanged for such low amounts of money, because 3 year old cars are so cheap because most people have enough money to drive newish cars. We are just going to run out of space in scrapyards. I cannot understand why the Government continue to encourage the purchase of new, more 'eco friendly' cars. They do not consider the pollution caused when making new cars - I reckon there should be tax breaks for keeping cars of a certain age on the road.

End of rant. Back to dreaming about a Saab 9000 Carlsson :)
Re: old cheap + fast... - gavin
Dreaming of a 9000 Carlsson?

If you are willing to go 8-10 years old one could be yours for less than 1/2 the price of a new supermini...... so much car for you money
Re: old cheap + fast... - steve
Agree 9000 was a good car, I used to own one and it's speed was allways a surprise. I think this was mainly due to the fact that the top half of the steering wheel completely obscured most of the speedometer and tachometer. Being of average height with no obvious deformaties I wonder who saab employed on their ergonomics or test driving.
Re: old cheap + fast... - dafydd tomos
A classic 900 turbo would also be a good bet. I've driven a 900 16v for 5yrs and 60,000 miles - the only bit to go was the headgasket at around 120k.
Even cheaper - but not as luxurious - VW Jetta 16v 0-60.
Re: old cheap + fast... - Tom Stoddart-Scott
I also agree these cars are great my father is on his 5th and has driven well over half a million miles in them still got one with 215000 on the clock

If you want good Saab servicing try Griffen Autotecnics in Boroughbridge North Yorkshire just off the A1
Re: old cheap + fast... - honest john
The 16v Jetta got to 60 indecently quickly because it could just manage to do so in 2nd gear - at very close to 7,000 rpm if I remember right. The Jetta 16v was a brilliant 'sleeper' of a car. Handles much better than the Mk II Golf GTi 16v as well because the bodyshell was much stiffer. Also uses no more fuel. But does need at least 97Ron Super and would prefer 98 or German 99Ron Super. There is a mod to make it accept 95, but its expensive. We still run an old Jetta GT mainly because it's worth nothing and there's no point in replacing it for the use it gets put to until it's completely knackered.

HJ
Re: old cheap + fast... - Richard Tickner
I have recently bought a 1994 Rover 820 Vitesse fastback turbo for the princely sum of £1000. 0-60 in 7 secs and 147mph. How about that for a bargain. It is black with leather Recaro interior, electric everything and climate control.