Honda Civic experiences - BobbyG
A female friend is looking to replace her 97 Civic with the new shape Civic. At this stage not interested in any other cars.

As with any car purchase, I am recommending that she buys used rather than brand new but these Civics seem to be few and far between on the used lots, and certainly seem to be holding their value.

What should we be looking at, she probably does less than 10k a year. Will the 1.4 be enough or is it underpowered for such a big heavy car? Are there any issues which we should be aware of? I have already told her that as part of the test drive she needs to take it to a car park and practice some reversing due to the rear windscreen visibility issues.

Any help / advices gratefully received.
Honda Civic experiences - Falkirk Bairn
There are discounts available on the Civic 1.4s as the choice is really the 1.8 or the 2.2 diesel.
The 1.4 is too small for the new Civic according to the magazines.

My DiL has a Civic 1.8 and in her normal running gets 40+ mpg and 46 on a long run.

If she likes Honda and wants a 1.4 they make the Jazz which is more suited to the 1.4 or even a 1.2 - In Thailand (where some Civics are built) they do a 1.5 Jazz but not here.
Honda Civic experiences - Statistical outlier
I had a 1.4 new Civic as a courtesy car. Only did about 40 miles, but my impression was that it was masively underpowered. It gives a good thump in the back in first gear, but beyond third there is just nothing. At all. I ended up changing down to about third to try and get past someone on a dual carriageway. I woulnd't touch it. Glacial is an understatement, overtaking a complete impossibility.

On the other hand I'd expect it to be blisteringly fast with the diesel, as the same engine shifts my Accord Estate pretty impressively.

Other comments - car felt a bit plastic inside, although the dashboard is cool (thought I would hate it but actually not). Start button was already annoying and I only started it three times. Rear vision is worse than my old Xsara Coupe - I didn't think that was possible! Would be a pig to reverse park. Ride seemed good tho, aircon was very powerful (perhaps not helping performance, but was a vey hot day), radio seemed good.
Honda Civic experiences - Edward
A friend has just replaced his 1.6 306 with a 1.8 Civic and is very happy. Interior is different in a cool sort of way - especially the dash. Tip up back seat bench is a really good idea especially as the rear doors open so wide. Dealer experience a lot better than for his Peugeot.
Thanks for your input guys, going with her on Tues to have a look. According to the Honda website there is only one used new shape Civic within 50 miles of me under £15K!
Think this one is going to be a long search, maybe wait till the new reg are out!
Honda Civic experiences - Peter S
Thanks for your input guys, going with her on Tues to
have a look. According to the Honda website there is only
one used new shape Civic within 50 miles of me under
£15K!

Surely a new one is less than that? Drivethedeal.com have the 1.8 VTEC SE for under £14k...

Peter
Honda Civic experiences - Avant
As Gordon has mentioned, rear visibility is appalling, so make sure your friend includes reversing in her test drive. SWMBO had an old-shape Civic 2.0 type S - very good car apart from the vast turning circle. Check that the new one isn't also thus afflicted.
Honda Civic experiences - stevied
Poor rear vision seems to be a common afliction on modern cars. I love my A3 (see recent post "I like my Audi..." I appear to be turning into the endearing Murphy the Cat!) but it's rear vision is appalling. I freely admit to being a shortie, but it really is not good. Haven't driven a Civic, but I've seen those pillars and rear window, I think said A3 is a paragon of reversing virtue in comparison!
Honda Civic experiences - Perturbed
I've got the 2.2 diesel version of the new Civic and I love it. Reversing isn't much different to other cars really, and rear visibility is not that bad. Big wing mirrors help out also. The 1.4 is a non starter as it is underpowered. The 1.8 petrol manages along quite nicely, but hasn't got the sheer grunt of the diesel.
Well we went for the test drive yesterday and my friend has decided that she definitely wants a Civic and is looking at the 1.8 SE VTEC Model. Took a lengthy test drive including some parking at the local retail park and she found it very easy, commenting on the good mirrors.

As this will most likely be a deal with no trade in, we are able to look at internet dealers / brokers. Dealer that we test drove at yesterday is offering her brand new one with metallic paint for £14500, a discount of £500 on RRP.

Can anyone recommend a dealer / broker that they have had personal experience dealing with?
Honda Civic experiences - Falkirk Bairn
Jamjar.co.uk = £13,400 for a 1.8SE Civic.

Put that under the dealer's nose and he might give a few more ££s discount rather than see you walk.

Might be better to wait till 2nd half of Sept when the dealers will know if they have met their targets or whether they need to shift some cars at bigger discounts in order for them to make their quota committment.

Friend was told £5,500 at end of July for a brand new KA - at the end of the August it was £4995 - almost 10% off an already keen price for a brand new motor.
Mr Brockville, think the price you are looking at is for an "S", not an SE. The price they are quoting for the SE is £14200 plus metallic would take it to more than the dealer is quoting.

Drivethedeal is quoting £14140 inc the metallic paint and they seem to be relatively straightforward in that they are UK supplied and deal through a dealer. Just depends on whether they have any dealers up in Scotland!
Have phoned Drive the deal and they do not supply in Scotland, we would need to go down to the Midlands to collect the car from a dealer there. Would still work out cheaper but a bit more hassle.

Have now found an ex demonstrator for £13500 so may go for that as it will be available within the week. They are not prepared to negotiate on the price, in their own words they don't need to, demand is exceeding supply!
Honda Civic experiences - blue_haddock
Bobby, when i worked for Toyota i used to supply quite a few cars to people from north of the border. They would fly down to east midlands airport and i would pick them up from there so why not speak to drive the deals dealer and see if they could do something similar?
Kev, thats exactly what they did suggest! Both DTD and dealer are quoting a new build so delivery date late October however condition of her current car is suggesting she needs to change very soon thus the reason for looking at the demonstrator!
Well managed to get her a new Civic today, a VTEC Sport which is the same as the SE but different alloys, suspension and a couple of other bits.
New it should be £15900 but she is getting it for 14200. It will be registered in the dealers name first though but it doesn't fall into the 90 day rule due to some agreement the dealer has with Honda due to the amount they are buying.

This just goes to show you what you can get by shopping around.

Last week she could get an SE brand new for £14500 instead of £15k list price but would be built to order and not come till end of Oct.
Today , from another dealer, she gets a £15900 car for £14200, and gets the keys at the end of this week!

No brainer!
Honda Civic experiences - Xileno {P}
I followed behind one again today. I really like it. Are those triangular shaped things on the rear the exhaust?
Yeah they are. I think on the base model there is only one and then all others have two.