Computer Related Questions - Volume 99 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 100 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 99. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Anti Virus - malteser
Not free, but not expensive; never missed an "in the wild" virus in tests - try NOD32 from Eset.com
Very small footprint and one of he fastest scanning engines around.

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
eTrust AVG ok? andymc's post in vol 98 - piggy
with regard to the previous thread about e-trust- I would avoid like a plague.Last year this was installed on my computer and worked well,but when I tried to install Microsoft service pack 2 the two programs clashed . Despite entering correct password,I was unable to delete e-trust. Several e-mails to e-trust regarding this problem were not even replied to.
I ended up clearing the hard disc and re-installing Windows- not a bad idea after 4 years` use.
eTrust AVG ok? andymc's post in vol 98 - storme
nod 32 is fantastic

small footprint quick scanning and easy for us gamers to turn off to allow extra resources

recommended over symatec or norton anyday....all these do is hog up yr pc and take over like a big nanny
--
www.storme.co.uk
eTrust AVG ok? andymc's post in vol 98 - malteser
NOD32 has a very active and helpful user forum hosted on Wilder's Security Forums. Worth a look here:- tinyurl.com/vnbf

Linspire - malteser
Has anyone tried the latest O.S. offering from the creators of "Lindows"
Purists will, I expect, deride an easy to operate Linux system, but what are the real world experiences - if any - of users?

Linspire - Phil I
Sorry Roger cannot answer your question not having used Linspire. Have you tried any of the latest Distributions?
Mandriva (was Mandrake) is my personal preference. User friendly new on the block Ubuntu also goes very smoothly. Linux Format Special Issue Nr7 which comes with 3cds Nr. 1 a live cd just to try it out and if u like it you can just install the basic system from that. The other two cds are loads of applications. The magazine however is 77 pages of the best tutorial I have ever read, At £9.99 in UK bookshops represents real value for money.

HtH Phil I
Linspire - AshT
Hi Roger,

not installed Linspire, but I've tried Freespire 1.0 as a live CD on a couple of PC's.

On the plus side, it detected and set up most of the hardware, including nvidia drivers, printers were easy to set up, partitions on both PCs were detected and mounted, and a lot of software that normally has to be added after installation was included and working, including Realplayer, Java, and mplayer plugins, and mp3 and movie codecs.

Negatives - not as fast to load as the Mepis and Ubuntu live CD's, although once the desktop's set up it works at a reasonable speed. Prompts and reminders for the CnR service are all over the desktop, and do become a pain. A dial up modem on one PC was not detected or configured. DVD playback through the bundled version of Kplayer was very hit and miss, and Adobe Acrobat reader was not installed - available through CnR though.

It's free - download from www.freespire.org - although you will be prodded to sign up to CnR. Cost for this is 19.95 USD for a year, although apt-get is included. Most of what's included does work very well, but my preference would be for another distribution I can tailor to get everything working to my standard.
Linspire - storme
hi roger

im using Linspire now :)

its very easy to use
i use mine as a dual boot system ..windows on 1 partition and Linspire on another

Linspire sets itself up with not much user interference and configures itself easily

it is a "novice" users operating system..but is still a lot different from windows

installing programs is easy ..but uninstalling is different....
games playing is harder as most games dont/arnt written for lunix but there is
a large amount of free software to use

why do i use linux??? i use it so that i am less prone to virus's and malware etc etc

if u want to try any linux..get a "live " disc to try out
this will allow u to use it without actually installing it onto your pc
--
www.storme.co.uk
Linspire - malteser
Hi storme,
Thanks for that - I've downloaded the Linspire ISO file for the live cd run, but the very basic cd/dvd recorder I have with my laptop won't burn a bootable ISO disc!
Oh, well back to the drawing board to find a decent FREE burning program!

Linspire - storme
its the program that burns the ISO iamge

try and find a free download of NERO or similiar
--
www.storme.co.uk
Linspire - Stuartli
>>try and find a free download of NERO or similiar>>

Nero isn't free...:-)

Some freeware burning programs:

www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.htm

www.webmasterfree.com/software/MediaTools/CDBurnin.../

www.cdburnerxp.se/

www.burn4free.com/download-dvd-copy-software.htm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
B&W Printer - Peter
Can anyone recommend a good quality printer suitable for producing a good tonal range on black and white prints.

My current printer produces B&W with a platinum shading, artistic but not quite right.

Thank you.
B&W Printer - Gromit {P}
Can you tell us the following to better match a printer to your needs:

1) Is the current printer inkjet, LED or laser?
2) What kind of images/text are you printing? A printer that gives very sharp line drawings, for example, may not perform as well on photos.
3) What media are you printing onto? Some inkjets, in particular, may give very good image quality on coated papers but not on ordinary A4.

- Gromit
B&W Printer - Peter
The current printer is a HPdeskjet 940c, an inkjet I assume.

I intend to print 35mm B&W negs and B&W digital images onto A4 (or less) glossy/matt photographic inkjet paper. There will be no text or line drawings, solely photographic images.

Thanks

B&W Printer - Gromit {P}
Yes, in HP-speak, "deskjet" indicates an inkjet.

Having asked my resident photo expert, the recommendation is for the HP LaserJet 1022 Printer (Q5912A). It
offers up to 1200 dpi resolution and will print on photo paper (I'm told).

HTH,
- Gromit
Tiscali Connection Problems - helicopter
I had a letter last week saying Tiscali were upgrading the network in my home area last Wednesday and the internet might be down for a couple of hours Wednesday. Usually leave the computer with internet connected 24/7.

You've guessed it already - I have not been able to reconnect despite many attempts and I am becoming increasinly annoyed with being lied to by useless Tiscali call centre operatives
( somewhere in India ) after hanging on for ages to get through to them.

Any suggestions as to how I get Tiscali moving ? Has anyone else in the West Sussex area had the same problems?

Tiscali Connection Problems - Stuartli
You wouldn't guess it from the Service Status page...

www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/status.cgi

I presume you have a modem router? If so you may have to reconfigure it according to the instructions in the manual (the URL link using your browser will be something similar to 198.168.1.1)

Try the Tiscali BB Help pages (there are 26 Q and As):

uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php...p
Try this page first:

tinyurl.com/kns2a
Tiscali Connection Problems - helicopter
Thanks Stuart - Happily however - I got home tonight and got connected straight away so problem over.

I now start the fight for the aggravation and waste of my time.....
>>and got connected straight away so problem over. >>

Good to learn...:-)

Tiscali did the same thing to me about a year ago and reduced a first class 2MB service to the equivalent of a dialup service as well.

After six months of being messed about, my 12 month BB contract was at an end and it was goodbye Tiscali (after eight years with it, starting with WorldOnline); I was one of the first to join TalkTalk's "free" broadband offer.

But that's another story...:-)
Mesh Computers. - Pugugly {P}

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice on the above. Very accurate. The kit arrived a week late (which was forwarned) first rate customer service helpline though. Big black tower as predicted which I'm sure was styled by Bangle's brother. Worked out the box which is good. Build quality is very solid, fans slightly smidgin noisy (again as predicted here).Ditched the wireless keyboard for an old fashioned Microsoft jobby from the attic. Apart from the mother of all battles with iTunes everything is pretty good. This dual core kit really is good.
Mesh Computers. - drbe
Hi PU
My last 2 PCs have been Mesh, on the whole very pleased.
However - if there is a problem, it won't let you start in Safe mode, pressing F8 does nothing, pressing F10 brings up the Mesh help line, with an invitation to call an 09****** number; which for financial reasons I am reluctant to do.

Did you get the installation disks with the machine, or was that an extra?
I got a recovery disc, which is what I've had on the last couple of computers (both XP) in the PU family. The tech support number on that disc is an 0870 number, which I guess can be de-coded to an STD using a particular website.
Pressed F10 today - just like any other recovery console...."insert recovery disc"
Slow internet connection - bell boy
my computator at work has slowed to less than dial up this last two weeks ,now im not daft (my opinion) but im on blabla formally blablabla well when it was blablabla it was fine but now its hopeless ,i phoned the helpdesk and asked why is it now hopeless since they became part of blabla ? the very helpul assistant said nothing has changed.
IVe tried everything i can to improve my download speeds bar sticking the thing down the toilet
but trying to give an ultimatum seems impossible (have a nice day and gis your money seems to be standard procedure from them) my question is....................
are you ready?????
ok.........
can the phone line provider or even my "chosen" internet provider turn down the "volts"? so i become disillusioned and therefore pay more for a better service?
I might add this happened with my line provider when i was on dial up and it wasnt until i complained that they turned up the gain.............the tinkers........

sorry its so long .....

off now to eat my daily fruit content for its vitamin c...............
Slow internet connection - Stuartli
Visit www.adslguide.org.uk/ and run a number of speed tests over a period of time.

If they are below expectations present the findings to your ISP.

However, there are a number of factors that could cause slower than anticipated speeds, especially with regard to your system.

Have a read through, for instance:

tinyurl.com/nd77y

What's for you won't pass you by
Slow internet connection - bell boy
thanks Stuartli for the reply ive done the speed check which comes up fine will now read the other bits........
If the speed check is fine (it will vary at various times of the day), then you don't appear to have too much to worry about...:-)
Slow internet connection - No FM2R
If the speed check is fine, start checking for spyware.

I'd install spybot, check for nasties, and then have a look and see what is being automatically initiated at startup. Perhaps also HijackThis.
>>start checking for spyware.>>

Already covered in my earlier link..:-)

Slow internet connection - No FM2R
>>Already covered in my earlier link

So you're looking for a Blue Peter badge ?
Slow internet connection - Altea Ego
>>Already covered in my earlier link
So you're looking for a Blue Peter badge ?

Ebay for them
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Ebay for them>>

No, I'd sell it on e-Bay.

Worth quite a bit apparently.
Changing broadband provider - Caveman
Hi, how easy is it to chjange to another broadband provider?
My current one is starting to annoy me to the extent of wanting to leave them. Money has been taken from my bank account without permission by them (£35), and as yet I have had no refund despite saying that I would after 7 to 10 working days (15 working days ago!). A promised upgrade to 2meg didn't happen - they changed their mind and said that I could only receive 1meg after I had paid the extra £1.50 to upgrade. Still waiting for 2 months refund on that as well.
Changing broadband provider - Stuartli
>>how easy is it to change to another broadband provider?>>

Should be straightforward. Choose your new ISP and then ask your current ISP for a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code) to be sent to you, preferably by e-mail. Ignore any attempts that may be made to persuade you to stay.

Pass the MAC on to your chosen new ISP when arranging for broadband to be provided and they will make the arrangements to take over your service.

It should mean only losing the service for a very short period during the actual switchover, but you will be advised on what day it will happen (normally about 10 days after the new ISP receives a MAC).
Changing broadband provider - Dynamic Dave
As Stuartli says:-

www.broadband.co.uk/changeprovider.jsp
www.broadband-essentials.co.uk/changing-broadband-...m
Changing broadband provider - Caveman
Thanks all. I just now need to convince my current BB provider to let me go as I recently renewed the contract with them for another 12 months. But as far as I am concerned, they broke the contrract when they took money without authorisation from my bank account, so i can likewise break the contract as well.

Who's the best BB provider to go with? Tiscali any good for example?

I don't want phone call packages as part of the BB deal, just an internet connection, but with no capping limits if possible, and definately not AOL. No, they aren't my current provider, btw.

Tiscali any good for example?>>

Er no. I departed back in April after eight years (started with WorldOnline) and moved to TalkTalk.

However, the sheer demand for TalkTalk's remarkable offer (£20.99 for broadband, free UK and up to 28 countries including the US, Canada and Europe phone calls, plus line rental inclusion), means that the broadband connections are some way behind the actual phone service connection.

That means you would have to stay with your current ISP until the BB switchover and that could prove expensive on top of the TT fee.

I've had some minor niggles with TalkTalk, but they are now sorted and I'm now paying about £15 to £20 a month less all round.
Changing broadband provider - Altea Ego
Not had any agro with tiscali. Speed is good, and not much in the way of outages. YOu have to watch them tho, they dont tell you when the prices go down, so you have to keep checking the price plans and "upgrade" yourself.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>.and 'upgrade' yourself>>

That is very sound advice.

Sadly Tiscali doesn't always make it known that you can have a similar service for less or even a better service for the same price.
Changing broadband provider - JH
C
try www.dslzoneuk.net/ for ISP rankings.
JH
mswaaaaa.exe - Dulwich Estate
Zone Alarm has popped up a few times telling me mswaaaaa.exe wants to gain access to my computer. Anything with an ".exe" scares me a lot. Google does not recognise it - does anybody know what it is?
mswaaaaa.exe - Dalglish
mswaaaaa.exe wants to gain access to my computer ..

>>

search your files (from windows explorer) - ensure you use advanced search option to include hidden files and folders. then come back and tell us where in your computer that particular .exe file resides.

mswaaaaa.exe - Dalglish
p.s. and to make sure it is not a rogue scumware that is to blame, follow the advice here:

www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#onli...e

Thanks Dalgleish, but I am presuming it wants to enter via my internet connection which is why the firewall is telling me. I am naturally denying access until I know more.
mswaaaaa.exe - Altea Ego
Err Dulwich, if Zone Alarm is saying xxxx.exe wants access its ALREADY in your computer and trying to get OUT via your internet.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
mswaaaaa.exe - Stuartli
Do you have an anti-virus utility installed?

If so and it's properly updated it will - or should - stop any nasties.

Best not to let it in under any circumstances, especially as a quick Google doesn't reveal anything.
I have the free AVG which is updated more or less daily. A scan shows nothing.

I've got the Lavasoft adaware and a scan using that shows nothing apart form the normal trackers that I get rid of a couple of times a week.

The windows XP advanced search option says there's nothing on my C drive with this name.

The hunt continues.
20 minutes and no more answers - this must be serious!
mswaaaaa.exe - adverse camber
When it happens try opening the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose task manager) look at processes and see if you can see it on the list.
mswaaaaa.exe - Dalglish
another source of information:

in zonealarm, look up
1. the program-control>programs tab, highlight the blocked exe and look at the info in the panel below to see where the exe file is located.
2. the alerts & logs section and look at the time in question to find what was being blocked.
then post your results here.

I'm afraid I forgot to look it up in ZoneAlarm program control. However I have found it's part of a Virus - Win32/Sality to be a little more specific. Apparently it's linked to Russian email addresses and among other things it likes looking for bank account details and sending them home.

The good news - it's not on my computer - the Zone Alarm WAS warning me it was trying to get in.

It is on another family computer though. mswaaaa.exe is happily sitting in the processes of Task Manager and I can't get it out! I'm part of the way through trawling websites (Symantec etc.) to find a way to remove it. Unfortunately AVG is not much use in this respect.

Why was it on the other computer? A teenager who has little regard for his old man's warnings about downloads might just have something to do with it......grrr!

mswaaaaa.exe - Stuartli
See:

secunia.com/virus_information/27844/win32salityfam.../

www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?doc...9

www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?I...7

mswaaaaa.exe - Altea Ego
Dulwich

Can you show your zone alarm log? As far as i know Zone alarm cant log programe names coming in, because its not given in the IP details. It can only log programe names or processes if its on the trusted side (ie your computer)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
mswaaaaa.exe - Dalglish
dulwich - ditto as per tvm's request.

i am curious to find out where the mswaaaa.exe resides (btw -does it have four or five "a"'s in the name?).
i have been unable to find any reference to it in any security advisory or other xp related discussions.
no reference to that file in any win32/sality discussions that i can find either.
and please do let us know how you get on with attempts to remove it.

It's got 5 "a"s - mswaaaaa.exe. The AVG anti-virus found aixbmaaa.exe (apparently part of it) which led me to Win32/Sality.

My head hurts - and the computer in question is going slower and slower. I'll report when I find more, but the idea of deleting everything and reloading Windows XP is very strong in my mind - but I'll sleep on it.
mswaaaaa.exe - rtj70
I'll take a look for a solution but this is a good example of why you need a proper firewall active.

When MS Blaster came out, all company PCs had AV and laptops due to dial-up/broadband firewall from Zone Labs. Neither stopped infection because the source of infection was the corporate LAN and thus was "trusted". If it was over the Internet Zone Alarm would have stopped it.

So I hope we all have at least the XP Firewall running.
mswaaaaa.exe - Stuartli
>>So I hope we all have at least the XP Firewall running.>>

A waste of time - free ZoneAlarm is the answer.
mswaaaaa.exe - rtj70
Do you know which variant of Sality it's meant to be. I also fail to find references to the exe's.

If I were trying to trouble shoot this on one of our PCs.

- Run AV with latest signatures
- Run Anti-Spyware
- Check the registry to see what gets executed on start up. Look under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- Run task manager and end the exe's and then delete the files... might find they reappear because another process is infected

Note If the exe or a dll is running on startup then you won't be able to delete the files. Hence my reference to the registry.

And if you can stop the exe's re-run an AV scan as it might fix the problem now the process is stopped. Localise the scan to the location of the exe (see references in above threads).
mswaaaaa.exe - rtj70
Reference to registry above needs back slashes which were removed by the site... between all capital letter apart from CurrentVersion which is one word.

So the structure for the registry is:

HKey Local Machine -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run

"............... - Check the registry to see what gets executed on start up. Look under HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun
- Run task manager and end the exe's and then delete the files... might find they reappear because another process is infected

Note If the exe or a dll is running on startup then you won't be able to delete the files. Hence my reference to the registry.

And if you can stop the exe's re-run an AV scan as it might fix the problem now the process is stopped. Localise the scan to the location of the exe (see references in above threads)......... "

Er?

You may well be right rtj70, but you speak a foreign language. I was always told the registry is a dark, dark place of mystery and it's somewhere that young (?) innocents such as me should not venture into.

I spent most of Sunday running scans, generally cursing and then deleting things - but obviously not the right thing.

PS I think I may have been conned by one or two commercial sites that offer free scans and money to fix the problems. I've not paid anything - I'm not that silly, but for example one of these scans told me I had a trojan called Keenval, but an hour's free scan by symantec told me it wasn't on my computer at all.

PPS Symantec Security Response - W32.HLLP.Sality gives removal instructions, but I think bits are missing from the instructions.

mswaaaaa.exe - rtj70
The worrying thing with a variant of the Sality work is it's a key logger type, i.e. it logs keys and send them somewhere. Think passwords for online banking etc.

If you're careful in what you delete the registry is not such a dangerous place...

So when you mention W32.HLLP.Sality, is that the variant of Sality that was identified? There are lots of worms/viruses called Sality.

Rob
mswaaaaa.exe - Dalglish
PS I think I may have been conned by one or two commercial sites that offer free scans

>>

dulwich: my first reply to you listed some rogue free scanners. of the best free trustworthy genuine scanners that will disinfect for you, just four for starters are:

1. microsoft: safety.live.com/ initially select the "full scan" option which will then allow you to select how much/little you want to scan.

2. kaspersky: www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

3. symantec: www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/index_vi...l
www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/virus_st...l

4. mcafee: uk.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=16943
uk.mcafee.com/root/mfs/scan.asp

try them in that order, and see how you get on.

Dulwich

the instructions about the registry are to stop the virus starting everytime you start the computer. You must do this before you can remove it.

Follow the instructions to remove the entry from the 'run' section then reboot the pc. When it restarts you should find that the virus is not active. Then you can delete the virus files/ run av to clean.

Then get a decent firewall. If you are on broadband and using one of those usb modem/routers throw it away and buy an adsl modemrouter.
Thanks mark99, I am beginning to understand the procedures now. The firewall is fine - it tends not to work when you (well others) disable it though ! ! !

Thanks Dalglish, I'm 60% of the way through no. 1 on your list : the microsoft scan.
Well, microsoft safety.live.com gave me plenty of virus notifications and "issues" e.g. Tool:PornDialer.BR , c:\windows\nctl.exe , Altnet , NavExcel SearchToolbar - 5 issues.

Kaspersky tells me I have 5 viruses and 11 infected objects. The print out runs to 3 pages including Trojan-Dowmloader.Win32.Keenval.f (which Symantec didn't find), Trojan-Spy.HTML.Paylap.ev , Trojan-Spy.HTML.Bayfraud.ev , Mail MS Outlook 5: infected - 6 , Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.bwk , Trojan. Win.32.Agent.fd

What's the routine please to simply wipe the hard disc and start again - I really don't have confidence that all the cr*p is going to be properly deleted by me fiddling about and forever asking advice and acting on it.
mswaaaaa.exe - Dalglish
dulwich -

1. do a full re-format of the hard drive. if you want to get rid of as many traces as physically possible of old stuff, use a "secure disk wipe/erase/shredder" utility ( if your exisiting security software does not have it, get some freeware).

2. reinstall - assuming you have the xp install cd. personally, i would follow the advice given at
www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_02.htm
www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
and use at least four partitions.

eldergeek site has most of the information you might need (see his left hand column list).

Dulwich

One of the (many) benefits of a dedicated hardware router with inbuilt firewall is that it is much more difficult for family members to turn off the security. They also do provide a much better protection against worms and attacks than software only devices.

Netgear and linksys are good brands and will give you a reasonable device for £50 ish. I use a netgear DG634Gv2 at home. turn on nat, enable the firewall.

You should still run firewalls and antivirus on your pc though. AVG antivirus is good and free free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

I like the kerio firewall now owned by sunbelt, its free (with reduced functionality from the paid for version)
www.sunbeltsoftware.com/evaluation/440/kerio.exe
Here in Dulwich we've got Zone Alarm Firewall and AVG anti-virus. They have served ME well.

Turning off the firewall has damaged the "family" computer that thankfully I don't use much. The culprit was bought a laptop last week so it can be taken away to uni. It's now fully loaded with a firewall, anti-virus and a couple of ad searchers. What happens with it all - I truly don't care (and that's because I'm the totally fed up and exasperated parent of a teenager).

My own desktop is bug free. Thanks for the advice mark99, but we'll carry on as before.

Now to tackle the demolition of the hard drive.........
mswaaaaa.exe - rtj70
Don't forget to backup all your data if it's on the same hard drive. The bit that's easy to miss is anything under "Document and Settings", which can include:

- the "My Documents" folder
- email
- "Desktop" where you might have dropped documents etc

I suppose with this not being your main PC this might not be an issue. But if you need advise on where to look for things like email files, let me know what email application you use.

Also worth making a note of what you had installed and any settings for email servers etc.

One other point for other readers, it is said that a PC on a boradband connection with no firewall at all can become infected with a worm in a matter of minutes. Food for thought.
Origo AWR-8210 router - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

If anyone has one of these and wants to keep using it as modem/router/wifi point, don't repeat don't go through the upgrade process suggested by Safecom, the company now looking after the Origo stuff.

Your Wifi will, slowly but very surely, die. Then it'll start locking up. Then you'll get very annoyed and realise there's no way back to the original firmware.

You'll then find yourself recommending people not to buy/upgrade these things on forums, whilst looking at a decent Linksys alternative.

{Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr}

-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Origo AWR-8210 router - Stuartli
I have recently swapped my USB ADSL modem for a Guru Two Port Combo ADSLMax/Max+2 Wired Modem Router which works splendidly.

In truth it's an e-Buyer rebadged Safecom product and cost £24 including delivery, about the same as a USB equivalent (it also provides a USB outlet). Up to early last year I'd been using a Safecom dialup model (swapped with a friend for my Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro as it worked better, being true hardware, with his system and I had gone on to broadband).

The e-Buyer website offers an firmware update link for the router, but there were warnings on the e-Buyer reviews that the wrong link for the update had been given by Safecom - some who had suffered fortunately found the correct firmware version and all was well.

I've not bothered to do a firmware update, but am glad that I found out in good time that it might have gone disastrously wrong.

Just two points - any configuration changes can be tested on my router after a basic Save and then permanently Save All once assured they are correct; there's also a reset button but I'm not sure if this applies in this case.
Toolbar text truncation with IE - SjB {P}
Without knowingly changing any setting, IE related tool bar buttons on my Win XP SP2 IE6 laptop have started truncating to just one character
For example;

Honest John displays as H
BBC News displays as B
My blank homepage displays as A (from "About")

Ideas, please?
All other toolar buttons (ie non IE related) continue to display fully.

Ta very much.
Toolbar text truncation with IE - Stuartli
>>Without knowingly changing any setting>>

Do you have Google Desktop Search installed?

Apparently it can sometimes cause this problem and uninstalling and reinstalling has been known to cure it.

Do you have Google Desktop Search installed?

I sure do.
Will remove, test, and reinstall.

Stay tuned!
I moved too fast, sorry Stuartli; I have the Google toolbar installed, and the option set to use Google as the default IE search engine, but the desktop search is not installed.
Toolbar text truncation with IE - smokie
I can't visualise what you mean (I'm using a different browser) but this would often happen (automatically) when the available width becomes insufficient to display the full names. Anything changed the available width? (Are you displaying the screen full-sized?)
I can't visualise what you mean (I'm using a different browser)
but this would often happen (automatically) when the available width becomes
insufficient to display the full names. Anything changed the available
width? (Are you displaying the screen full-sized?)

Yes, I well know that truncation happens when the toolbar gets cluttered and button width reduces, thank you.
My problem manifests even when only one, full width, button exists; only a solitary letter, always the first one of the full name, displays.
Toolbar text truncation with IE - Stuartli
Another possibility is that you may have inadvertently altered the Text or Icon Options (from View>Toolbars>Customise).

If all else fails, it may require a Repair:

support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Duh... You know when you think or type something that you think ain't right, but you can't spot the obvious so carry on anyway?
Applies here.
It ain't the toolbar with a prob, it's the task bar!

Yes, I do know the difference and have done so for many years; I blame reaching the capacity of my multi tasking brain! ;-)
Nokia "cameraphone" - Pugugly {P}
Hi,
Got some photos which I would like to save to computer, no leads, anyway of zapping them accross the elcromagnetic divide ?

Nokia "cameraphone" - Altea Ego
On what physical media are these photos?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Nokia "cameraphone" - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK you will have to buy a USB to phone lead and a CD, appropriate to your phone. I got one for mine for £8 on e bay. The CD had 1000 screensavers and 200,000 carp ringtones on it and I couldn't get any of it to work but the equipment exists! Good luck!
Thanks.
Nokia "cameraphone" - Adam {P}
If you want PU, you can MMS them to me and I'll email them to you. I don't want any dodgy ones of you in the PU Towers Sauna though.
You've obviously hacked into PU Towers security system !

Thanks Adam. How we going to do this ? (They are pictures of a railway bridge - no I hate trains, it's to do with a family history thing)
Nokia "cameraphone" - smokie
For a once off it's easier to use Adam's idea but if it's a Bluetooth phone you can buy Bluetooth dongles cheap enough on eBay and do it via that (but the cheaper ones are from Hong Kong so don't hold your breath...)
It's not a bluetooth.........DD can you pass my e-mail address to Adam...?
Nokia "cameraphone" - Citroënian {P}
Hi PU,

It's not so long since that i asked Dave to pass on my email address...but Adam's is in his profile

:-)

-- You know, it's not like changing toothpaste
Thanks Cit.
Nokia "cameraphone" - Adam {P}
PU,

As Lee says, my email address is in my profile. Just drop me a line and I can email you my mobile number. From there, just send the pictures as MMS (picture) messages. They'll come through on mine and I can copy them to my PC via my phone and then email them to you.

Easy peasy!
Nokia "cameraphone" - rtj70
You don't say which model of Nokia cameraphone you have. Many these days have a memory card (MMC, MMC Mobile, etc.). So , if the photos are on the memory card, you can remove it and use a memory card reader. You can normally setup the phone to write to internal memory or the card.

Note some phones like the 6230/6230i stupidly have the MMC card behind the battery but something like a Nokia N70 has a flap on the side to remove the MMC Mobile card without powering down the phone.
Thanks for the replies - Adam you have mail !
"www.xxx could not be found" - tyro
I have two problems. They may be related, but I don't know. I'll post as two seperate queries

1) For quite some time, I've had a problem with a computer in which it will connect to websites fine when it has just been turned on, but when one has surfed, left computer on, gone away and then returned, and tried to surf, a message comes up that says "www.xxx could not be found. Please check the name and try again." When this happens, no web site at all can be found. Rebooting the computer pretty well always solves the problem.

Access to email facilities is not a problem, so the connection to the internet is still there.

It happens whether I use Firefox or IE or the AOL browser.

I've recently installed SP2 on the computer, and that made no difference. More recently still, I left dial-up behind and installed broadband, and if anything, it appeared to get worse.

Any ideas?

zone alarm is initializing - tyro
2nd problem. Happens on one of my computers only.

When I turn on the computer and log on, a few minutes later a window pops up with "Please stand by... ZoneAlarm is initializing. This window will close in a few minutes. ..." I just leave it, and it often reappears a few minutes later.

What is going on? How do I stop it?

Again, problem happened both before and after installation of SP2, and before and after going from dial-up to broadband.

(Dell Desktop, XP, AOL . . .)
zone alarm is initializing - VR6
This exact thing happens to me. I have not yet found a solution. I have searched the web, but the solutions I have found sounded promising, but do not work for me.

One thing which sometimes works for me is go into Control Panel, select 'Network Connections' then right-click the internet connection you are using and click 'repair'. This sometimes makes the internet work again when you refresh the page. Otherwise its a re-boot for me too.

zone alarm is initializing - Dalglish
tyro & vr6 - re zonealarm initializing : the best i can do is refer you to:
forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.i...5
try the full uninstall and reinstall method suggested there.

tyro - re. aol dropping connections. it may be one of your computers is set to auto-disconnect after some time, or it could be the "mtu aol broadband" problem. google for that and you will see what i mean.
as to reset the mtu to 1400, a link posted above (it is a tiscali page) has the instructions midway down the page, in the section headed "dr. tcp". the tiscali link is:

tinyurl.com/nd77y

printer recommendations (or review site? - BazzaBear {P}
Both cartridges on my Lexmark Z815 are about run out, so I might be about to replace them both, but seeing that an outlay is inevitable, I might consider changing printer instead.
My needs are simple, but having owned 3 or 4 printers in my day I've never yet managed to find one that manages them all.
It needs to have a sheet feeder which works. Not one which, after I've owned it for a month, starts requiring me to push each sheet down individually while stabbing at the paper feed button and swearing.

It needs to be able to cope with the fact that I use it quite infrequently without reacting by clogging up and requiring me to print 5 or 6 pages before it works properly again.

Aside from that it needs to be colour, and capable of printing decent quality digicam pictures. Due to the infrequent use cited above, I don't want to spend a huge amount, but each suggestion will be considered on it's merits.
Can anyone help?

Oh, if one were able to connect to a wireless network, that might be cool in a gadget-loving kind of ay too.
printer recommendations (or review site? - adverse camber
If you are going to use it infrequently I would invest in a set of cleaner cartridges and stick those in when you leave it.
printer recommendations (or review site? - rtj70
When the ink ran out on my HP Deskjet 960c I decided it was better to replace the printer than pay for expensive cartridges again. In the end I went for the Canon Pixma IP5000. This has been superceded I think and now Canon has slightly different cartridges (might have chips?). But things I'd recommend this and it's successor because:

- Canon ink cartridges cheap and compatibles very cheap (but some don't print photos in true colours)
- Top and bottom (cartridge) paper feeds. You could have paper going in through the top say and photo paper in the cartridge below
- Double sided printing
- Prints on printable CD-R/DVD-Rs
- Ink cartridges are see through plastic so you can believe it when it says they are empty
- Photo prints are absolutely brilliant - you cannot see anything like a dot even on close inspection

A good place to look at opinions/review of printers are:

www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40
www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

I got my Canon printer about 18 months ago now so things will have moved on alot. But I'd buy it again. And they are cheaper now too.

However, having said that, if you really do print very infrequently the argument for a printer that uses combined cartridge/print-head like Hewlett Packards raises it's head. Prints more expensive but:

- No wasted ink cleaning heads
- Totally blocked head = new cartridge

But my Canon has a replaceable print head assembly if it came to that.

There are five cartridges which keep running costs down:

- Photo black
- Magenta
- Cyan
- Yellow
- Black for text etc. which is bigger and makes printing documents very cheap

Only replace the cartridge that has run out. So no replacing a combined colour cartridge when only one colour goes.

The replacement was thr IP5200 and does use the newer colour cartridges which are said to resist fade for 100 years.

Forgot other features of these printers:

- Pictbridge compatible - you can print directly from say a camera. I have even printed directly from my mobile phone via a USB cable.
- Bordless printing upto A4

And if you want to check quality I think Canon let you send them some JPEGs over the Internet and they will print them on that printer and post them back to you. Free of course.

Hope this helps