Native Subscribe5

GGG SE Copy (1)

Deals Of The Week

Native Subscribe5

Mot Files

Cfs Native

Real Mpg Native

focus ignition coil - gadgee
The ignition coil has just failed on my 2002 1.6 Focus after 73000 miles. The engine management light came on and the engine started firing on 3 cylinders. My local garage said he was regularly replacing coils in 1.4 and 1.6 Focus's. After reading about inherent problems in Focus's, the failure of a coil was not one of them. Anyone else heard of this fault?

Tags: technical issues warning lights engine management legal and consumer advice

Sorry - just read penelopepitstop's post about a similar problem.
that was on July 11th by the way!!
focus ignition coil - psi
make sure it is that, i had one replaced as a point and guess, didn't fix it, i now have two good coil packs grrr....
focus ignition coil - Dry bearings
Can you 'Limp home' in that situation? I wondered if it would damage the Cat.
focus ignition coil - Screwloose
gadgee

Coil failure is one of the few common faults on a Focus. Most garages have done dozens.
Dry bearings
Yes the car could be started and driven, in fact my wife drove it to our local garage but you knew you were on three cylinders! A new coil cost £50 and was a genuine Ford part. The diagnostic test cost £25 by my local independent garage. All appears OK now. Just took it up to the rev limiter in second.
focus ignition coil - Adam {P}
I had to drive to Liverpool when my coil pack went and so far so good.

As has been said, common failing point when they get a few miles on. Mine was diagnosed my removing all the plugs and one didn't make a difference. Ran like a pig on the way there but I got no engine management light. I reached heady speeds of 30 mph and the car was not happy at all especially when most of the way was the very fast East Lancs Road!
Adam you could have picked somewhere better than that to falter.Last time i was actually driving dwn there was pre M62.Driving a Leyland Comet wagon in winter and no heater.
Sounds like great fun! I'm glad it chose the Lancs to break now!
Thanks.If it's a common problem it could happen to me sometime as well.At least I will know what to expect.Pleased everything is ok for you now.
Sorry - just to add - coil pack was £50 for me too.

I wasn't there when it was changed but from what I gather, it's just a case of reconnected the HT leads to it and bolting it back on - very accessible but that's only what I can see from the top.

focus ignition coil - psi
it's a 2 minute job, unplug ht leads (replace at same time as coil pack), unscrew 4 torx screws, remove metal securing clip from underneath coil pack, insert new pack, re-screw, replace metal securing clip, reconnect ht leads in correct order (coil pack is marked cyl's 1-4). voilá - wish all jobs were that easy!

Join the discussion

Buying Advice

Honest John's Newsletter

Connect with Honest John

Facebook YouTube