OBD-II interface/software kits - DP
I have seen various adverts on Ebay and other websites for interface and software kits that allow a PC to be connected to the OBD-II connector on most 1996 onwards cars and thereby create a seriously useful diagnostic tool.

Do you know what else this can be used for apart from diagnostics? I guess what I am getting at, is whether it is possible to code new PATS keys on my 2000 Mondeo and thereby kill two birds with one stone.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers
DP
OBD-II interface/software kits - autumnboy
I've had alook myself for a Subaru, it can be qutie exspensive.

Best do a Google search for 'OBD-II' , you'll find so many people do it abroad with kits etc, but mainly for Diagnostic.

OBD-II interface/software kits - adverse camber
Dunno what a PATS key is, but I understood that Ford group vehicles could have a complete software upgrade through the obdc-2 socket.

depending on what you want the cost is in the range trivial -> cheaper to buy new car.
OBD-II interface/software kits - Dynamic Dave
Dunno what a PATS key is

Passive Anti - Theft System
OBD-II interface/software kits - jc2
I think that any software that reads thro' the OBD socket in the car(or thro' the diagnostic socket under the bonnet on earlier models) is read-only.To re-programmme the module you need to go to the tamperproofed socket on the module itself.
OBD-II interface/software kits - Ross_D
The OBD (or EOBD as it is over here) is a two way communication device. Most diagnostic tools can only read data, but most will be bale to clear codes, which involves two way communication etc. You can also get other devices which are able to re-flash the cars ECU throught the diagnostics port, the same sort of thing that will happen when you get a performance remap or a dealer loads an ecu update. I have one which I use for my Peugeot HDi and it works a treat!
OBD-II interface/software kits - DP
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

My Mondeo is odd. It's a late mk2 1.8 TD which as we all know is an olde worlde mechanically injected lump. It has no engine management light on the dash (at least that works anyway), but according to the Ford specs it has the "EEC V" ECU, and what looks like an ODB socket on the underside of the dash in the driver's footwell.

I love tinkering with stuff like this (my inner nerd breaking out), but couldn't justify the cost unless I could get a practical benefit out of it. As I need a new PATS key and only have one existing one, I thought I might be able to use this to justify the cost instead of paying the Ford dealer over £100 to reprogramme the system.

Some useful info here though. Thanks again!

DP