I Have a Question Volume 141 - Hugo {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 142 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 141. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Chas 'n' Dave - Martin Devon
Well you know those two old rockers. Well I is seeing them tonight in a provincial theatre in North Devon. Now the mad drummer Micky Burt gets no mention and I cannot find anything on the website. Any learned bod here knows what the old chap is doing now??................I can't wait 'til 8.00. tonight having had a couple of looseners first!!

vbr.................md
Chas 'n' Dave - borasport20
Chas (or Dave, I wasn't paying attention) was one of the guests on Jonathoon Ross' radio show on R2 yesterday - currently hosted by Mark Lamarr.

apparently Chas'n'Dave have been together for 32 years (gor bless'em, guvnor) and Micky, having being with them for a mere 30, doesn't rate a mention

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
He still aint on the publicity material and I WANT him there. Are you getting the picture? Toys out of pram soooon!

VBR........................MD
He still aint on the publicity material and I WANT him
there. Are you getting the picture? Toys out of
pram soooon!

you could 'listen again' to the last hour of yesterday's JR show - the impression I got is he is still very much part of the group, but the group ain;t called Chas,Dave&Mickey, so he doesn't rate a mention
Martin... please, please explain to me, before I go any further, what this VBR stuff is ?

--
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Martin... please, please explain to me, before I go any further,
what this VBR stuff is ?

VERY BEST REGARDS

VBR.................MD
Martin - I can at last sleep easy tonight with that question answereed

--
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Chas 'n' Dave - Altea Ego
Martin

bad news mate

the Plough Theatre & Arts Centre, Torrington, Devon has been hit by lightning, and has burned to the ground

Hence the gig is off

Ok thats a lie

I hate em because ethey AINT cocknernees, they come from norf london.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chas 'n' Dave - Pugugly {P}
Saw one of their first big gigs, supporting Led Zep in Knebworth in 78/79 whilst a student. Most of the concert was blurr due to the effects of passive smoking - I didn't inhale honest (much).
Saw one of their first big gigs, supporting Led Zep in
Knebworth in 78/79 whilst a student. Most of the concert was
blurr due to the effects of passive smoking - I
didn't inhale honest (much).

ah! 'twill be beer fumes tonight............You'll see.....................or maybe you wont.

V VBR................MD
Chas 'n' Dave - Stuartli
All the publicity material unearthed on Google lists Mickey Burt as "the regular drummer" and that his contribution plays a big role in the "Rockney" duo's sound.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cheers stu

vbr......md
Chas 'n' Dave - Pugugly {P}
Let us know how it went.
Let us know how it went.

Went! it went BETTER than went. Those boys are real 'ordinary' *STARS* You had to be there. Ordinary blokes playing ordinary music/ tunes and just doing their thing. AND the bonus...............yes it was Micky Burt, but as we all get older we 'soften' and so did he. Not in the music, but I shook his hand and said my bit and he seemed quite surprised that anybody could hold him in regard. Anyway, they played like stars and did the usual thing at the death by selling CD's but THEY sold them. Not some F roadie. Great night...and if you get a chance..........................................go.

Thanks to all and goodnight...........................................MD
DAB Aerial. - Pugugly {P}

Hi,

I need an indoor DAB aerial with an "F" type screw in connecter (similar to a sat.. connection) any ideas ?
DAB Aerial. - psi
www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29193&criter...7

in conjuction with

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27877&criter...7
Brill thanks. Why didn't I think of Maplins ?
DAB Aerial. - JH
PU, if it helps, I'm using a small (Maplins) indoor FM aerial to feed the FM & DAB inputs, going through a splitter. It works fine despite being some distance from any transmitters.
JH
thanks.
A0 Printer - Adam {P}
I think this is probably best in the general question thread. Anyway - as the title says really. I need to buy an A0 Printer. Preferably new, preferably in colour. I've done an admittedly brief search in Google which isn't returning much leading me to believe they're not that easy to come by.

I'm almost certain they're going to be horrendously pricey so:

a) How much would I look at getting a new colour one?

b) Same question but black

c) Same as a) but second hand

d) Same as b) but second hand.

That was easy! Any help, pointers or other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Adam
A0 Printer - daveyjp
We have a HP plotter in the office which produces A0 and larger if required - £14,000 to you. A set of replacement ink cartridges is about £1500 and a roll of A0 width paper is about £100.
A0 Printer - No FM2R
Adam,

Just before you go off down such a route, work out how much and how often you will print. Ask the local porint shop what they would charge and how you might deliver the files to them. Then decide if you still want to buy a plotter.

M.
A0 Printer - Altea Ego
Ignore them Adam, they are trying to scare you.

An HP Designjet 4500 (low volume output, cheaper tyoe of model) will only cost you approx £10,000 brand new.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A0 Printer - cheddar
Adam,
Just before you go off down such a route, work out
how much and how often you will print. Ask the local
porint shop what they would charge and how you might deliver
the files to them. Then decide if you still want to
buy a plotter.
M.

Agreed, e-mail files perhaps as PDFs to a print shop, graphics co, photo lab would be ideal, you would have to have a fairly high output to justify the cap-ex.
A0 Printer - Gromit {P}
Adam,
HP's Designjet 4000 seems to be the entry-level plotter with A0 capacity. Have a look at the large business section of hp.com for the spec.

Sorry, no prices to hand, you have to go through a HP reseller or HP leasing services to get them. Off the top of my head, I think the entry level ones are about £5000, and professional installation is recommended.

I'm sure Canon, Kyroceria etc have equivalents, but I know this one because my department at work has one for printing posters. We're charged about ?80 (£50) per copy to cover media and running costs, though!

Your best bet to find second hand plotters may be to contact a Mac reseller who deals with graphic design (which is most of them) - they should carry a good range and know more about each plotter's capabilities than most PC resellers.

If its for home or small office use, there are also A2/A1 printers, that are considerably cheaper because they use sheet feeder rather than requiring a large roll of print medium as is the case for A0.

Hope that helps!
- Gromit
A0 Printer - Group B
There are currently 14 of them on Ebay, but some of them are olde-worlde pen plotters. Do you really need an A0 one (assume you must or you wouldnt have asked!); are you going to be doing all A0 output or mostly A1 with the occasional A0?
I bought a HP DesignJet 430, A1 size, black and white, on Ebay for £150 and its still going strong 2 years later (the seller forgot to put in his reserve price of £250). I expected to have to pay min. £300 for this spec. Had a snapped drive belt but replaced it myself for £25 with a belt bought from, you guessed it, Ebay...
A0 Printer - Adam {P}
Thanks for all the advice guys.

It's for my uncle and I told him everything that was said on here (especially the much cheaper A1 idea) but he needs A0 for technical drawings and stuff. Thanks for all the info - I've found one on eBay for a little under a grand which would do the job and I think he's going to get that one. Whilst he needs one, he's understandably not happy about spending 5 grand for an entry level printer!

I'll let you know how he gets on.

Thanks again for the advice,

Adam
A0 Printer - No FM2R
Before you buy it check...

the price of the cartridges
the price of the paper
the amount of prints per cartridge
The price of the print head
How many print heads it has
how many prints they can be expected to last for
quality/resolution of print
print time per A0 sheet (you might be surprised)

Then consider, when an entry level plotter is £5,000 (which is cheap, quite frankly), why is one available for under a grand ?

Buying these things is bad enough, maintaining them, especially the older ones, is somewhere between expensive and impossible.

Either he is printing only a few, in which case he woudl probably be better off (cost, reliability, convenience) using a print shop or he's printing loads, in which case a second hand POS from e-bay won't hack it.

His money, his choice. But I wouldn't advise it.
A0 Printer - Adam {P}
I was thinking that myself Mark.

The one on eBay looks considerably older than anything you'd manage to buy today. It also has apparently been fully serviced with a new (drive?) belt and comes with a few cartridges and loads of rolls of paper. (Supposedly)

My Uncle seems adamant that he needs one. He gets technical drawings emailed to him for contracts worth 100 grand or so but wouldn't always need it for other companies. That's how I understand it anyway.

I'll have another word with him and try and dissuade him but I'm not holding out much hope.

In any event, thanks for the advice and the warnings. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Adam
A0 Printer - David Horn
We bought a few HP plotters at auction. They went for about 100 quid, though probably the same on eBay. Bear in mind that they're horrendously heavy and awkward to transport.
A0 Printer - Adam {P}
It's ok David - he's the one with the much hated (on here) Mitsubishi Warrior!
Buying a 2nd home - Nsar
Anyone know of any good forums on this subject?

Looking at holiday rentals for long term capital growth.
Buying a 2nd home - Xileno {P}
Moneyweek magazine Page 22 worth a read...
Not pleasant reading on the state of UK property market.
Buying a 2nd home - Armitage Shanks {p}
Not pleasant = it is very expensive or Not pleasant = it is going to collapse? I would have thought that with the number of people wanting houses it can't do worse than level off; however I am a mortgage free owner occupier and I don't actually care what happens to the market!
The article is too long to summarise here but basically focuses on the increasing debt burden that is occuring and the way the imbalanced economy with a stagnant wealth generating private sector versus a growing non- wealth generating public sector. The article goes on to say that this big expansion of the public sector is what has so far saved the UK from a 'normal' credit-fuelled housing crash/recession. It also goes on to say that public finances are not as robust as they were. Including the Government's public finance initiatives, public sector net debt, which was less than 30% of GDP four years ago, is due to go up above 40% of GDP for the first time since 1994 and thereby breaking one of Brown's self-imposed rules.

Moneyweek 28/07/06 Pages 22-24
Interest rates have just gone up...
Career marketing Part II - cheddar
Bounced from IHAQ 140 where my last post was perhaps lost in the middle of the thread and maybe missed by one or two of those who had commented previously, opinions much appreciated.

"
I attended a meeting with these guys yesterday PM, the consultant was very professional, went through some assessment and profiling rather like GRID and SWOT stuff I have come across before, reckon that could do me some good along with training on interview technique and a professionally written CV.

It all sounds good and I was shown a lot testimonials, customer satisfaction reports and thank-you letters, all seemed very genuine with only the candidates surname Tippexed out. It went from guys on £25k achieving a step up to earn £35k (one guys was earning £28k working for the MOD, got a position paying £108k in civvy street) to FDs etc earning £140k achieving £250k packages as CEOs within a new organisation.

The process is described as such, I have simplified it a little:

Appraisal of the client?s qualifications
Development of career goals
Determine immediate objectives and relevant types of position
Establish realistic longer term objectives with job satisfaction, income potential and w/l balance
Marketing program, including CV development and identification of appropriate industries
Development of program to ensure identification of the appropriate level contacts
Interview prep and technique to induce job offers
Coaching on negotiation
Follow up counselling once in new role

The interesting thing though is how they break down the exec labour market. Their stats show that 75% of all vacancies and not advertised and therefore not accessible by the individual or agency. TR commission detailed market sector reports so they can form a picture as to which companies will be recruiting at which ever level long before the management team have involved the HR dept, additionally they access the ?closed? market via their extensive network of previous candidates who are now in senior positions all over the place and feed back info on forthcoming vacancies and opportunities to TR via their career advisor. Accordingly the profiled candidate with the impeccable CV has just the right level of contact, pitches in with a phone call, his CV, superb interview technique etc (all long before an agency knows about it) and walks into a role paying 50% more than he was on before.

The cost however is an issue, it runs into thousands, will it genuinely advance me, OK if I got into a new role within three months with a £15k plus hike it would pay for itself however there are no absolute guarantees.

Any thoughts?

Regards.
"
Career marketing Part II - No FM2R
Predicatbly I lost a long, long reply. So, dsomewhat mroe briefly with rubbish typing...

>>maybe missed by one or two of those who had commented previously

Certainly I missed it. Sorry.
reckon that could do me some good along with training on interview technique and a professionally written CV.

We can all benefit from that. But its not a particularly expensive service, and your CV needs to change for every application anyway. Also do try and decide whether your CV will be short-listed by an exec, by HR, or by a headhunter - quite different CVs are required for each of those.
It all sounds good and I was shown a lot testimonials,customer satisfaction reports and thank-you letters, all seemed very genuine with only the candidates surname Tippexed out.

Like Financial Advisors, Double-Glazing Salesmane, and TIme-share people carry ? I don't like poeple who come prepared wiht that sort of thing. It makes it seem like they are trying to rush me through the approval and acceptance process before I spot the holes and flaws.

>>It went from guys on £25k achieving a step up to earn £35k (one guys was earning £28k working for the MOD, got a position paying £108k in civvy street) to FDs etc earning £140k achieving £250k packages as CEOs within a new organisation.

Rubbish. Why would I increase someone's package like that ? I knwo what their existing package is, I also know that if they're earning £28k then I don't need to offer them £108k to get them. 400% ???? I can get osmeone for 30% so why would I offer them that much more than I need ?

Complete rubbish.
Appraisal of the client?s qualifications
Development of career goals
Determine immediate objectives and relevant types of position

Not unreasonable. Difficult to know why you couldn't do that yourself, but ok.
Establish realistic longer term objectives with job satisfaction, income potential and w/l balance

Mmm, let me see. Job Satisfaction - want some; income potential - want lots; W/L balance - essential.

Now what are we going to do to refine that, make it longer term, more realistic and more valuable a platform to build on ?? Right. Absolutely nothing.
Marketing program, including CV development and identification of appropriate industries

Marketing ??? So you will send people like me your CV on spec. I don't know how many CVs I receive on spec but it is a very lot. However. all hardcopy ones are thrown away before they reach me and all electronic ones are deleted by my PA before I see them. So I don't see that working too well.

It ssupposed to be the matching of instances of demand and supply. Not leaflet dropping a CV on the off chcane of finding someone who will read it and who happens to have an approraite vacancy.
Development of program to ensure identification of the appropriate level contacts

So they don't have those already ??
Coaching on negotiation

A headhunter would do that for you free.
Follow up counselling once in new role

Why ? What for ? Another 400% increase in salary ?

>>Their stats show that 75% of all vacancies and not advertised

I imagine they make up their stats, since how would you know ?? Nonetheless, its probably a reasonable guess.
and therefore not accessible by the individual

Fair point.
or agency.

Really ? So if it is not advertised, if it is not open to the individual and its not open to an agency, then where is it going ? ITS GOING TO A $%^& AGENCY DIPSTICKS !!!! Where the hell else is it going to go ?
TR commission detailed market sector reports so they can form a picture as to which companies will be recruiting at which ever level long before the management team have involved the HR dept,

[puke].

Right, I have HR staff specifically targetting my recruitment requirements. In addition I have three headhunters who all see fit to have individual meetingfs with me every month (where *they* buy lunch) to try to keep uo to date wiht what I'm up to and likely needs. Yet this lot can do it with industry reports ??? Give me strength.

For a start I work out what I need because of the conversations with HR and the headhunters, not befor ethem. Secondly senior roles will be filled from wihtin wherever possible and then those roles back-filled, and job descriptions are highly customised at exactly our needs and the need to balance an existing team wihtout overly duplicating skills nor ignoring any.

But htis lot can do it with industry reports.

[double puke]
additionally they access the ?closed? market via their extensive network of previous candidates who are now in senior positions all over the place and feed back info on forthcoming vacancies and opportunities to TR via their career advisor.

Well,t hat would be what all headhunters and recruiters do, so why not. Hwoever, I've never heardof them so while that isn't conclusive, I am a little surprised especially if they work at the exec level.
cordingly the profiled candidate with the impeccable CV has just the right level of contact, pitches in with a phone call, his CV, superb interview technique etc (all long before an agency knows about it) and walks into a role paying 50% more than he was on before.

I've got this bridge in Brooklyn I've been trying to sell, perhaps you'd be interested in that as well ?
The cost however is an issue, it runs into thousands, will it genuinely advance me,

The most expensive, and probably the best, executive coach I know charges £450 per hour. And she can make a difference in just a few hours. However, even she wouldn't promise you a job location service as well.
Any thoughts?

If you feel you need CV/Itnerview help, then go to a specialist. Most of us do at one point or another, I can offer some thoguths if you're interested.

If you feel you need a new role, then go to a specialist who has one goal in life, getting you placed in a company and getting his commission. The hgiher salary he places you for, the more commmission he gets. The mroe successful he is, the morevacancies he deals with. And he doesn't get diddly squat if he fails to get you a job or fails to fill a vacancy.

By all means e-mail me if you need some contacts, but I'd run away from the current one if I were you.

'scuse typing.

Mark.
Career marketing Part II - Vin {P}
I used to recruit for a previous organisation. Before I did that, I believed that recruitment consultants occasionally spoke the truth.

I was looking for a candidate for a specific post. Told a handful of agents that I needed someone with a 2.1 or 1st in Maths. Nothing less would do. Out of 180cvs in one week, one of them fulfilled that criterion. And she didn't fit most of the others.

All they need to do is blunderbuss your CV to every company they have ever heard of. One of them will be interested. There is no science to it. Sending a fax nowadays os pretty much free, so what's stopping them?

So, remember Michael Heseltine's stated thought process whenever he read a briefing document. "What's in it for the person who wrote this?". That should decide you on whether these people are worth the time and money.

Look on the web for guides to writing the right CV. There are also dozens of books on the subject. Go to your library and borrow one for nothing.

If you want a better job that may not have been advertised (and I agree with 75% as a good estimate), research the kind of work you want to do, then call the companies that do that kind of work. Ask to speak to the people responsible for the kind of post you're looking for. It might be difficult, but persistence will pay - it shows dedication. (I would always have taken a call from a prospective applicant where I would avoid a recruitment consultant like the plague). Interview them a little with sensible questions about their organisation and posts that might be available now and in the future. Then, if they come out of it looking good, tell them you're going to send them a cv. Amend it if necessary given the information you gleaned on your call. Send it and follow it up with a call. A pal of mine did this recently and got interviews "because of the professionalism of your approach".`

V
Career marketing Part II - Nsar
So, in summary, that's a cautious thumbs up is it Mark?
Career marketing Part II - Vin {P}
"OK if I got into a new role within three months with a £15k plus hike it would pay for itself however there are no absolute guarantees."

By the way, have you thought through the implications for them if this doesn't work? They have £x thousand of your money and they suffer....well, nothing, really.

V
Career marketing Part II - No FM2R
So, in summary, that's a cautious thumbs up is it Mark?

You know how it is Nsar, I just end up sitting on the fence with these things. I need to learn to be more open with my opinions.
Career marketing Part II - cheddar
Mark, you have mail.
Changing priorities - SjB {P}
I have a good friend (several actually!) in Sweden.
Normally we talk iPAQs, flat panel TVs, chip tuned Volvos and SAABs, sport, and so on.
Even the odd bit of DIY, especially if it involves something a bit fancy or out of the ordinary.
In short all things gadget and good to the male mind.

Today, what did we discuss via MSN?

www.emmaljunga.com/product.asp?bvid=8 !!

How can I keep a grip on priorities, please, or am I forever doomed?
Changing priorities - Pugugly {P}
You won't. You're doomed.
Changing priorities - Nsar
You are so doomed. It's like a long stretch in the big house. Keep your head down, read a few books when you can, do what's asked of you and the time passes a bit easier. Try and beat the system and it will beat you.

Changing priorities - Altea Ego
Alas my friend, you have stepped over the threshold.

Now how do you like your baby sling, front or back?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Now how do you like your baby sling, front or back?

I know what a Singapore sling is and take mine with a dash of benedictine, but baby sling? eh, what's that?

Thanks for brightening my evening, guys! :-)
Changing priorities - cheddar
Two for the price of one on baby slings?

IIRC I saw a reference recently to having twins, firstly congrats, secondly we have twins, now nearly teenagers, if your first then not twice as much work beacuse you simply dont know what it is to have only one so you just get on with it. Expensive though, two car seats, double buggies and shoes ......... though that will be a while yet.

When are they due?

Regards.
Changing priorities - Big Bad Dave
Very nice SjB

Beware though that the "side by side" as opposed to the "front/back" layout are harder to get through pub doorways.
Changing priorities - Phil I
Happy for you both. Will say however sourcing twin buggy (whatever type - but BBD's warning about out of gauge width for pub door is valid) Car Boot Sales are the place to go. Also for subsequent disposal if you intend to hang your hat up after these.;-)

Phil I
Happy for you both. Will say however sourcing twin buggy etc...

Thanks, Phil I, and for the suggestions!

My flippant reply to BBD aside, I agree that the width issue is very valid (for pedestrians too!) though the missus places "side by side" and being able to choose "face away" or "face back" at the top of her prio list; even above the fact that most such buggies will give a double hernia lifting them in to the car!

Thinks out loud "Jeez, here I am debating push chair design with yet another guy!" ;-)
Changing priorities - Phil I
Our vote was always for facing back. Creating some connection between the particpants in the exercise. Ours was trying to get them off to sleep.:-((

Oh dear I must stop now before I start giving you depressive thoughts....
Changing priorities - daveyjp
If your lifestyle is anything like ours, which involves plenty of trips out in the car the ease of collapse and the weight when collapsed should be the priority. I've only been a father to a single daughter 15 weeks, whilst our day to day lives have changed our lifestyle hasn't too much, we still do almost all the things we did previously (my daughter went to her first live rugby match at 14 days old!) and as a result the number of times the pram has been folded and lifted in to the back of the car must run in to hundreds already. Our pram takes as long to collapse and unfold as an umbrella and this was our priority. All this lift catches, flick this, unlock that etc would have driven us mad.

Time for a chat with Mrs SjB regarding the practical aspects of the situation I feel. From now on whenever you go on a journey which you expect to undertake once you have the children see how often the pram would have to be collapsed and lifted - you may surprise yourself.

And all the best for October.

"All this lift catches, flick this, unlock that etc would have driven us mad"

That's absolutely true. When my boy was born, wealthy friends gave us a mind-bogglingly expensive pram from a very well known manufacturer. Apart from driving me crazy with its unfoldableupableness and its bulky size - it tried to be all things to all men. It tried to be pram, car seat, push chair etc etc, neither very well. Consequently the "foot end" of the pram folded down in the transition to push chair. One night this flap worked its way open as we slept at my mother in law's and the boy slipped out onto a concrete floor. I tell ya, I nearly burst several blood vessels with rage and the pram went to its death over the balcony down four floors.

I still have this fantasy about meeting a bloke at a dinner party and I say "What do you do?" and he says "I design prams for xxx company" and I say "Really? See how much you like it you a-hole" And I throw him out of a first floor window.
Side by side has benefits, it is said that they are comforted by being near each other, also if it is a from birth to toddler plus buggy when they get older, 12 months or so, they can argue as to who goes in the front etc. Also a side by side in our experience is lighter and more compact when folded though things may have moved on.
Thanks, BBD.
That didn't wash with the missus though!
"You shouldn't be taking the kids to the pub, anyway" !

Anyway, it gets worse; from reading car and motorbike road tests in all the usual mags and on line, last night's reading was www.tamba.org.uk/buggy.php sent to me by another friend. Yup, buggy road tests! I am indeed so doomed. No mention of standing quarter mile times though!

Yes, Cheddar, YRC and thanks for the wishes; it is indeed (non identical) twins, due the end of October but no doubt making an earlier appearance! Whether boys or girls (we wanted a surprise but know one is a boy) they will know how to change plugs, oil, and oil & air filters by the time they are ten. :-)
We chose front/back layout mainly cos wifey doesn't drive and very occasionally had to get them onto a bendy bus, which she could do without collapsing it. Shopping precint lifts... Selfishly laid out shops with narrow ailses and boxes left lying around... restaurant tables... did I mention pubs?

Of course ours fight for the front seat now, you'd have to have odd kids that fight for the left/right seat.
Changing priorities - Altea Ego
"you'd have to have odd kids that fight for the left/right seat."

as if they they need an excuse to fight?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yes, Cheddar, YRC and thanks for the wishes; it is indeed
(non identical) twins, due the end of October but no doubt
making an earlier appearance! Whether boys or girls (we wanted
a surprise but know one is a boy) they will know
how to change plugs, oil, and oil & air filters by
the time they are ten. :-)

Our boys are non identical, very different actually, I was only going through the difference between the 4 stroke and 2 stroke cycles the other day with one of them, on face value two stroke seems simpler though you try explaining reed valves, porting, scavenging etc, drawing a 4 stroke cycle is relatively easy. The other lad is much more into sport so fielding positions and types of willow are of more interest than valve timing and types of oil.

TAMBA type Twins Clubs were useful in respect of both what to expect and post natal support.
Washing machine in freezing winter - Gromit {P}
A follow-up to Xileno's question in IHAQ vol 140:

I've just bought a Hotpoint Aquaris WF325 that has a pump-out mode on it. Provided it drains the machine completely (I haven't had occasion to check that yet), it might suit Xileno's need for a machine that can be emptied completely before the holiday house is locked up for the winter?

- Gromit
Washing machine in freezing winter - Xileno {P}
It could well be just what I'm after. Thank you for getting back with this info.
Washing machine in freezing winter - Xileno {P}
Would it be rude to ask how much you paid for it?
I should point out that within reason the price is not important. This is a holiday home for which I have maintenance responsibility. Unfortunately I don't own the house. So therefore any cost I can charge to the owners.
Not at all, Xileno, but the receipt is at home so I'll have to come back to you on it tomorrow.
- Gromit
Washing machine in freezing winter - Hugo {P}
Thinking on this matter further, I just got rid of a Hoover First Edition that allows you to drain the whole machine by removing a plug on the front.

I don't know if they still do this design, maybe under a different model number.
Hugo,
A quick search of Hotpoint resellers suggests you should get this model for £350-400 in the UK (I can't find the receipt for mine after the house move!). There should also be an equivalent in white rather than aluminium finish - but I don't have a model number for it.

If you're looking for a current model of the Hoover machine you replaced, the Hoover and Candy brands are now part of the same group, so you may find an equivalent sold under either brand name.

Regards,
- Gromit
Washing machine in freezing winter - Robbie
The Hotpoint WT721 also allows you to pump out the water. I bought one just before Christmas from John Lewis for £299.

tinyurl.com/o7l45 (shortened link to www.johnlewis.com)
Yet another example of New Labour's.. - Stuartli
...variation on what should be joined-up government:

8< SNIP 8<

As stated at the start of this, and every IHAQ thread, - No Politics.

DD
Electrical goods warranties - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just been out and bought a new LCD TV from a chain connected with Eastern food! The item is branded but not Sony, Samsung, Pansonic etc. They have offered me the following, over and above the 1 year maker's warranty:-

1. 3 years for £120 up front
2. 5 years for £150 up front
3. Cover for as long as I keep paying it, at £3.25 a month.

Having had a very costly warranty on a computer I am glad I did as I have had 3 home visits and 3 new motherboards plus a new LCD monitor, slight connection to my present question!

What do BR people think is the best of my 3 options (if any) or could they suggest a 4th one or shall I just take my chances after the maker's 2 year has expired? Thanks for your comments.
Electrical goods warranties - artful dodger {P}
I would follow option 4, just have manufacturers warranty. The way prices and technology is going, your LCD TV will have been substantially reduced in price and become almost obsolete in 2 years. If any thing is likely to go wrong, it will probably be within the next couple of months. Do remember the LCD screens do have a finite life, so if you use it a lot then the display will fail quicker. Most electrical retailers make a substantial amount of profit from extended warranties, so that must tell you something. By comparison a computer is a far more complex bit of kit and is usually running for far longer than a TV, so your experiences may not be surprising (the computer I am using at present is over 5 years old and has only had to have a new monitor in all that time).

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Electrical goods warranties - bell boy
you havent said what make or what cost? so my advice too late now i know but here it is...
after beating round the "bush" i no longer buy second rate two bit half branded half unknown electrical long term products,i have learnt the hard way buy qaility on day one and tell the spotty salesman his long term quarantee aint worth a roll and anyway you could always claim on your home insurance if you happened to trip into said thing ;)

sorry.......
Electrical goods warranties - daveyjp
Agree with dodger. We bought a widescreen TV about 6 years ago (cost then about £500) and we were given a free 5 year warranty - cost to buy £150. The company we bought it from went bust about 18 months ago so the warranty would have been useless anyway. A new TV to replace what we have now is less than £200. Powerhouse went bust again yesterday so more worthless warranties filling drawers. Like paint protection and GAP insurance in the car trade warranties are good earners for the seller.
Thank you gentlemen. It is a 27 in Lexsor and was £499. So far so good! It is making a bit of a meal of doing the auto tuning thing but I am hopeful that once it is set up it will be good, the pictures that have appeared during the autotuning look good quality
Electrical goods warranties - Gromit {P}
Agreed - just stick with the manufacturer's warranty. Most electrical appliances are predicted to have a five year lifespan, so you're covered for almost half that anyway. At the rate prices for electrical goods are falling, by the end of the maker's warranty you'd be better off scrap the TV if anything failed on it rather than keep paying for the warranty!

FWIW, my preference is to buy top brand name on expensive items (learned the hard way after some teething troubles with a Korean-made widescreen TV) and buy the cheapest reasonable quality in smaller items such as DVD players and simply replace them if they fail.
Electrical goods warranties - Wee Willie Winkie
I bought a 28 inch widescreen Sanyo TV from Aldi 4 years ago. It cost £249.00. (Touch wood) there has been nothing wrong with it and I have no intention of changing it until the day comes that it goes caput.... No warranties offered, none bought. They're not worth it. Save the money and worry about it if and when it breaks.
Electrical goods warranties - Rebecca {P}
I've not used them but Warranties Direct - who have a link from this site are supposed to offer warranties that cost a lot less than those offered by the electrical stores. It could be worth a few minutes getting a quote.

(click through from here though to help the site)
Electrical goods warranties - Westpig
don't bother with a warranty..... if you were really stuck and it had failed and Sod's Law had kicked in (you were broke as well) you can usually haggle in most shops for a bit of interest free.

I have a microwave which i promise is at least 18 years old, my old washing machine went for nearly 12 years, the telly is nearly 6, the stereo you'd laugh at, video got thrown away when i got sky plus 'cos no one wanted it etc,etc,etc
Update! I got it home, got it tuned in and there is no sound, thru its speakers or the headphone jack. The pricture and facilities are good but the construction is very flimsy. Some doors on the back which conceal the audio sockets etc come off their hinges when one opens them. It is going back in the morning and I think I may upgrade to some thing with a name that I know and trust and pay the extra! Thanks for the input and replies - I'll keep you posted
Electrical goods warranties - Vin {P}
Why not put the cash aside that you would have put towards the warranty? In a few years you'll have enough float to see you through any problems with future devices.

V
Electrical goods warranties - wemyss
If you buy from John Lewis either internet or shop they give a five year free warranty on TVs.
Was given this tip just before buying a Sony LCD TV before the World Cup.
I was then trying by phone to order from John Lewis at Nottingham but they said that my postcode gave Cheadle Cheshire as my store for free delivery. Even though it was much further away from Nottingham.
Lucky they did because the price they gave me there was £40.00 cheaper as they were price matching with another store in Cheadle.
Free delivery by the way and the price was competitive against others on the internet to within a few pounds.
The tip also included ringing one or two John Lewis stores as their prices differ as detailed above.
Electrical goods warranties - Robin Reliant
My experience with electrical goods is that they either go wrong almost straight away or they keep working perfectly till the end of their natural life cycle. My stock phrase now when I buy a TV or similar bit of kit is, "I want to buy that, but if you mention extended warranty I am going to walk out and go down the road to Currys/ Comet or whoever".
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
Electrical goods warranties - Pugugly {P}
John Lewis is spot on for customer serivces.
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - SjB {P}
Cotton chinos.
Dark blue.
High quality fabric.
Nearly new and cost an arm and a leg (no pun intended)

Finely spattered (0.5mm to 3 mm) with oil based satinwood finish white paint as I walked past some decorating work being done in our house, without me realising until several hours later when bone dry.

White spirit doesn't shift it.
Brush renovator doesn't shift it.
Soaking in Oxy stain remover for the maximum time of one hour for dark colours just laughs at it.
Worried that anything stronger that may shift it will also remove dye.

Consign very expensive tailored trousers to gardening duties after just a couple of wearings, or is there something else to try, please?

TVM.

Oil based paint - removal from cotton - mfarrow
Try cellulose thinners. Acetone next, but never tried it on clothes.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Sorry just noticed the bit about dye running etc. Mine was on Jeans, which the cellulose thinners didn't noticably run, and it hasn't caused any harm to other clothes its encountered through splashes when doing work on car. Try on an inconspicuous part first though.
Didn't think of cellulose thinners as it's household oil based paint, but will give it a try, thanks, perhaps with cotton-bud application - starting with a dye-run test on the inside of a hem! I have a tin of cellulose thinners in the garage.
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - cheddar
just a thought, you could also try acetone free nail varnish remover. The problem with acetone and cellulose thinnners is that they will effect any man made fibres, perhaps stitching.
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - Pugugly {P}
TVM,

Worth taking to an old fashioned Cleaners. We have one in our village who rescued one of my expensive shirts in similar circs. Don't bother with the franchised/chain types.
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - henry k
Worth taking to an old fashioned Cleaners.

>>We have one in our village who rescued one of my expensive shirts in similar circs.
Don't bother with the franchised/chain types.

>>
Spot on TVM

If you are not sure where such a gem is then try asking where your "independant formal dress hire co" get their cleaning done.
Or yellow pages.....!
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - Dulwich Estate
If the stain is white and the material is dark blue then do what I did when some bleach splashes washed out the colour of some denim jeans. I touched in the spots with some dark blue non-washable fountain pen ink and they've gone. You need to re-touch them every couple of washes though.
Didn't think of cellulose thinners as it's household oil based paint,

I had to get gloss white off a jumper sleeve. Don't know what it was made of mind you, think it was a wooly. Cellulose thinners worked on that and didn't run IIRC. Memory's a bit vague on that one, it was all of 3 months ago!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - Vin {P}
The splashes may be dried on the surface rather than into the fabric. Try using a knife (carefully) to scrape the paint off. At the very least, it'll reduce the volume of debris to be dealt with by solvents/cleaners, etc.

V
Oil based paint - removal from cotton - Dalglish
henry k and pugugly:
re >> "Spot on TVM" and >> TVM

spot the difference : sjb is not tvm. sjb's tvm = thanks very much . spots are on sjb's (not on tvm's) pants.

Oil based paint - removal from cotton - Altea Ego
TVM does NOT have spotty pants.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
doh ! My fault.
Many thanks, All.

The Missus announced today that she's found a small family run dry cleaner near our village that was unknown to me, so I'll give them a go.
Fingers crossed!
Don't get taken to the cleaners :-)
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - Competent DIY
When I moved into my house several years ago, I rewired it, all but one room. Now the time has come. Unfortunately I'm out of Red and Black cable.

Anyone who knows about electrical work will know the dilemma I'm in. Having had absolutely NO problems with my rewire, I now am left with a potential inspection bill of £300. Unless, of course, time could flow backwards for a little while and I could find some Red and Black cable, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone know whether and where this valuable commodity can still be found?

Thanks,

A regular poster under another name. (No names, no pack drill)
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - bell boy
dave down pub?
any boot sale?
any large shop/factory being pulled down?
internet auction thingies?

oh and i know who you are.........
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - Altea Ego
ebay. search red/black or red and black.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks, TVM - I should have thought of that. Sorted.
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - Gromit {P}
Or a hardware shop in some small town you pass on your travels that doesn't have much call for wire and still has a roll or two in stock. Can't hurt to stop by and ask...
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - adverse camber
I'm sure that you meant to say that you need to replace some wiring which has suffered inadventent damage due to rodents, fire or or physical damage.

Or at least I think that that is the wording on the exceptions/exclusions to Part P ;)
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - adverse camber
Cant find the dicument that had the comment about rodents - but this is from the actual regulations - (the whole thing)

NEW SCHEDULE 2B TO THE BUILDING REGULATIONS 2000
" SCHEDULE 2B
Regulation 12(5)

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of -
(a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose;
(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;
(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;
(d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.

2. Work which -
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and
(c) consists of -
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit;
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit; or
(iii) installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.

3. Work on -

(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

(b) equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a).
Pitiful, isn't it? Bunging on a spur socket is OK, despite the fact that it's extra load on the wiring without the benefit of a loop to balance the load. Adding an extra ring with a handful of sockets on it is not OK. To be fair, the wiring in the house when I moved in was clearly fitted by an imbecile, but the house hadn't burned down. Why don't the people who draft these laws ever accept that if you die because you miswire your house, you probably deserve it? Life's dangerous.

Fortunately, I'm adding just one spur socket. I'm only looking for the old cable because red/black and blue/brown clash most unfashionably.

Anyways, problem sorted. There's 100M of suitably fashionable cable arriving on Monday.

Thanks to all.
Red/Black Twin core and Earth - mare
Why don't the people who
draft these laws ever accept that if you die because you
miswire your house, you probably deserve it? Life's dangerous.

Your family or whoever buys your house don't deserve it though.