MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - GregBlack
Hi

We're thinking of upgrading the family saloon (406 HDI) for something with a bit more space. It's just about big enough for the three children and all the paraphernalia, but something bigger would be nice. I like the Avensis (particularly the estate) but we're toying with the idea of an MPV. We like the Previa but worry that a) it would be a bit pricey to buy and run and it would be a lot bigger than we would actually need 90% of the time. The Toyota Verso looks like it might be a good compromise but I'm a bit confused as I've heard of Corolla Verso, Avensis Verso - are there different ones? We might actually keep the 406 as it's reliable and well-maintained.

Whatever we go for it will have to be a diesel - the fuel economy is important. We are currently doing about 12000 miles a year and I don't change cars often (every 5-10 years). I don't really care about it being a bit on the slow side - I'm past all that now and comfort and reliability are much more important (yawn!).

I've been a bit put off by what I've read on the likes of Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra and I don't see e.g. Zafira offering much above an estate car (except the 7 seats, but there doesn't seem much room for the two at the back) although I may be wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and if anyone has any tips for good websites/dealers/independents that would also be most welcome.

Thanks,
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - Wilco {P}
Do you need the flexibility of removing, folding, switching around seats etc? If not, stick to a conventional estate.
We probably don't need that capability often, but it might be useful for transporting occasional loads. Also thinking that if the kids have a choice of seats they might be able to put a bit of distance between themselves and therefore be a bit happier. To be honest, though, they're pretty good in the car.
Fair do's. I don't need an Estate 90% of the time but it's well handy for the 10% when I do need it. Plus it looks better than the saloon :o)

My BiL had a Previa for a while - massive. Make sure you're happy with the size, it will fit on the drive etc etc.
Cheers Wilco {P}. Just out of interest, what estate do you have and what do you think of it?
Subaru Legacy - no diesel so won't make your shortlist.

Do a forum search on dealers/independents/supermarkets and you'll get an afternoon's worth of places to check out. No naming and shaming means you won't get horror stories but you will find plenty of recommendations.
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - AlastairW
My little brother has 3 kids, and recently swapped from a 406 estate to a Honda FRV. Best car he has ever had, and they have that super 2.2 diesel if you insist on burning oil.
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - lordy
I went through this dilemma last year. I had an Avensis hatch, and I wanted something with a bit more room for all the stuff you carry around. My side of the family live in Nottingham, i'm in North Wales so I do regular trips down there; the Avensis would be bursting with travel cots etc.

To put it simply, an estate will have more room for luggage, an MPV will give easier access for hauling children in and out.

The MPV's I Iooked at - Zafira, Scenic, C-Max, Corolla Verso, FR-V etc etc all had boots no bigger, or smaller than, their hatchback equivalent. The estate cars were more practical from load lugging point of view. Oh, and when I say estate car, I mean proper estate car - V70, Accord, Passat, Mondeo, Vectra etc NOT, lifestyle estates like V50, (tiny) A4, (hhmm) 156 Wagon (laughable) etc

I plumped for the Accord Tourer, and am very pleased with it. The boot is E N O R M O U S. Very comfortable seats. Super build quality. Good spec. Down side - access for getting the children in and out not as good as an MPV, due to lower, narrower door apertures, economy not too good around town, although greatly improves on long runs.

Obviously, more often than not, the load space does not get used to the full, and an MPV size boot would suffice, but on long journeys, it comes into it's own.

--
let me be the last to let you down....
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - Altea Ego
Just to answer one point from the originalposters questions..
Yes toyota made two verso's, a corolla verso ( 5 seats - smaller) and an avensis verso ( 5 seats plus two - bigger)

Now they just make a single verso - the bigger one.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - bignick
I run a Mark 1 Previa.
The biggest benefit is 8 full size seats in 3 rows which allows teenage son the back row to himself thus taking the sound of his iPod that much further away from me!
Despite the height my elderly parents/in laws have all found the sliding door to provide easier access to the rear seats than a conventional estate car. It is the only car in which I have ever successfully transported 6 adults in reasonable comfort for long distances.
Luggage capacity is adequate as an 8 seater, huge as a 5 seater (two bicycles plus luggage all inside the vehicle) and if seats are in double bed configuration I can get 8' x 4' sheets of plasterboard in with ease.
Only drawback is the fuel consumption but I consider that as a fair trade off against the verstility.
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - Bo-ard
Hi Greg,

We also went through all the options on this kind of choice recently. To put it simply - top 3 MPVs to try are the Mitsubishi Grandis, Mazda 5 and Honda FR-V; top 3 estate cars are BMW 3 Series, VW Passat and Honda Accord Tourer. Or, as a wildcard, try an old-shape 5 Series Touring. You shouldn't really go wrong with any of these - it's just down to personal preference. Good luck!

MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - lordy
I'd have to disagree with the 3-series as an estate option, Bo-ard. Luggage capacity far too small, and not enough room inside either. It would have to be a 5 series to compete with Passat/Accord etc.

Going slightly off topic. My mother in law has jut bought a 1-series diesel. I was shocked at how little room there is in the back. With the driver's seat set for my mother in law, I could barely get my feet behind the seat. With the driver's seat set for me (I'm only 5'9"), I could not sit behind the seat at all.

The styling has really grown on me however, it's a cracking little car. Shame the rear wheel drive packaging renders the back half almost useless. :o(

--
let me be the last to let you down....
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - Bo-ard
Hi Lordy, yes, I agree, the 1 Series is a great little car.

Just to let you know re. the size in a 3 Series Touring though - I'm 6'1" and my father is 6'3": we can sit comfortably up front while my wife (5'6") fits in the back with our two children (3 yrs and 8 mths) in their respective car seats - and the "boot" is much better than in the old 3 Series.

Having said all that, obviously the Passat and Accord are bigger, it's just that the new 3 Series is much roomier than the old one.

Thanks for all the replies - it really is swings and roundabouts. Still, there's some good advice there and a few options I hadn't thought of.

Cheers
MPV or estate car for 2+3 family - Avant
No-one's (unless I've missed it) mentioned the Skoda Octavia - 2.0 TDI is excellent. Depends on how old the children are - a Honda Accord Tourer is longer but there's more room inside.

Try a Mazda dealer and you can compare the 6 estate with the 5 MPV - the 5 has sliding rear doors which you might find useful. Similarly you can compare the Accord Tourer with the FRV - the |FRV has 3 seats in front, 3 in the back (like the Fiat Multipla, which you could also have a look at).

All the above are available with excellent diesel engines. Those, plus the Passat, would be on my short list. I have a Mercedes B-class which would suit you well for space but unless you can get the good PCP deal that I got, it's expensive, and in mine the diesel engine is far too vocal.