What's the best economy car? - martin
Hi all

just wondered whether anyone knows what car is currently offering best MPG or MPL? on petrol, diesel and LPG. I heard of a new Citroen giving 67mpg which is quite something? Are there any other serious contenders which are commerically available?
Re: What's the best economy car? - pete
Diesel lupo
Re: What's the best economy car? - martin
thanks, just found this on VW's latests Lupo which they say is forthcoming:

"Volkswagen is not standing still. They remain the world leader in diesel technology and have announced that they expect to produce a four-seat diesel powered car that can get 190 MPG! Moreover, new filter designs introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show earlier this year will reduce particle emissions by another 60%, putting diesel engine vehicles within striking distance of complying with ultra-low emissions standards."

sounds like within some yrs we good be in for a radical change in fuel economy!
Re: What's the best economy car? - Tom Shaw
I'll back that. 72mpg official economy figures on the combined cycle, 58 mpg in my own case with learner drivers behind the wheel and rising slightly as the engine beds in. Current mileage is just under 7000 and past experience indicates that the deisel engine won't reach it's optimum performance till at least 20k are under it's wheels. The soon to be introduced Lupo 1.2 diesel is said to give 92mpg!
Re: What's the best economy car? - Union Jack
Martin - HJ has dropped a few hints that we should all read his SCOOP road test of the Citroen C3 tells all - 67.3 mpg to be precise.

Jack
Re: What's the best economy car? - Lee H
Surely economy isn't just about MPG? If you can coerce a car costing £1000 to run without major repairs for the same time you'd be paying £250 a month to pay for a new car, the MPG isn't all that important.

Just a thought.

Lee.
send your photos to the picture gallery.
Re: What's the best economy car? - James
Absolutely! My GF had a Citroen Visa that cost £200 and lasted for 4 years, with almost no attention (apart from regular oil changes). It wasn't that thirsty, but it would have had to have drunk an awful lot to have cost as much to run as one of these ghastly new diesels...