Time for a new car. Please advise. - Rebecca {P}
So I've lost patience with the Picasso. Too many return trips to the dealer for too many faults and too many bits of plastic breaking off that can't be replaced. I do still like the feeling of space inside, I find it very comfortable to drive, the kids have lots of room in the back and I do make use of the boot space - folding and/or removing the seats far more often than I ever thought I would. I would hope to get £6500 or thereabouts for it. 03 reg 2.0 exclusive.

Before the Picasso I had a BMW 320 Touring Automatic that I really liked, and wouldn't mind one of those again. Nothing rattled, no bits fell off and somehow it 'felt' well made. I like the look of the Volvo V50 (in silver) too and am going to have a closer look at these tomorrow.

Any other thoughts from anyone? What about the Skoda octavia estate?

Other info:

I mainly do short runs of approx 5 miles a time, plus the odd 100 mile each way journey a couple of times a month.
Safety is important.
Quality feel is important, prestige brand isn't.
Fuel economy of 30mph + would be good.
I prefer an automatic
Room in the back for 2 pre-teen children
Will probably lease and spend approx £350 a month, perhaps a bit more for the right car. Or buy nearly new on a loan and make repayments of a similar amount. Indecisive? Moi?
Time for a new car. Please advise. - Sprice
Doubt you'll get £6500 for a 03 plater! If you like space, how about a Toyota Corolla Verso?
Time for a new car. Please advise. - pmh
Sorry to here about the Picasso, ( I am still enjoying mine ( 06) and waiting for something adverse to happen).
The Verso is a good bet, but since you have taken the big hit on the Picasso why dont you give it a second chance? Have look at www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php?showfo...3 to see if it helps sort any problems, there are some very good people there inc a Citroen mechanic who works in a main dealers.

Are you going to Servian again this year? If you need any other local advice send me a personal Email (see profile) or if that fails via a moderator..

--

pmh (was peter)

Time for a new car. Please advise. - PST
Hi Rebecca

I'm also looking for a car, the criteria of which are pretty much the same as yours, with the exception that my budget is lower. The car that has caught my eye (but I haven't driven yet) is the Vauxhall Signum....huge range of engine/gearbox combinations (including diesel autos), lots of interior space (particularly for the kids) but only a tiny bit bigger outside than a Vectra....flat folding seats, loads of extras and big depreciation from new which means there seem to be some nearly new bargains out there.

I've had a couple of Vauxhalls before and they've always seemed OK quality-wise although lacking in prestige. The only negative I can see compared to an MPV is you lose the high-up driving position.

It wouldn't make sense on a lease but might do if you did it on a loan.
Time for a new car. Please advise. - DavidHM
Is the budget either £6,000 deposit + £350/month over three years to buy, or £350/month to lease?

If so that works out at about £17,500 cash and probably a similar amount on a lease.

My suggestions would be S-Max or Mazda5 if you want another MPV; otherwise a Skoda Octavia or nearly-new Focus or Mondeo estate (or a Mazda6 if you fancy something slightly sporty).

Have a look at quotes from Affinity by Hitachi Capital, which might prove interesting, e.g,. an Octavia 2.0 Elegance Estate for £275 per month.
Time for a new car. Please advise. - mikeyb
We part X'd our picasso last year - it was an 03 2.0 HDI exclusive with 42K on it and quite a few scratches and a few odd small shopping trolly dents. We got 6.5K for it last december, so given that the plate has changed since then I think you may be a little optimistic - should also add that 6.5 was the best offer - some were as low as 5250.

How old are your kids? If you have been use dto lifting them in and out of a picasso I would advise sticking with something MPV like for the height - if I put my kids in a "normal" car now my back knows it!
Time for a new car. Please advise. - tack
what about the previous Honda Civic 5 door hatch? Bags of leg room in the rear, even for a 6'3" adult. A 1.6 is supposed to be economical. I drove one recently and it was excellent. no rattles, good quality trim, excellent mechanical record. There must be some really good deals around now that the new one is out.
Time for a new car. Please advise. - Rebecca {P}
Thanks for the good ideas. I will investigate some of these suggestions further. The kids get in and out of the car on their own -no lifting required.

I'm not wedded to the £6500 figure - which is good given your replies!

Has anyone been in a V50? (Apart from HJ?!)
Time for a new car. Please advise. - peterb
I've driven the S40 (saloon version of V50) and loved it - great interior and nice turbocharged 5 cyl engine.

I've seen the 1.8 (4 cyl) saloon at low prices for 12 months old, but I suspect the estate will hold its value better.
Time for a new car. Please advise. - Avant
Surprising, isn't it, how often one neds to fold down the back seats. Although the children are grown-up now, I'd still never have a saloon again.

One thing to bear in mind is that on the Octavia (and I think) the V50 you have to remove the headrests before folding the backrest down - annoying. Audi A4 - no need to but the seats don't fold quite flat. Honda Accord Tourer and Mazda 6 estate - they fold down in one movement, which you could find useful.

If you go to look at the Mazda 6 also check out the Mazda 5 - an MPV rather than an estate and it has sliding rear doors.

Also Ford C-Max and S-Max, the latter being posssibly too expensive.