Parking Sensors - front of car? - bert-j
Has anyone installed parking sensors on the front of their car? As they are not actuated by the reversing light switch they will obviously be on all the time. Does this give rise to spurious signals when not parking? A switch could be installed so they can be turned on only when needed but remembering to turn it on will probably be a pain. I know that some very sophisticated manufacturers systems are speed sensitive but are probably outside the realm of DIY fitting.
Also some systems are wireless operated so this would obviate the need for cables to pass through the engine bulkhead - are these any good?
I'd be very grateful for comments but not about my parking ability!
Parking Sensors - front of car? - daveyjp
I've driven a Jag XJ with them on and they are a real pain. Every time you get to within a few feet of anything they go off - not pleasant in traffic queues or when waiting at lights.
Parking Sensors - front of car? - pmh
Why not put them on the side as well. Its better than using the white stick to feel your way in.

--

pmh (was peter)

Parking Sensors - front of car? - Bill Payer
The Mercedes system switches on automatically below a certain speed - obviously you wouldn't normally be close enough to activate it at speed, but I guess the side sensors in the wrap around bumpers could be triggered in normal use, if they were active.
The indicator lights on the dash start to turn amber as you get close to the car in front in queues, but you'd never normally be so close that it turns red, or starts to beep.
Parking Sensors - front of car? - paulvm
I had front & rear sensors fitted as standard on my last car, Seat Alhambra 20VT, and these were activated in one of 2 ways. Automatically when selecting reverse, this meant that the front sensors were also on when slotting back and forth into a parking space, very useful! Or manually by a switch on the dash, this was useful if going nose first into a bay or garage. The sensors powered off above a certain speed in forward motion, (about 15MPH), or by using the switch. My feelings were that this arrangement gave the best of both worlds. Getting into a tight on-street parking space did mean lots of varying tone beeps, as the front & rears gave different sounding beeps! But if you felt confident then you could impress by switching off.
Parking Sensors - front of car? - Hamsafar
If it's an auto, wire them to the brake light circuit with a relay to prevent blow bulb messages if neccessary (test first)
Parking Sensors - front of car? - Capn Grumpy
Front parking sensors benefit from having an isolation switch in the wiring to prevent them driving occupants balmy in traffic. Switch them off when not required. Simple but effective?
Parking Sensors - front of car? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Please can we have a similar switch in all Chavmobiles to stop the hi-fi playing with the windows open? This will stop them driving me barmy when they are in traffic!
Parking Sensors - front of car? - bell boy
The americans put a flag on their bumpers on big cars when they cant see the bumper and use this to align their cars up..............
maybe OP could use a cricket bat in keeping with the blighty image?
havnt lidl or makro just had no wire sensers on offer for about £6.95?
Parking Sensors - front of car? - TheOilBurner
The system in the Vectra works by not activating the front parking sensors except when the rear ones have just been on. There is also a manual activation button for the times when you just want to pull up close to something, e.g. a garage door.

Works very well, but you do have to remember the switch the front ones on, and not just blunder forward waiting for the beeps...
Parking Sensors - front of car? - No FM2R
The Galaxy system can be switched on and off manually which does both back and front at the same time. In addition they will be switched on when reverse is selected and off when teh car goes over a certain speed - (10mph, I think).

The Merc is similar.

However, neither are after market kits about which I knwo nothing. However, I wouldn't be without sensors, and it is just so long before I punch the Landcruiser back through a fence or something since I sometimes catch myself waiting for a beep (it doesn't have parking sensors!!).

Ignore all comments from people who think it is macho and virtuous to park without them. I'm sure they all have manual windows and door mirrors as part of their "basic is manly" approach.
Parking Sensors - front of car? - SjB {P}
"The Tank" (Bro's XC90) has front and rear parking sensors and both work well; sensitive when needed but not going off willy nilly. Trivia fact for anyone buying a second hand XC90; if the front bumper central insert (The "H") is painted silver, the car has front parking sensors. If body colour, it doesn't.