Best tyres? - y2k+4
195/60/R15 88V's. Need two replacements...the one's on that back (that are staying) are Goodyear Eagle NCT5's. I was wondering what other people think of their tyres, such as the Bridgestone Turanza E300 and Vredistein Sportrac 2 - or if there are any other brands you feel are worthy or to avoid???

Cheers,
J
Best tyres? - L'escargot
If it was me I would want to have four matching tyres. My Focus has Goodyear Eagle NCT5 in the same size as yours and I am completely satisfied.
--
L\'escargot.
Best tyres? - Peter D
I like my NCT5's but it also depends on the car. Regards Peter
Best tyres? - BazzaBear {P}
There's definitely something to be said for having the same rubber all the way round.
When you get them fitted, I'd also get the fornts and rears changed over, it's best to have the fresher rubber on the back, means it's less likely to overtake you.
fornts = fronts, obviously.
I would say though, I had the Vred's you mention on my Alfa 145 and they were very good.
Best tyres? - robcars
have to say i would want the fresher rubber on the front. very unlikely in a front wheel drive car that the rear will want to overtake; but would prefer not to have any understeer from lack of tread contact.

Agree on rear wheel drive cars, but theres not many of them about now!
Understeer in a FWD car is easily controlled, just slow down. Oversteer in a FWD car can be exceptionally sudden and almost impossible to control.
Any reputable source will advise to put fresh rubber on the rear for this reason.
Best tyres? - robcars
Oversteer in a front wheel drive car can be very sudden!

I have never experienced it in all my driving life or witnessed it, including in rallying and other motorsports; except in emergency braking where most likely the brakes were not working as should have been, and abs was not involved.

You put fresh rubber where you like on your car, but on mine I want it where it does the most work. Pulling the car under load (driving), steering, most of the braking etc. The back end of a front wheel drive car goes where the front takes it!
Best tyres? - L'escargot
My Focus manual recommends swapping the tyres front to rear every 3000 to 6000 miles to make sure they wear evenly and last longer. Does anyone actually do this?

I can't find any recommendation regarding which end to fit a new pair.
--
L\'escargot.
Best tyres? - type's'
I don't know why people bother asking on this website about their opinions on such and such a tyre because you'll inevitably get polarised opinions.
Best tyres? - henry k
I can't find any recommendation regarding which end to fit a new pair.

>>
Try-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=36...3
Best tyres? - Murphy The Cat
My Focus manual recommends swapping the tyres front to rear every
3000 to 6000 miles to make sure they wear evenly and
last longer. Does anyone actually do this?

Chrysler dealers swap the tyres front -back, left to right at each service.

MTC
Oversteer in a front wheel drive car can be very sudden!
I have never experienced it in all my driving life or
witnessed it, including in rallying and other motorsports; except in emergency
braking where most likely the brakes were not working as should
have been, and abs was not involved.
You put fresh rubber where you like on your car, but
on mine I want it where it does the most work.
Pulling the car under load (driving), steering, most of the braking
etc. The back end of a front wheel drive car
goes where the front takes it!

I never said it happens often, but when it does, you're unlikely to get away with it.
I've had oversteer on a FWD car, it had Vreds on the front and Nankangs on the back (and that's a very good example of better tyres on the front!) I was overtaken by my back end on a roundabout, and I was doing a pretty slow speed too. I had noticed a few days earlier that the back end felt a bit nervous in such situations, so (since it was past midnight and there was nothing else on the road) went a bit quicker than normal round a roundabout I regularly use. Despite the fact that I was waiting for something to happen it still let go so suddenly I could do nothing about it. Thankfully the slow speed I was doing meant that I just came to a gentle rest with my nose pointing straight at the roundabout.
Best tyres? - Dalglish
.. You put fresh rubber where you like on your car, ..

>>

robcars: ditto to you, but i prefer to listen to the manufacturers. see previous discussion
here are two threads, possibly amongst many others -

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=36...0
Switching tyres - tyrexpert Sun 6 Nov 05 17:13
All tyre manufacturers reccommend that when fitting tyres in pairs, the new tyres should be fitted to the rear wheels regardless of wether the car is front or rear wheel drive. Michelin quote from their technical book as follows:- Contrary to popular belief, deflation of a rear tyre is potentially far more dangerous than on a front tyre. This is because it produces a severe oversteer effect that is far harder to control than the possible under steer that results from deflation of a front tyre.......

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37852&...e
swapping tyres front to rear - Roger Jones Sun 8 Jan 06 08:42
All the authoritative sources I've seen -- tyre manufacturers, Micheldever, and other tyre fitters including Kwik-Fit -- are unequivocal: deepest tread (newest tyres) go on the back.

Best tyres? - MW
I agree, I like a matched set and my experience of Goodyear NTC5's is very positive
Best tyres? - grafen
About 10k miles ago I fitted Nankangs on the driven wheels of my car (front). Look good for another 10k. V quiet, grip well in all conditions & have a nice tread pattern to boot! Only got 15k out of my last set which were Avon ZZ3s.

Nankangs were £52 ea. fitted. Avons £85. 225/45/17
Best tyres? - Peter D
No, not only do I not swap front to rear I stronly suggest you do not as the waer pattern on fronts and rears can be quite different and the type moved to the rear if not that good from a handing point of view until the wear pattern has evened out. Most noticable in the wet. Also never swap a tyre diagonally or side to side, particularly the fronts as you have just changes the direction of rotation and the natural feathering of the chunks of tread is reversed and you have reduced the adhesion properties under load and it could take 2 to 3 K miles before it sorts itself and you have accellerated the waer rate of the tyre. Regards Peter
Best tyres? - doug_r1
If I didn't swap them round then the rears would just get older an older, they don't wear much at all. I prefer all tyres to be as new as possible, the Xantia uses a pair of fronts every 14,000, Goodyear NCT3s, so it makes sense to put the new ones on the rear.

I remember one of the car shows put worn rears on, and then lifted off the throttle on a tight bend and the back came around as it spun off the road.
Best tyres? - machika
The only case of oversteer I can recall after fitting new tyres was when I had a pair of Avon tyres on the back (Michelin Energy on the front). For at least a hundred miles, the new tyres had much less grip than the fronts and the the car was liable to oversteer. The handling was still a bit nervous for quite some time after that and didn't feel right until I replaced the worn out Michelins with Avons at the front. With new Avons at the front, the handling was fine, right from the start.