"I'd buy an auto if... - mss1tw
...I was doing a lot of motorway journeys."

I have seen and heard this a few times. Can someone please explain why someone would do this, as it baffles me.

On a motorway I might as well be driving an auto as it goes in fifth gear and stays there. Around town is where I'd most likely want an auto.

Why are some people so dense?!
"I'd buy an auto if... - robcars
Fully agree
"I'd buy an auto if... - MW
If you like an auto as I do, you just like an auto. It is considered better in all applications because one just likes it. It is a passion thing really. I was anti-auto for 25 years. Too expensive, uses fuel, etc etc. 3 miles in my first one and it was a revalation. Total conversion.
I know all the logical arguments, but it is pure love and passion.
I must say, I have often considered the pure commuting run of 40-50 miles on a motorway, where economy is king. But passion is a strong thing in the end.
"I'd buy an auto if... - Vin {P}
Completely and utterly agree - the time I really appreciate the auto is when I'm in traffic. I'm convinced that driving an auto makes you more relaxed as a driver in traffic, if only because it's one less thing for your brain to be fussing about (even if it's pretty subconscious)

V
"I'd buy an auto if... - Union Jack
Vin - Totally agree with your second sentence, but surely the same point is every bit as important in motorway driving - unless you know a "traffic-free" motorway of course!

Jack
"I'd buy an auto if... - mark111
I drive an auto and I love it. It is so much nicer and easier in town driving where there is lots of traffic and stopping/starting because of narrow roads.

On the motorway (with little traffic), It does not make a big differnce whether its auto or manual IMO, however I would still prefer the auto on the motorway.

Mine is tiptronic anyway, so at any point I can change to manual mode to do the gear changing myself If I need to (which is rare).
"I'd buy an auto if... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
On the motorway (with little traffic), It does not make a
big differnce whether its auto or manual IMO, however I would
still prefer the auto on the motorway.

Please explain why you prefer the auto box as that would answer the original question!
Having a manual turbo diesel I rarely have to change gear on the motorway so I am interested.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Please explain why you prefer the auto box as that would
answer the original question!

I thought that but could nay be bothered asking.
Having a manual turbo diesel I rarely have to change gear
on the motorway so I am interested.

Same - just give your right foot the order and off she goes!
"I'd buy an auto if... - mark111
As I said before, it does not make a big difference on the motorway as your not changing gear much anyway. I would drive either. Despite this I still prefer the auto on the motorway rather then a manual because even on the motorways - there can often be lots of traffic. So your bound to have slow down/speed up/change gears some of the time. So in those situations, I would much prefer an auto. I also like using the kickdown when overtaking, but that's just my preference, not really an advantage. The main benefit with autos is in town driving.
"I'd buy an auto if... - Aprilia
I drive both manuals and auto's. Auto's are great in town, especially if you're in a strange town and looking for signs/directions etc. They significantly reduce the driving 'workload' and you're always in the right gear - makes things that bit less stressfull.
On the open road they don't make a great deal of difference - I actually like the additional control given by a manual when driving on twisty roads - an auto cannot predict up-coming road features (bends, inclines) in the way that the human mind can. Autos are reactive rather than predictive.
"I'd buy an auto if... - Chad.R
One small advantage that *some* autos have at m'way speeds is that their top gear is higher than the manual version. This usually gives better fuel consumption than one would expect and is as close if not better than the manual's at those speeds.

This was the case on both the BMW 535 sport and Omega 3.0 Elite I've had in the past, especially the latter - I've seen almost 34mpg using brim-2-brim on long m'way hauls in the Omega.

IMO, on a good "challenging" road no auto and I include any kind of auto, can beat a decent manual for sheer pleasure and satisfaction.

"I'd buy an auto if... - Hamsafar
Yes, I ditto the old Omega 4 spd auto was lovely (compared to my crude VW 5spd tiptronic) The omega diesel would sit for hours on end at an almost inaudible 70mph at just 2000rpm and 42mpg.
"I'd buy an auto if... - WipeOut
Suggest you look closer to home for the density issue.

Driving during rush hour, I thank my lucky stars that I've got an automatic. In crawling motorway traffic queues, frequently stop-start, having an automatic is a complete joy!

Kickdown to keep with the flow when it gets going is an added bonus.

Suggest you look closer to home for the density issue.

suggest you take the post in it's intended context. I said town = auto, town = traffic, you get my point.
"I'd buy an auto if... - Nsar
Not all autos are the same. Although I ended up wanting to roll my last car, an Audi, off a cliff its auto box is miles better than my current Subaru. The ratios on this box which is in a sports tourer seem insane. It constantly dithers between 3 and 4 which when you're pushing on and using the car for what it's intended is just infuriating.
"I'd buy an auto if... - hillman
When my Legacy 'Sport' automatic dithers, such as on a long hill, I put it into either sport mode or manual until conditions are better for it.

Why the car is known as the 'Sport' model I can't imagine. It's not sporty at all.
Which engine size have you got? I'm always amazed at how much ground I've made over following cars when I come out of corners, even when they are trying to keep up.
"I'd buy an auto if... - Avant
If you enjoy driving, but also want an automatic, I think you need at least 2.5 litres. I loved the last 2 autos I had (Laguna V6 petrol anf A4 Avant 2.5 TDI) but the current Mercedes B-class 200 CDI is too slow (and too noisy).

Possible exceptions to this might be BMW 320 (i and d) and I'd also like to try a Golf or Octavia 2.0 TDI with the DSG gearbox. Anyone got experience of these that they'd .like to share with us?
"I'd buy an auto if... - hillman
NSAR
"Which engine size have you got?"

I have the 2.0 litre. You will make a lot of ground on me. They used to nickname me 'pussyfoot' because I treated the car so gently. One of my S-in-L's says that I'm like a chauffer.
You have my admiration for your self-control! There is a really noticeable difference between the two engines
"I'd buy an auto if... - Murphy The Cat
It always helps if you've got a decent auto box (I have), a decent engine (I have), a large engine (I have) , a diesel engine for economy (I have), a comfortable car (I have) and for maximum motoring pleasure a car that looks the the Dogs (I have)..

If you'd like the above, gaet a Chrysler 300C (I have).

MTC

Are you a corporate plant?

Not the green, leafy, oxygen-providing kind.
Are you a corporate plant?
Not the green, leafy, oxygen-providing kind.

Do you mean me ?

If so, absolutely not - I've bought my car out of my own pocket (with the help of the HP company !)

I just like the car (an awful lot)

MTC
"I'd buy an auto if... - Dynamic Dave
I just like the car (an awful lot)

We'd never have guessed ;o)
We'd never have guessed ;o)

Blimey, I've not posted a "300C is wonderful and I love it post" for ages, and who should pull me up on it , but my old Nemesis BBD !!!

from your profile, have you bought one yet ?

MTC
"I'd buy an auto if... - Dynamic Dave
and who should pull me up on it , but my old Nemesis BBD !!!

check again, I'm DD, not BBD ;o)
check again, I'm DD, not BBD ;o)

much, much, much to many Daves on this website (smiles).

MTC
"I'd buy an auto if... - NowWheels
After a few thousand miles in my automatic Almera, I'm hard-pushed to find any disadvantages to it. Acceleration is slower than in a manual, though still much more than adequate for my needs; fuel economy isn't significantly worse than the manual; and at 70mph (by satnav) the engine is still doing less than 3000RPM.

I'd tend to agree with the OP that an auto is probably least useful when on the motorway, though it still has its uses there. Diving out of a sliproad, trying to find a gap in heavy traffic, I do appreciate not having to worry about the gears, and I think there's a small safety bonus in being free to concentrate on reading the road.
"I'd buy an auto if... - stunorthants
Having driven hundreds of cars in the motortrade and from a Daihatsu Sirion auto to a Rolls Corniche, for the majority of the time, Id always choose an auto and if possible, a diesel one as it overcomes the fuel consumption issues to an extent.

The Rolls was by far the smoothest ive ever driven, but in general, the japanese were the nicest.

I find I can concentrate on driving more when in an auto and generally less stressed, plus the creep is very useful for inching into spaces. I must admit, ive never come across a tiptronic that i could actually be bothered to use more than once for the novelty value, no point paying for a car that changes gears itself then doing it yourself!

That said, I have a customer with a Passat diesel with DSG and he thinks its superb.