Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Dynamic Dave

I had the following video clip sent to me earlier this evening.

This 3150 m long tunnel in Russia is the longest in-city tunnel of Europe.

There is a river running over it and water leaks in at some points. When the temperature reaches -32 degrees like it did this winter, the road freezes and the result is the attached video taken during a single day with the tunnel cameras.

Enjoy.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4847819447844455299

{Add http:// to the start of the clip and copy / paste into your usual internet browser.}

Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - MichaelR
Whoa.

Not sure how it that was all in one day? Surely the tunnel would be closed for some time after each accident, if only to repair it!
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - pmh
The Bus driver does brilliantly well!
--

pmh (was peter)

Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - tr7v8
gald I wasn't on the back of the bendy bus, I bet that was exciting!
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Altea Ego
I have seen that clip many times before and it has always baffled me. DD has cleared a fog, his explanation of leaky river and freezing temperatures has made it all clear.

Where did that lorry on the right come from tho?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Tomo
Thanks Dave.

I particularly appreciated the press on bendy bus.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Hamsafar
I've seen in on youtube, I also wondered why it kept happening, thanks for the explanations.

The lorry came up the right hand side of another against the barrier going about 3 x faster. Unfortunately the gap was too small.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - paulb {P}
The lorry came up the right hand side of another against
the barrier going about 3 x faster. Unfortunately the gap was
too small.

Ah, thank you. I was wondering where the other lorry had come from!
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Chad.R
Yeah, that bendy bus driver was pretty amazing, very lucky or both!

The Lada (at the very end) - does it rupture it's fuel tank and dump the contents on the road with a splash?
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - pmh
Yes, I saw that and assumed that the whole lot went up. Camera and all, hence the end of the recording.
--

pmh (was peter)

Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - BobbyG
Immediately after the two lorries carash, the next car just puts on its indicator to manoeuvre out past it. No chance of stopping to see if the drivers need help!
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - SteelSpark
Immediately after the two lorries carash the next car just puts on its indicator to
manoeuvre out past it. No chance of stopping to see if the drivers need help!

I know I'm responding to a post from almost 4 years ago, but I noticed the same thing on the video and my initial reaction was also critical of the driver - almost as if it was just another traffic holdup that he had to get around.

But then I thought, if I was in the same situation, I reckon that I would want to get out of the way of traffic coming from behind as soon as I could too. You do read about pileups involving dozens of cars, and I guess that is simply cars from behind continuing to plough into the ones that are already crashed.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - jc2
On any road in the UK,if a "relatively" minor accident happens,people will speed up to try to get past the scene before the police arrive to close the road for hours.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - bathtub tom
Not in my experience.

They'll slow down to have a good gawp at it, holding everyone else up.

I was taught (mumble, mumble, mumble) years ago never to look at an accident, because everyone else is. You need to watch what the gawpers are doing!
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - BobbyG
A recent accident near Glasgow, car crashed and overturned. Two passer-bys stopped their cars and rushed to help. A van ploughed into the crashed car and killed one of the good samaritans instantly and severely injured the other. The woman in the original crashed car escaped with injuries.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - SteelSpark
A recent accident near Glasgow car crashed and overturned. Two passer-bys stopped their cars and
rushed to help. A van ploughed into the crashed car and killed one of the
good samaritans instantly and severely injured the other. The woman in the original crashed car
escaped with injuries.

Yeah, that is the problem, it is just so easy for following traffic to collide with the crashed vehicle or just the ones that stop, especially when the speeds are high. That is why I think the driver did the best thing in trying to very quickly get out of the way.

You would always like to think that you would try to help, but the first thing has to be to get yourself safe.

Thinking it through I guess, if you could do so safely, you could stop your car well before the crashed vehicle and put on your hazards, so that it acts as a buffer (exactly what the police would do I suppose, but they can make themselves far more visible).

Not only would that help to protect the crashed vehicle, it would, by the same token, protect the following vehicles better too.

But, without the correct training, I guess you have to accept that it is very risky.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - bell boy
read my post from yonks ago steelspark
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=58...9
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - grafen
The music's pretty cool too I think...

The track is called "Avalon" by Juliet
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Vincent de Marco
Anyone knows how to save that clip to a normal file, like avi or mpg ?
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - mss1tw
It's around on the net, Google video always converts them to Flash. >:-(
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Dynamic Dave
Vincent, I have the clip in wmv format. I'll forward it on later today (at work, and it's on my home pc) if you haven't found a copy via google by then. It's something like a 3MB file - I take it your mailbox can cope with that amount of file size?
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Vincent de Marco
DD: Thanks, but I've just found it ;)
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - frazerjp
May i say what an amazing clip it is. Surely they'd use variable speed limits if there's so much ice on the carriageway?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - Lud
Ever tried driving on real, real black ice frazerjp, the sort where you can't drive down a straight bit of road even at 5mph because the car keeps slipping down the camber?

Great relief it must be plunging into that 3km tunnel, hooray comrade, no ice in here, just lovely long sweeping er... wow!... ubliudniki!
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - frazerjp
No i havn't Lud not black ice, i wouldn't want to either!
I take salt or grit is not viable over there?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - AlastairW
They arn't allowed to send slaves to the salt mines anymore, so its probably too expensive to spread on the roads!

Seriously though, iirc there is a temperature (-10c?) at which salt ceases to work as a de-icer, so no amount of salt will shift it.
Lefortovo Tunnel. Tighten your seatbelts - colinh
"This 3150 m long tunnel in Russia is the longest in-city tunnel of Europe."

Drove through the Madrid inner ring road (M30) tunnel last Saturday and clocked it at approx. 12km and that has four or five full motorway junctions underground