Electro Smog - Andy Bairsto
Just when you thought cars were getting safer .
A study carried out by the University of Umea Sweden tested the inside of many new cars for electrosmog.A safe level for a pregnant women or young child is 1.6 Microtesla,the volvo S60,V70 and S80 had 18 microtesla and the Ford Focus only 0.06.In fact sitting in a Volvo is the same as sitting under a Pylon by a mobile phone mast using your phone with your head beside a Microwave oven.The mind boggles who is the going to be the first to sue Volvo for catching cancer from their cars
Re: Electro Smog - Sid
Andy

Firstly, you cannot 'catch' cancer.

Secondly the chances of being able to prove that sitting in a car was actually a significantly contributary factor in becoming ill would be impossible. You are exposed to a lot of radiation everytime you fly in a plane, but no-one has measured that.

Regards

Sid
Re: Electro Smog - Andy Bairsto
Sitting in a Jumbo Jet the figure is 0.4(catching was my word) There are two schoolsof thought about this hence the debate on mobil phone masts.Having worked in the comms industry all my life and seen both sides of the argument I would personally go on the side of caution.
Re: Electro Smog - ian (cape town)
Andy Bairsto wrote:
>
> Sitting in a Jumbo Jet the figure is 0.4(catching was my
> word) There are two schools of thought about this hence the
> debate on mobil phone masts.

Andy, It is a shame our tyneside friend isn't here to help.
He would be an expert on mast debating ...

But seriously, Volvo is addressing the problem.
www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=132&art_id=iol101...4
Re: Electro Smog - Andy
I've worked in radio/tv all my working life and I've been a licenced Radio Amateur since 1984.
I don't think anyone really knows what the 'safe' limits are, and there's a lot of hysteria (some of it deliberate, by the use of emotive terms like 'radiation') in the media.
Using a mobile 'phone to your ear is IMO dangerous. The frequency is in the low-microwave band and the power level a couple of hundred milliwatts (eg 0.2watts).
Even at such low power levels, the 'field strength' at such close proximity is very high, far higher than the 'dangerous' phone masts which use higher power but are much further away and up in the air. Yet we see concerned parents protesting about a mast near their school, but are quite happy for their child to chat for hours on a mobile clapped to their ear!
If these masts are dangerous, then God help the folk who live in the vicinity of a TV mast. These typically use 100's of kilowatts!
Re: Electro Smog - James
I thought the problem with mobile phone masts was that some of them are (or are going to be) disguised lamp posts and the like...

The inverse square law is usually enough protection from the bigger masts (inc. TV), as you are usually a safe distance away, but that won't work when it's something you can lean on.
Re: Electro Smog - Andy
James - The inverse square law is indeed what my argument relied on. I didn't realise that there were plans for 'lamp-post' masts.
Now that really does make me nervous!

Andy.