vw security lock problems info - wazza
Hi,

i remember reading an article on this website about how insecure the doorlocks are on vw cars. I believe it covers cars built around 2002 era. where someone can use a screwdriver to open windows.

can someone please direct me to the article.

bro in law just bought a 2002 passat and wanted to know more about this design flaw
vw security lock problems info - wazza
erm found it

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41833
vw security lock problems info - Bunnywabbit
Hello, this problem has been around for a while and I dont know if vw have put in a fix to date. My 96 Golf suffered by a criminal(!) info on how the thief gained entry deleted. This may well be common knowledge, but letting others who don't yet already know how to do it won't help the crime stats - DD. All to pinch my cd player. I bought from the local vw accessory shop, a couple of purpose made door reinforcing gadjets. Reinforcing in place and no attempts since. The new plates are much too thick to bend and also go behind the handles preventing edit again - certain tools and suchlike getting in. These kind of thefts need to be carried out quickly and the thief will move on if a job's too difficult. Thats the theory anyway.
vw security lock problems info - Halmer
>>>I bought from the local vw accessory shop, a couple of purpose made door reinforcing gadjets. Reinforcing in place and no attempts since>>

I assume that the fact that there have been 'no attempts since' is purely co-incidental or can the would be thief see the re inforcing plates?
vw security lock problems info - none
VW LT vans suffer from a similar problem. When you know where to poke the tools, it doesn't take a lot of effort, and hardly damages the door.
I've recently fitted a couple of vans with stainless steel protection plates. These cover the vulnerable area around the lock / handle area and prevent the tool method.
They might even look good on a car. Certainly a deterent.
vw security lock problems info - type's'
>>I assume that the fact that there have been 'no attempts since' is purely co-incidental or can the would be thief see the re inforcing plates?<<

The door handle plates are visible and fit around the key area of the door handle.
Usually black in colour.
I'm not sure if VW have come up with a fix yet.
When I asked my dealer about it he told me not to worry - if a thief wants to get in he will just put a brick through the window. Fantastic VW dealer service !!!!!
(I have mentioned this before so apologies if you have read it previously).

vw security lock problems info - George Porge
www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/uk_home.asp?ContentID=83

You can modify the locks and you'll find the info somewhere here along with lots of other good hints and tips :-)

The harder you make it for the thief the more damage they will make.

vw security lock problems info - Stuartli
VW did issue a service bulletin about five or six years ago on the subject (after a BBC TV Watchdog programme) regarding fitting the plates.

I acquired my Bora three years ago and mentioned this to my local dealership's service manager. His face was blank as he didn't know about the reinforcing plates cure..:-)

>>When I asked my dealer about it he told me not to worry - if a thief wants to get in he will just put a brick through the window. Fantastic VW dealer service !!!!!>>

Probably just being realistic.

There's a similar problem with Mondeo and Focus models - it's resulted in many radio/cassette units being stolen in my area in recent years.

e-Bay is full of them for sale with some vendors having a large "stock".....:-)

Thieving little toe rags the lot of 'em.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
vw security lock problems info - Xileno {P}
The reinforcing plates has been around a long time. The problem is that in marketing them, attention has be drawn to a problem that otherwise was not widely known about...
vw security lock problems info - caesar
There's a similar problem with Mondeo and Focus models

Since owning my focus estate and looking on the focus forum there are lots of problems that effect the well liked ford.security is just a small issue with this model.The electrics are that unreliable that (with the weather being nice)i just leave the windows down to let the breeze in as the doors seem to lock when they feel like it.
vw security lock problems info - Hamsafar
Do these plates go inside? or are they a hideous 'handle embellishment'? :)
Apparantly what happens is they stick a thin screwdriver in a certain place to press the microswitch that is pressed by the key.
You can disable the windows opening with VAG COM software, as well as other features such as autolocking doors when you set off can be switched off/on, but to be honest I hope the crock of stools gets stolen anyway.