Catalyst damage - Nissan Almera 1.5 (03) - bathtub tom
'03 Nissan Almera 1.5 manual 9K miles
My engine management light came on 150 miles from home, and as the nearest dealer couldn't look at it for 4 days, and the book said it could be driven, I drove it home. Inside the tail-pipe was black, as was a spark plug I removed. Trip computer said it did 20 MPG on the journey (I'd expect 40 MPG).
Local dealer diagnosed lambda sensor, and replaced it under warranty.
The question is, what, if any, damage would this have done to the catalyctic converter, and can I minimise it?
Catalyst damage - mfarrow
The question is, what, if any, damage would this have done
to the catalyctic converter, and can I minimise it?

You'll just have to wait until MoT emissions test time, it's never a good idea to run an catalysed engine rich for long periods, though some cats will stand it better than others.

The damage will already have been done - no way to minimise it now I'm afraid.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Catalyst damage - Cliff Pope
I don't think that is necessarily true. If it is similarly carboned-up the soot may clear with time, and some Italian driving. Also, if the oxygen sensor screws into the cat itself, you can try cleaning the cat by fitting a bit of thin flexible rubber hose to the end of a vacuum cleaner snake and poking it inside.
I've heard advice too on cautious thumping of the cat while running the engine to dislodge soot, but that of course risks doing real damage to the ceramic.
Of course if you can unbolt the cat easily you can do a better job of reverse-sucking or blowing.
Catalyst damage - Peter D
Soot is not the problem. If the car was driven at high revs 4K plus the excess fuel can burn a hole in the front of the cat surface. But if driven in limp mode and sensibily then should be OK but you did travel a long was. Limp Home modes are supposed to protect the engine and cat in the event of a failure I would ask a local Indi garage to do a full 4 Gase analysis and look at the results. If they are not well wintin spec then you can get Cat Cleaners to add to the fuel but I have never used one although others say they worked. Regards Peter
Catalyst damage - Altea Ego
Cats are far more robust than anyone will admit. there is far too much scare mongering on here and other sources about "you have ruined your cat"

Any failures of emmisions tests at MOT tme are always almost caused by failures of the engine itself to burn fuel correctly not due to cat failures.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Catalyst damage - Civic8
Tend to agree with TVM,its also highly unlikely neat fuel is going to enter cat,unless its really cold and no ignition,but even then chances are the fuel would evaporate before the Cat.

--
Steve
Catalyst damage - RichardM
I agree. My old Micra used to flood frequently, so bad that petrol could be smelled from inside the car as it exited the exhaust. Never once had problems at test time with the emissions.
Catalyst damage - Peter D
My eldest Son's gf drove her MX-5 30 miles with a misfire later traced by the main dealer to a coil pack problem. Replaced under warrantee. 3 months later at MOT time it failed emmisions and the Cat was deemed to be US and replaced under the same warrantee £560 plus vat plus ladour. That was a great Used car Warrantee that they bought from the previuos owner for £30. Regards Peter