The Top Gear Thread - Volume 23 - Temp name4

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 24 *****

{Conversation follows on from previous thread - DD}
----------------------------------------------------------------

it's a strange one top gear,

i turn it on sit down and watch it and enjoy it,

but it seems to be the same thing every week,

there must be a huge waiting list of public school boys eagerly e-mailing off their c.v's every week to the TG office in the hope of an interview.

it just comes across as three well of blokes amusing themselves with someone elses money. that said i did enjoy it the other day.

also have you noticed how the audience is full of chinless wonders. i would guarentte the visitor car park is full of bmw320's and model c vectra's. has anyone been to watch the show? what were your experiences ?
TG 21/05/06 - local yokel
They always make sure there's some presentable totty in the audience though - I think Clarkson and Hammond do have a bit of a "following", despite being married.
TG 28/05/06 - mare
Still chuckling about the Anna Hathaway Mercedes S Class

Watch out if you ever buy an ex Laura Ashley car!
TG 28/05/06 - Stuartli
...and JC saying his missus had gone home in a chauffeur driven car from Beckingham Palace and only noticed he wasn't there when she turned to speak to him...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
TG 28/05/06 - Dynamic Dave
You'd have thought JC's missus would have noticed the extra room, with JC's ego missing from the car ;o)
TG 28/05/06 - Sprice
It was funny, but did they have to ruin that nice Merc (throwing away those seats!) when they could have achieved the same thing with an old Granada? There was some nice looking women in the audience lastnight!
TG 28/05/06 - Vin {P}
If you apply for tickets, there is a condition attached that there must be at least as many women in your party as men, I believe.

V
TG 28/05/06 - Stuartli
>>there is a condition attached>>

Quite correct, but there's a long wait to actually be able to see one of the recordings. Full details at:

www.applausestore.com/Site/shows/show/ShowsMain.ph...1
TG 28/05/06 - Pugugly {P}
They did a good job of satirising themselves last night. All that talk of sub waistline body parts and activities; anyone notice how James May has now seemignly got the same hair stylist as the dog ? Glad I recorded it so I could FF through the tiresome bits.
TG 28/05/06 - Tornadorot
If you apply for tickets, there is a condition attached that
there must be at least as many women in your party
as men, I believe.

Ah, now that explains where all the women come from :-)
TG 28/05/06 - quizman
I think that it was the worst Topgear I have ever seen. Like a previous poster says, the only good bit were the birds behind JC
TG 28/05/06 - Waino
I saw Top Gear turn into a comedy programme with a motoring theme a few series ago when Richard Hammond kept a straight face and banged on about the merits of a Rover P5C as a business vehicle. I believe it was all based on some sort of tax advantage.

My friend and neighbour lovingly maintains his P5C (a beautiful beast) and wins prizes at rallies - but it also does about 15mpg and he spends most of the winter underneath it. When it comes to a practical, reliable vehicle for work, he has a Honda Accord diesel.
TG 28/05/06 - colinh
"Glad I recorded it so I could FF through the tiresome bits." - so that's the titles and end-credits left.
TG 28/05/06 - Sofa Spud
Thought I'd kick off by laying into tonight's episode. Motoring comedy is possibly a new genre. Sadly, if you want serious technical content I think Scrapheap Challenge, Pimp my Ride or Car Sharks provide more than Top Gear.

Hammond hammered a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S down a rally track in an attempt to beat a parachutist in a flying squirrel suit! Apart from saying that he'd have to maintain an average of 60 mph to do this it wasn't clear whether the same stunt wouldn't have been possible in a Freelander or even a 1960's rally prepared Mini Cooper! Also revealed was the embarrassing fact that the Cayenne's tyres had appalling grip off-road and proper off-road tyres are not even available for it!

Clarkson fitted out an old Mercedes S Class with concrete and olde-worlde cottage furniture for his minions to fool around in.
What next? Bolting a car to the road to show us that doing this renders it immobile?

When JC did his drive in the Bugatti Veyron some months ago the car was described as the motoring 'Concorde' inasmuch as it has set a performance and technical benchmark that nobody is likely to try and beat. I think that the same could be said of that Veyron episode of Top Gear. Having been searching for motoring superlatives they sampled the petrolheads' superlative of superlatives, since which everything is an anti-climax so they might as well just fill an old Merc with concrete!

But Top Gear did, credit due where credit's due, suggest that Koenigsegg add a rear wing to their supercar to stop the Stig from lossing control of it AND they did so AND it worked.
TG 28/05/06 - akr
I watch Top Gear and 5th Gear and enjoy them both to a certain extent although I feel the latter is the more relevant. TG, however, is getting a bit monotonous e.g. it always starts with one of them blasting around in a fast car followed by a lap by Stig. All very interesting I'm sure but very samey and I haven't spotted a single one yet I can afford. Nevertheless it is amusing at times. 5G is definitely more informative but there are elements of TG in that too e.g. Tiff blasting around in Ferraris and the attempt to kill the old Merc E Class was a rip off of the Toyota pick up on TG.
I suppose the moral is just to enjoy them as entertainment. If I want informing I watch the car programmes on German satelite as they are like TG of old i.e. everyday car reviews. Admittedly I'm fortunate enough to be able to speak German and have German satelite TV. Otherwise you're a bit stuffed, in which case it's back to TG and 5G.
TG 28/05/06 - Stuartli
suggest that Koenigsegg add a rear wing to their supercar to stop the Stig from lossing control of it AND they did so AND it worked.>>

But hardly ground breaking...:-)
Sundays TopGear Football - redviper
Hi - if this has already been posted - apologies but i could not find it.

The bit at the end with the car football great stuff but as the cars where bumping each other - non of the airbags went off.
is it beacasue the bumps wernt sufficant or did they take the fuses out to disarm the system or do it some other way.

Just a interesting thought while i was supposed to be working today and wondered what the BR's thought :-)

Ste
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Sundays TopGear Football - Pugugly {P}
Probably disarmed along with some neural pathways.
Sundays TopGear Football - Lud
I'm sorry you reminded me of that. I quite liked one or two of the other items.
Sundays TopGear Football - Dave E
Pretty crumby editing as well on the car footy, wet, dry, wet, dry. Not one of the best shows.
Sundays TopGear Football - redviper
"Pretty crumby editing as well on the car footy, wet, dry, wet, dry. Not one of the best shows."

Yes! I thought that as well - When RH said rain made things harder (or whatever he said) the track was as dry as anything

TBH I Like Top Gear but when S.I.A.R.P.G I go and find somthing else to do as i am finding that bit more and more boring

--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Sundays TopGear Football - Roberson
non of
the airbags went off.
is it beacasue the bumps wernt sufficant or did they take
the fuses out to disarm the system or do it some
other way.

I wondered about this too. I assumed they just either took the fuse out or disabled the sensors which would otherwise set them off. Maybe there is a correct procedure where you can turn them off, but only the manufacturers know how?

Either way, I always wonder what happens to them. Surely the BBC didn't buy them outright?
Sundays TopGear Football - Lud
They ought to do it in real cars with real airbags. It wd last 2.3 minutes, and wd be such a pleasure to see the guys struggling out of the jalopies with traumatised eardrums and stogies smashed up their hooters.
TG 4th June - Round The Bend
Not so many complaints this week. Have you all switched off or were you happy with the programme?

I thought the balance was much better this week. The Jackie Stewart speed driving was interesting and Gambon well worth another appearance. The car football could have been replaced with something more original but it looked fun.

I would still like a slot looking at purchasing interesting second hand cars. The sort of thing that Quentin used to do so well.
_______
IanS
TG 4th June - Pugugly {P}
Gambon undermined JC brilliantly.
JC - Different Driving Experiences - Altea Ego
TV presenter and motoring correspondent Jeremy Clarkson has got into trouble for suggesting that bus drivers that don't give way to passing cars should be shot. The Transport and General Workers Union has suggested he try driving a bus for a while. We say this isn't enough. Get him to front a BBC series where he has to do all the stressful, glamour-less jobs related to transport: pizza delivery, traffic warden, taxi driver...
If you have any some suggestions let us know in the CCD forum.

Have a great weekend.

Jeremy Bennett
CompanyCarDriver editor

So folks, Big C if you are reading. How about it, how about some slots for Top Gear with JC doing the real grotty driving jobs that shed loads of people have to do?

What other grotty driving jobs could he experience?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
JC - Different Driving Experiences - Pugugly {P}
Speed Camera van driver....
JC - Different Driving Experiences - El Hacko
JC should try being a deckhand on a submarine, suggests a lady I know (and she doesn't normally hate people)
JC - Different Driving Experiences - No FM2R
"Big C" ??

Oh please.
JC - Different Driving Experiences - Altea Ego
;) - cant wind you up about much Mark, but I know that one hits the spot........
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
JC - Different Driving Experiences - No FM2R
>>but I know that one hits the spot........

Bath stood.
Gambon - Star in a reasonably priced car - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am not sure if I heard this correctly and in any event event I am sure it was a throwaway joke. Michael Gambon mentioned in passing that he had been a homosexual (I think); JC asked him why he gave it up and MG replied that it made his eyes water!
Gambon - Star in a reasonably priced car - Pugugly {P}
It was a joke based on an earlier interview when Gambon claimed to be gay in an interview (apparantly he likes to fib in interviews).
TG - Question from a previous episode - mss1tw
Who saw the one where they did the radio show?

"Would the guy in the VW please close the 200yd gap between him and the car in front?"

Achieving what exactly? Muppet.

Good presenter, awful driver (Braking on corners) and motorist (See the difference? Still rubbish at both.) Anyone can go fast on an airfield.
TG - Question from a previous episode - JH
Does braking on corners matter with ABS? I don't do it, I still follow some old fashioned rules but - does it matter?
JH
Does braking on corners matter with ABS? I don't do it,
I still follow some old fashioned rules but - does it
matter?
JH

I don't know for sure but it will still shift weight to the front of the car, fine if you want to get the back end out!
TG - Question from a previous episode - JH
That's all they do! :-)

I wouldn't be so quick to knock JC's driving without first hand experience. Are all of those Stig races a set up? I doubt it.

JH
I wouldn't be so quick to knock JC's driving without first
hand experience.

He got owned at the Nurburgring by the Transit!

True, I couldn't do any better, bur I'm not a 'professional'.
TG - Question from a previous episode - barchettaman
He´s a professional journalist, not a professional racing driver. Last time I looked.
The guy is a legend.
I don´t agree with a lot of the things he says, but at least he´s entertaining and produces a response from his readers/viewers.
TG - Question from a previous episode - Pugugly {P}
The guy is a legend - in his own lunchtime.
TG - back this Sunday. 16/07 - Dynamic Dave
No doubt another reminder will appear nearer the time, but one item that caught my eye for this sunday's episode is the "rep race" to find out which beefed-up saloon is best - the Mondeo ST200, Mazda6 MPS, or the Vectra VXR.

No guessing which one my money is on, but I suspect the Mazda6 will win the prize.

There's also a caravaning item where the 3 of them spend a weekend in Dorset camping. Let's hope it's more interesting than some of their other escapades.
TG - back this Sunday. 16/07 - BobbyG
Watched the re-run on UK Gold (I think) of the three supercars trip down through France to the Milau bridge.
People shouldn't be able to have that much fun and get paid for it a well! So jealous!
TG - back this Sunday. 16/07 - Pugugly {P}
There's also a caravaning item where the 3 of them spend a weekend in Dorset camping

Getting more Enid Blyton than ever. I might walk the dogs on the basis that I need to get out more.
TG - back this Sunday. 16/07 - Lud
'Woof!' said Timmy ...