HUD (Head Up Display) - BobbyG
Feature in Auto Express this week saying that scientists have been able to develop this so that it can be put in all sizes of cars. Big blurb about how safe it is as you don't need to take your eyes off the road to check your speed as on average this takes 1 sec.

Now I have to be honest, I do not drive facing straight on at all times. I look all around me, I look out my side windows, I look in my mirrors, I look at my passengers, maybe even my phone display or if using one, a Sat Nav display. And yes, I do check my speed as well.

But I would like to think that when I am driving, I am driving in a manner that allows me to glance at the speedo for a sec without running the risk of an accident.

So what benefit is this HUD actually going to give us? Is it another development for the sake of it which will add to the cost of a car? Or will we be sitting in years to come wondering how we coped without it?
HUD (Head Up Display) - R75
I drove a friends mothers car in Chicago about 6 years ago that had a HUD, I have to say it took very little getting used to and I would happily have one fitted to any of our cars, a real benefit as you don't need to take your eyes off the road at all.
HUD (Head Up Display) - Altea Ego
HUD

Possible the single most useful invention since the brake pedal, I want one ASAP

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HUD (Head Up Display) - Hamsafar
How does it work, is it simply a display on the top of the dashboard that reflects off the glass?
HUD (Head Up Display) - Altea Ego
In simple terms, yes thats the theory.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HUD (Head Up Display) - Bagpuss
I have driven a 5 Series with HUD fitted. I thought it was a neat gadget and very impressive, once I'd realised what it was. I didn't see any particular real world benefit though, as the instruments in a BMW (or any modern car which doesn't have the speedo in the middle of the dashboard) are so well placed anyway. Also you have to refocus your eyes to the HUD anyway as the focal point is not the same as the cars, pedestrians, road signs and everything else which you watch whilst driving. I think the time spent looking at a speedo is actually irrelevant compared to the distraction when adjusting aircon, retuning radio or talking to passengers. It is a neat gadget though.