Taxing car online - L'escargot
I'm considering renewing my car tax online this year. Have you done this and had a problem? The only potential problem I can think of is if the tax disc gets lost in the post.
--
L\'escargot.
Taxing car online - jdc
Done it a few times - absolutely painless.

Disc arrives within a couple of days, no documents to mess about with in a queue at a post office, no worries - a cracking use of t'internet to make something that is usually a drag so simple

jdc
Taxing car online - Rover25
I've used the online service too and found it to be far less trouble than going to my local post office.
Taxing car online - NeilH
I sgree with the other replies. Very easy and straightforward to do: no problems encountered.
Taxing car online - Dynamic Dave
Ditto above comments. Used the online service twice now - no problems. VED arrived within 3 days of ordering on-line.
Taxing car online - Stuartli
My son used it this year - tax disk arrived within a couple of days.

But I seem to remember that there is a credit card charge of £2.50?

In my case I visit a local post office about two miles away and I'm back home with the job done and dusted within half-an-hour.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Taxing car online - jc2
I've put mine in an envelope and put it into the post box at my local post office rather than queue-usually get it back the following day.
Taxing car online - Happy Blue!
On line using debit card. Did it on 15th May I think and it arived within two days. The best government IT project there is!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Taxing car online - franco
I think you need an MOT certificate that has been issue on a computer. I got my MOT in December 05, but couldn't get tax online because it was issued in the old way with handwriting.
>>The best government IT project there is!>>

Equally applicable to your TV licence..:-)
>>usually get it back the following day.>>

Impossible...:-)
Taxing car online - stjarna
My son used it this year - tax disk arrived within
a couple of days.
But I seem to remember that there is a credit card
charge of £2.50?

No charge for debit cards though.
In my case I visit a local post office about two
miles away and I'm back home with the job done and
dusted within half-an-hour.

Every time I have the misfortune to have to visit a post office I end up stuck behind a line of people withdrawing their pensions. 5 minutes online is a lot more convenient to me at least.
>>No charge for debit cards though.>>

Thanks for that.

Armed with the information I've been on the DVLA website intending to renew my tax for another 12 months.

Filled in the details as requested, checked them before hitting the Pay button and then got the message that my debit card insurer wouldn't authorise payment...:-)

Crackers.

Rang the listed 0870 number (SayNoTo0870 lists an out of date regional alternative) and it was suggested I should pay over the phone.

I refused, pointing out that I would then be paying not only for my tax but also the DVLA for use of its 0870 number.

Better my local post office gets the benefit of any commission.

Taxing car online - tyro
It's time to renew the tax disc on both my vehicles, and last week I received the reminders in the post. One had the 16 digit code to allow me to renew online. I did so easily.

The other, purchased new in Sept 2003, did not have the 16 digit number. This puzzled me - why should it be?

Anyway, I decided to try, and put in the car reg number and the 11 digit document reference number from the V5. The system didn't recognise the car. Can anyone explain this?
Taxing car online - Bill Payer
I had exactly the same - I assume because the 2003 car needs an MOT.

However mine isn't due until 16th Sept, and I'd assumed I'd be OK renewing for the 1st Sept.
Taxing car online - Happy Blue!
Just tried it for our Sept 2004 car. Wouldn't let me do it. The phone system did OK though.
Taxing car online - tyro
Update.

I'm glad to say I've now managed it.

I am embarassed to say that the reason I didn't succeed first time round was because I was using the reference number from my out of date V5 instead of my up to date V5C.

(exit stage left, with rather red face)
Taxing car online - DP
Taxed the Mondeo and the bike online recently, and both times was quick, painless, efficient and worked perfectly.

As others have said, you do need one of the new printed A4 MOT's though. The Fiesta is still on one of the old style hand written A5 ones and that cannot be taxed online.

Cheers
DP
Taxing car online - Rhubarb
I've just taxed my car using the on-line service and found the site to be painfully slow. Each page took 30 - 60 seconds to load.

Andy