What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - y2k+4
I know there are many backroomers that run Focus' (though anyone feel free to give your opinions). I was just wondering what tyres you guys use, only I need some new one's and, though I've found the Goodyear NCT5 Eagle's (195/60/R15) to last well and handle well, I was wondering whether there are any that are comparable in these respects but also quieter? I'm finding they kick up a lot of tyre roar on the motorway.

Basically, what's the best all-rounder tyre, though I don't want to sacrifice grip, as I think this is easily the most important (and safest) aspect of a tyre. It's just, surely there are quieter...
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Wales Forester
My partner changed the fronts on her Focus from the original Pirelli P6000s to Continental Eco Contacts and the subsequent reduction in harshness and road noise was unbelievable.
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - L'escargot
I was just wondering what
tyres you guys use, only I need some new one's and,
though I've found the Goodyear NCT5 Eagle's (195/60/R15) to last well
and handle well ....

That's what I've got on my 2 litre petrol Focus and I like them. I also had them on a 306 XSi. Rather the devil you know than the devil you don't is my motto.
--
L\'escargot.
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Adam {P}
When I got my car, it had Goodyear NCT5 Eagle's (195/60/R15) on and despite having changed tyres a good number of times since, I haven't been able to match the longevity and quietness of them. (Grip has remained the same - probably a testament to the car)

I've tried Firestones and Michelins but the Firestones were a little quick to wear. (Michelins are new so can't comment yet).

I'm afraid I can't really comment on quietness as I've never noticed. Like you - grip and handling is paramount - I couldn't care less how the car rides or how noisy it is and because of this, I've never really listened to the difference between tyre changes. However, if I had a choice, I'd put Eagles on it in a shot.
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Waino
Sorry to drag this one up again but I'd just like to echo PeterPerfects views on Continental tyres for a Focus. SWMBO's Focus is a 3-door 52 reg 1.6 Chic. I believe that it's based on a Zetec and the suspension is hard(ish).

Tyre history is that it was born with P6000s, the front ones were replaced with Firehawks at 31k miles and at 54.5k miles, we've just replaced all four tyres. I can say that the Firehawks weren't as hardwearing as the P6000s on the front, and the P6000s did well to last for so long at the back. But, throughout, we've been aware of the terrible racket caused by tyre/road noise. A knowledgable friend travelling in the back once (he restores old cars) thought that a bearing was shot.

BUT the replacements this time were Continental ContiPremium Contacts - and they are much, much quieter. Bombing down the A14 this morning, we could actually appreciate the CD player - mind, we generally turn it up anyway when it's Chris Rea singing 'Stainsby girls' ;-)

Let's see how well they last.

Edited by Waino on 03/02/2008 at 22:00

What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Ruperts Trooper
Goodyear Excellence, the successor to NCT5, are quieter than NCT5s.
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Dogmatix
Personally I have Toyo Proxies on my focus as they give fantastic all round performance.
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Dynamic Dave
Goodyear Excellence the successor to NCT5 are quieter than NCT5s.

But are they any better than the NCT5's?

Soon got to replace the ones on my Vectra (thread hijack). In fact, the sooner the better as the NCT5's are rubbish.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2008 at 00:26

But are they any better than the NCT5's?

SQ

I had three sets of NCT5 followed by a set of Excellence on my Astra-G - the Excellence were definitely quieter and more comfortable - for me the wear rates were the same but my son has worn his front Excellence out very quickly - similar car, lighter front axle loading but heavier right foot!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2008 at 10:20

What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - Waino
Goodyear Excellence the successor to NCT5 are quieter than NCT5s.>>

RT, are you talking about a Focus here (I ask because the thread had moved away from 'Focus')? If so, can you compare the Goodyears with anything previously fitted?

I had never considered 'tyre noise' as an issue in almost 40 years of driving ..... but we have found it very noticeable with our Focus and, from comments on previous threads, others have this problem too. It may be exacerbated by the firmer suspension on some models.
I'm referring to an Astra, not a Focus.

OE fit were Michelin XH1 - noisy, wore quickly, replaced with three sets of Goodyear NCT5 - quieter, wore longer, cheaper, finally replaced with Goodyear Excellence - quieter still, wore like NCT5 on my car but quickly on son's.

As tyres do suit some car models better than others that may not be teribly helpful.
What Tyres for a Ford Focus? - ianhadden
I haven't a Focus, got an Almera GTi. I have tried Eagle Ventura's then Hydragrips, Had problems with tracking and went to P5000 Drago's. Did about 1000 miles on them, they had to go. I'm now back on Hydragrips. Quieter, better wet grip and more supple. I like them.