rover diesel won't start - 96punto
I have a 1993 218sld turbo diesel which won't start. It turns over but fails to fire. Any suggestions?
rover diesel won't start - 659FBE
No fuel. Assuming you have checked the obvious, including the tank strainer, measure shutoff valve energisation current then check the solenoid plunger for free movement. As an experiment you can remove the solenoid, extract and leave out the plunger then refit the solenoid to the pump. The engine should then start after priming, but of course will not stop electrically - you would have to use the manual shutoff lever on the pump. Spare parts are available.

rover diesel won't start - Xileno {P}
Possibly duff glowplugs. You need to check whether they're getting any power.
This engine will start at this time of the year without any pre-heat.

Does that apply to all diesels or just this engine? My car always has a delay of a few seconds even on a hot day while the glow plugs are doing their work.
DI diesels will start with far less pre-heat than IDI engines. I was involved with the development of this particular engine - it has its faults but is a spectacularly good cold starter. I never bothered to connect the glowplugs when this particular engine was on test, even in the winter.

Now I'm completely confused. You say that a DI diesel needs less pre-heat but his 218 is IDI.
My applications knowledge is less detailed than my engine knowledge - is this a Rover L series (DI, engineered by Perkins) or a PSA XUD (IDI)? I assumed the former.

Even an IDI is reasonable shape would attempt to fire without pre-heat at present temperatures. If a diesel won't fire, there's almost certainly no fuel.

Rover 218 is PSA.
rover diesel won't start - David Horn
I have an IDI diesel and it'll start with no pre-heat, although you have to crank for 5 or 6 seconds when it's cold.
rover diesel won't start - Civic8
Possibly glow plugs,I own the same car,also others I have come across, including my Dads 220 L reg non turbo,all have needed glow plugs to start.

Even in warm weather,it wont start on first throw without letting plugs heat up first,takes around 6/8 turns in summer and struggles to fire.

As it only takes a few seconds in summer to allow light to go out,it doesnt bother me or anyone else,so unless there is another problem try G/plugs first about £28 the set, if that fails it could be an air leak or fuel supply problem?
--
Steve
rover diesel won't start - RichardW
You can't start a PSA XUD without glowplugs (well not easily anyway!) - even if you don't wait for the light the plugs come on which is why it will fire in 5-6 seconds. Without plugs it will need churning over for at least 30s before it will even entertain firing. Trust me, I know! (BX TD in the Alps with failed plugs....)

Back to OP. Assuming that the cambelt is still intact, and there is still compression, 3 faults to consider: failure of the stop solenoid, failure of the glowplugs / controller, fuel side air leak. Crank the engine, and after a few seconds, check to see if anything is coming out of he exhaust. Grey / white smoke will point at failed plugs. Nothing points at fuelling fault. If nothing, try pumping the fuel primer. If it goes hard after a few pumps, try starting again. If success, you have an air leak. If it's already hard, then suspect the stop solenoid.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....