yaris d4d - pillyb
No Haynes manual on this car - any advice on changing the timing belt? Do I need to change the tensioner? Are any special tools required? All help much appreciated.
yaris d4d - Xileno {P}
It's a chain.
yaris d4d - pillyb
Thats what I first thought, right up to 73000 miles. HJ says its a belt in Saturday's telegraph, its the vvt-i thats a chain.
yaris d4d - Xileno {P}
CBCB says it's a chain.
yaris d4d - Aprilia
I would think its a chain.
Can't you just look at the engine and see if its a chain?
yaris d4d - pillyb
Xileno,

Who is cbcb? Concensus here is that its a chain - as I understood it to be - one of the reasons I bought it.

But, the Service booklet calls up a belt, HJ says its a belt, and the dealer at 70k asked if I wanted the 'belt' changed. Who the heck is right?
yaris d4d - Armitage Shanks {p}
There is wealth of experience and knowledge in this forum but I'd say that if your car handbook, the dealer and HJ say it is a belt my money would be on a belt! Why not go to a dealer with your reg and VIN Nos and ask for a quote for the cost of 'the item' - that will tell you what you are buying?
yaris d4d - Dynamic Dave
Who is cbcb?

It's an abbreviation for Car-by-Car Breakdown, and can be found in the menu bar on the left of the screen.
yaris d4d - Aprilia
I'm still puzzled as to why he can't put the bonnet up and just **look** to see if its a belt or chain. Even without having much mechanical knowledge it should be easy to tell.
yaris d4d - RichardW
I'm with you Aprilla - the OP is intimating that he is going to change the belt (not a beginner's task!), and yet is not even sure if it's belt or chain - the two don't seem to go together! 10s look under the bonnet (ok 60s if it's got an engine cover that needs to come off) will answer the question.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
yaris d4d - madf
I' am confused. The heading says d4d.. then we get "its the vvt-i thats a chain."
The VVTI is a petrol engine.

I know the D4D is a chain - I have just bought one (and looked under the bonnet).

Haynes says the VVTI is a chain. I saw no belts when I looked at them.

madf
yaris d4d - pillyb
mad f - how do you know its a chain without taking the cover off - which looks to be b. difficult!
haynes doesn't cover the d4d only petrol engines.
yaris d4d - Dude - {P}
H.J. clearly states in FAQ`s that all Yaris including the 1.4D are CHAIN :-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=54
yaris d4d - madf
Well either HJ is wrong and I'm incapable of telling the difference between a cambelt cover - plastic /easily removable/pulley belt drive on crankcase - or it's chain driven.
madf
yaris d4d - Aprilia
Belts usually have a thin tin or plastic cover a bit wider than the belt, 1-2".
Chain usually is integrated into the engine (because of lubrication requirement) and there usually is no seperate housing for it, although there well may be a fairly substatial cover made from alloy. You kind of get an 'eye' for spotting these things.
yaris d4d - blue_haddock
I seem to remember that the bigger D4D engines are a belt which needs changing at 60k. Not sure on the Yaris D4D but i think it is a belt too.
yaris d4d - Aprilia
Well, I can't remember what the Yaris is for sure because its a long while since I looked at one and I've looked at a lot of engines since then! I am certain, however, that the 2.2l D-4D is a chain, and I thought the same design was used on all the D-4D engines.
yaris d4d - pillyb
Well, I thank you all for your help and advice. You have to admit though, its not cut and dried. Inchcape of Oxford have offered to have a look - they say it'll take 2 minutes - and confirm one way or the other - probably as Aprilia says, by looking at the cover. One point though - a chain is noisier than a belt, so I wonder if by putting a rod on the cover then to me ear'ole, I could hear the chain links rumbling over the sprockets? Any last thoughts?? I'll let you all know under a new heading "Yaris d4d chain/belt solved"

I'm off to Turkey for two weeks on Monday so I'll post early June. My Yaris's consumption is pretty good (I hope!!): lowest 69mpg, highest 83, average about 75. Anyone else getting these sort of figures? Thanks again, everyone, good wishes, pillyb