are motorists insane? - nutty_nissan
Just got back from Gatwick airport (M23/M25 up to junction 25 for A10). Starting to get dark, raining all the way home. For some reason, lots of surface water and road seemed quite treacherous.

Everyone's speeding along despite the conditions (including me for that matter), fixated on getting home as quickly as possible.

Lots of waves of water in every lane which would make aquaplaning a distinct possibility. I decided to slow down to 50, and move over.

At that point, others slowed down too. I thought perhaps I'd set an example.

No! It was the sight of flashing police lights up ahead that slowed them down. On the hard shoulder was a car that had crashed a few minutes before, and was lying upside down. Did that make anyone think twice?

No! Off everyone went at 80,90,100 again.

A few minutes later, there flashing blue lights holding up traffic on the other carriageway.

Oh, look a Subaru Impreza that had crashed into the central reservation. Wait a minute, don't those cars have 4WD which people think makes them ultra safe, even in the rain? Perhaps he aquaplaned too at too high a speed?

Despite these two incidents, the general pace of traffic continued at speeds which any SANE individual would deem reckless and completely bonkers.

are motorists insane? - mss1tw
Darwinism in action. Not insane, just stupid.
are motorists insane? - nutty_nissan
How you can call them stupid? Some of the motorists were probably thick, some were perhaps well qualified people that are high fliers in the business world. If they can understand risk in the business place, they can understand risk on the road. They simply choose to ignore the risk in front of their nose.
They simply choose to ignore the risk in front of their nose.

Which is...?
are motorists insane? - pmh
This is partly what I used to refer to as the 'large car syndrome'. The further you are isolated from the outside conditions, with airconditioning, quality music, luxury seating, power steering, 4WD,ABS, ESP, the more you come to regard yourself as invulnerable.
The problem is that as time have moved on, most small cars now have these features. (I had left out airbags and seat belts because these had migrated into small cars even longer ago).

Put these drivers into a 2CV and see what happens to average speeds in poor conditions. Driving an old car (or a convertable) makes you very conscious of what is happening outside!

--

pmh (was peter)

are motorists insane? - NARU
Yep, I see this all the time, and its especially obvious when I'm on my motorbike.

People drive half a second from the car in front. Talking on their mobiles. Kids loose in the back. Playing with their satnavs...

... and then they are still doing it when the road is icy, past the local school, everywhere they go.

I find myself starting to drift into this mode when I'm in the car. When I'm on the bike, my senses go into overdrive. I notice the quality of the road surface, how cold it is, whether there is diesel on the road, whether the person behind me is too close. I'm close to giving the bike up! But instead am trying to bring those senses back into my driving.
It's OK guys. Speed limits, legislation and more compulsory safety devices will mean that this is no longer an issue.

Just because you are driving a tonnes worth of metal at 70mph+, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to do the things that matter to you.

Anyone that says otherwise is just selfish.
are motorists insane? - Civic8
some drivers of 2cv`s were nutters,see no reason why modern car drivers should be any different,more a case of drivers dont see any dangers in how they drive.

having a radio on or cd should not put anyone off their driving.

I think its more a case of they think they are immune from having an accident or really dont care,UNTILL it is too late
--
Steve
are motorists insane? - deepwith
Wonder if we should go the way of the French and have lower limits when it rains? Have just come back from Drome/Ardeche area (taste the wine, sip the Eaux de vie!!) and noticed better driving during rain than we usually see - much appreciated with our rather heavier load. ;~)
are motorists insane? - Pugugly {P}
Mind you far more fatalities per km in France.
are motorists insane? - BazzaBear {P}
Mind you far more fatalities per km in France.

That's because of all those sensibly driven 2CV;s getting in the way ;)
are motorists insane? - mike hannon
In my experience, and quite inexplicably, the French drive faster when it's raining.
I think perhaps the only way to learn a hard lesson is to be involved in an accident, you never forget how quickly - often a split second - things can go wrong.
are motorists insane? - Andrew-T
"I think perhaps the only way to learn a hard lesson is to be involved in an accident"

This is obvious really. Until that accident happens, one's own statistical survey proves that they don't. What is all the fuss about? Driving is a totally safe activity. There are no children just round the corner, no-one on the wrong side of the road ...