Red Lights - What are they for? - romeo156
I only say that because in London, there appears to be a general shift to jumping red lights. There has always been "it was on orange" approach, but now you see a lot more of blatant jumping red lights. Is it just a London thing?

Red Lights - What are they for? - stevied
Leeds is the I'm too cool to stop for red lights capital of Britain.

Utter and complete arrogance...
Red Lights - What are they for? - L'escargot
I only say that because in London, there appears to be
a general shift to jumping red lights. There has always
been "it was on orange" approach, but now you see a
lot more of blatant jumping red lights. Is it just
a London thing?

Judging by the high crime rate in London it's probably fair to conclude that the moral standards of people who frequent London are, on average, lower than in most other cities. So it probably is a London thing.
--
L\'escargot.
Red Lights - What are they for? - TheOilBurner
Aside from dubious logic about morals and red light dodging, I can confirm it's getting pretty bad round Birmingham way too.

Green=Go
Amber=Put foot down a bit and go
Red=Go if you think you can get away with it

In all fairness, it doesn't always help that our ever more busy roads often have junctions/roundabouts with lights where traffic bunches up and blocks exits. It's all too tempted to jump that red light if your exit then clears as you approach... Not condoning it, just trying to understand.
Aside from dubious logic about morals and red light dodging ......

Anyone with a high moral standard wouldn't deliberately jump a red light.
--
L\'escargot.
Red Lights - What are they for? - TheOilBurner
You're on dodgy ground there equating the rules of the road when strength of morals, and a little off topic too... ;)

My 2pc worth: to write someones morals off because of poor driving standards is an obvious non-sequiter. Would you also expect red-light jumpers to be burglars, muggers or benefits frauds? Truth is, they're just ordinary people trying to get from A-B, but with less regard to the rules given in the Highway Code than you or I.
Red Lights - What are they for? - boxsterboy
I think it shows just how many cars in London are on false paperwork. They do it because they can't get done for it.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Adam {P}
There's a very fast dual carriageway near me which I've voiced my concerns about on here many times before.

For years and years and years it's been a 70mph limit but last year they lowered it to 60 but in this instance, it's irrlevant. There are a set of lights right outside where we had the last NW BR Meet as it happens that are policed by two red light cameras. Ok so far you think.

The problem is, the amber period on the lights on the Manchester bound carriageway is under 3 seconds. The camera flashed me nearly 3 years ago prompting me to join here to ask for advice. (I hadn't done anything wrong).

This is going somewhere - trust me. Anyway - I was going to Manchester the other night and approached the lights. Lowered my speed in case they went to amber but put it in third in case I passed the point of no return. They turned to amber, I slammed on as did a Sprinter next to me. I managed to stop but it was clear he wasn't going to be able to so booted it. He crossed the line JUST as they turned to red - flash flash. Whether there's any film in I don't know.

You're probably thinking fair enough. But, coming back on the Liverpool bound carriageway, I saw the lights change to red long before I reached them - pulled up to the stop line and then an Audi A6 must have gone through at 100+ easy - I barely had time to see what it was.

Guess what - no flash.

I have no problem with red light cameras but having a sub - 3 second amber phase on such a quick road? As a result - I really hate that road. Since me getting flashed 3 years ago, I've been flashed 3 more times. Once when turning and twice when going through on green. All times I haven't committed an offence.
Red Lights - What are they for? - scotty
There's a very fast dual carriageway near me which I've voiced
my concerns about on here many times before.
For years and years and years it's been a 70mph limit
but last year they lowered it to 60 but in this
instance, it's irrlevant.

That wouldn't be A580 East Lancs by any chance would it?
Red Lights - What are they for? - Adam {P}
Yes - as it happens, it's would!
Red Lights - What are they for? - Alan
Its bad everywhere and getting worse. This is one case where I belive there should be more cameras. Ive sometimes seen three cars go over after the lights have gone to red. This is far more important than cameras set to catch someone exceeding the speed limit at 3am when the roads are empty.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Baskerville
>Would you also expect red-light jumpers to be burglars, muggers or benefits frauds?

Actually you are dead wrong. Here's a link to a Home Office report on the subject (WARNING: downloads PDF):

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/prgpdfs/brf500.pdf

And here's a snippet from the conclusions:

The evidence shows that serious traffic offenders cannot be thought of simply as otherwise law-abiding members of the public. Even drink drivers (who are the least involved in mainstream crime) are estimated to be twice as likely to have a criminal record as members of the general population.
and a little off topic too...

Oooh, that slap on the wrist really stung! ;-)

--
L\'escargot.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Baskerville
Here's a good red light runner:

youtube.com/watch?v=SbY0Jh9_RJ8

{Link made non clickable as vid clips soak up HJ's bandwidth. Add http:// to the start of it and copy / paste into your URL address bar - DD}
Red Lights - What are they for? - ziggy
Surely every taxi driver knows: red means 'go', but be prepared to give way on green... as you never know what lunatic is coming the other way..!
Red Lights - What are they for? - barchettaman
Pedestrians: look out
snipurl.com/6eem
Red Lights - What are they for? - stevied
Too much traffic, a me me me mentality and a lack of police.

I am rapidly running out of patience with this "sceptred isle". Septic isle more like. And yes, I KNOW there's problems everywhere, but we think of ourselves as somehow superior in the UK, and I genuinely believe we're a long way down the pan.

Rant rant rant rant!

Anyone want to offer me a job somewhere nice, or at least different? : )
Red Lights - What are they for? - Galaxy
I think the problem is getting worse everywhere, not just in London.

We don't need more cameras, but we do need more (perhaps I should say "some") Traffic Police.
Red Lights - What are they for? - teabelly
Amber light jumping when it is clear to go eg when turning right before the other traffic starts seems to be a case of optimisation on the part of the motorist. If everyone did actually obey the traffic signals exactly would congestion end up being worse as there would be fewer cars going through at each junction? I used to find amber jumping annoying but now I think well if they time it and make sure they clear the junction then I have no problem with it as they're making best use of the available road. Local authorities can help by not having long waits between light changes when you don't need one.Some delay between changing one side to red and the other being green which is way in excess of what is needed. Making the amber phase in the middle a bit longer instead would make more sense.

Red light jumping is another thing altogether. How much light jumping is linked to the hysteria over car jacking? In big cities I'd rather keep moving if I can and I think may partly explain the increase in some groups. If there were some dodgy people hanging around late at night then I'd probably jump a red if it was safe to do so and I thought I might be in danger.
teabelly
Red Lights - What are they for? - Big Bad Dave
Even if the drivers are wide awake and on the ball you still only get a handful of cars through a typical London light. The trouble is it?s usually Mr Manual Gearbox up on pole position who doesn?t start searching for gears until it?s been green for five seconds, then he?s fiddling with his handbrake and looking for biting points, dithering and faffing and generally oblivious to the drivers behind who all have tea on the table and would really like to get home too.
Red Lights - What are they for? - mss1tw
Mr Manual Gearbox
he?s fiddling with his handbrake and looking for biting
points, dithering and faffing

Suggest you come out for a spin with me sometime. ;o)
Red Lights - What are they for? - Red Baron
"Local authorities can help by not having long waits between light changes when you don't need one."

Very funny.

There are a set of traffic light that I pass through each day. A fully laden artic is not even through (from a standing start) before the orange phase cuts in. In the meantime, the adjoining road has only one car waiting?!?!??!
Red Lights - What are they for? - mare

There are a set of traffic light that I pass through
each day. A fully laden artic is not even through
(from a standing start) before the orange phase cuts in.
In the meantime, the adjoining road has only one car waiting?!?!??!

Tell the council, who may not even know. Then if they don't do anything, tell the local paper, especially if they like bashing the council.
Red Lights - What are they for? - drbe
"Local authorities can help by not having long waits between light
changes when you don't need one."
Very funny.
There are a set of traffic light that I pass through
each day. A fully laden artic is not even through
(from a standing start) before the orange phase cuts in.
In the meantime, the adjoining road has only one car waiting?!?!??!

The junction of A244 and B377 Chertsey Road and Ashford Road, Lower Feltham is exactly the same.

Is that the junction you are referring to?
Red Lights - What are they for? - Hamsafar
Just beacuse it's legal, it doesn't mean it's right.
In my city, there are far too many traffic lights phased to cause maximum delay, and often deliberately set to change in favour of the road where there are no cars. There are some traffic lights which change red and stop the traffic for no reason whatsoever as the roads to the sides are either closed or have been altered years ago to roads on the right with no right turn in front of you.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Malcolm_L
Spot on, it also doesn't help that instead of being phased to allow traffic to flow, lights are often phased to deliberately impede progress. (Thanks, Ken)

Do I go through red lights, yes I do but I also know what a traffic light camera looks like and I'm fully aware of the consequences should I have an accident or get caught by plod.
AFAIC, it's like speeding, yes it's wrong always in the eyes of the law, however it's inappropriate speed that's the problem not speeding per se.

Red Lights - What are they for? - eProf
Red light jumping is another thing altogether. How much light jumping
is linked to the hysteria over car jacking? In big cities
I'd rather keep moving if I can and I think may
partly explain the increase in some groups. If there were some
dodgy people hanging around late at night then I'd probably jump
a red if it was safe to do so and I
thought I might be in danger.

Hi teabelly! Going through the redlight is fairly standard practice in Johannesburg unless you want to be a victim of a lead-assisted transfer of vehicle ownership.

eProf

Red Lights - What are they for? - grafen
The same problem everywhere I reckon.

Apart from it being dangerous, I find it very selfish, esp. if you are waiting to turn right at a junction...

But sooner or later, they are going to get caught, or cause an accident.
Red Lights - What are they for? - type's'
I can only endorse what people are saying on this thread - I noticed a trend with people doing this round my area - but what really shocks me is that they currently seem to be taking it to an even more dangerous level where not only will one car continue on a red but others are following. I have started to drive from a green light only to still have cars from the right nipping in front of me.
Is it all really worth the 2 minutes it saves - I think not - a very dangerous practice that the police should crack down on.

Red Lights - What are they for? - David Horn
I reckon Leeds has the biggest problem with red light jumpers at the moment, particularly taxi drivers. It's usual for me to have to stop in the middle of a junction because someone's jumping the light after mine has turned green.
Red Lights - What are they for? - henry k
I can only endorse what people are saying on this thread
- I noticed a trend with people doing this round my
area - but what really shocks me is that they currently
seem to be taking it to an even more dangerous level
where not only will one car continue on a red but
others are following. I have started to drive from a green
light only to still have cars from the right nipping in
front of me...... very dangerous practice that the police
should crack down on.

At the Hinchley Wood traffic lights on the A309 (the old Kingston bypass) there is a high risk of a big accident.
Going east,there has been an old fashioned Gatso at the lights for years but I have not seen it flash for years.
It is a 3 lane 40mph dual carriageway plus right turn lanes/lights into the side roads.
Jumping the lights big time is the norm, often at I would guess 60/70mph even when the lights for the crossing traffic have turned to green.

It is so bad that when I am turning right to go west I now wait on the green and then creep off. The view to my right is restricted by the curve of the road and the idiots use the three lane slope off the railway bridge to accelerate through the lights. They bank on a slow take off up a steepish camber, plus a right turn and I have to cross two lanes before they have no escape lane.
Jumping the lights in the other direction is almost as common.
I am trying to find out why the Gatso does not appear to be in use. Having the thing already installed, this one camera I really do want working.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Lounge Lizard
OK, what about this situation?

At the moment, I travel to my work on a route that includes a long, open, dual carriageway. You can see for several hundred meters in both directions.

I travel down this dual carriageway until I turn right off the dual carriageway onto a quiet road which is equally open and you can see a fairly long way down it.

For many decades, this junction had no traffic lights; however, recently traffic lights have been installed. For most times of the day, both roads are reasonably (or very) quiet; certainly quiet enough to have to wait no more than a few seconds to turn right (or no wait at all).

My question is this: Supposing I am waiting at this junction to turn right. The traffic light is on red; but there is no traffic coming the other way for 100s of meters (excellent vision as previously mentioned).

Why would I be wrong to jump the red light in this situation?

(If anyone's interested, the junction is near Chester on the A5117, close to the M56 juntion 14. It's the FIRST turn towards the village of Elton after leaving M56 J14 roundabout up A5117, NOT the much busier crossroads a bit further up the road)
Red Lights - What are they for? - David Horn
Any car or bike that can hit 150+mph (and it happens on dual carriageways because there are idiots about) will cover your 200m in just over 2.5 seconds. Admittedly, they probably couldn't stop for a traffic light, but things happen very quickly.

I wouldn't think about jumping a red light. Ever. The only time I would consider doing it is if I got an emergency vehicle behind me.

Come to think of it, I was walking through Leeds the other day and an ambulance came up to a red light and was behind a car and a bus. The bus driver effectively forced the car driver through the red light by driving right up to the back of their car and inching forwards. Didn't actually touch them, but this car nearly broadsided another car when it went through.

Suspect in that situation I'd have let the bus hit my car and played hell afterwards.
Red Lights - What are they for? - type's'
So the question for me is why do people do it ?
Is it because as motorists we are becoming more and more restricted in going about our normal business with bus lanes, car sharing lines, fined if we do 34 SAFELY when the limit is 30 etc. There are idiots out there - always have been and always will be but why put lights in an area as above. Having thought about it, I see red ligt hopping at it's worst just before a bus lane that sits empty while a single lane of car traffic queues for about a mile in rush hour - I'm not condoning it but maybe its no wonder people nip past the red light to try and recover some time whilst the queue beside a bus lane that sits empty.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Xileno {P}
"I wouldn't think about jumping a red light. Ever. The only time I would consider doing it is if I got an emergency vehicle behind me."

You may wish to reconsider...
www.paramedic.org.uk/news_archive/2005/07/999drive...w
Red Lights - What are they for? - Dipstick
"Why would I be wrong to jump the red light in this situation?"

Because it's a red light. Laws are there to be obeyed. If they are stupid then campaign in all ways that you are able to to get them changed - but whilst they are there, obey them.

If you don't, then it's all just a question of degree.

You jump that light, because you think it's ok. Someone behind you thinks "oh, he got away with it". And they do the same thing - and then again at the next light around the corner. And before you know where you are, you get people doing it in a dangerous fashion all over the country through all sorts of red lights "because everybody else does it".

So don't be an everybody, would be my suggestion!

Red Lights - What are they for? - Tim Allcott
I'm sure most people have heard the joke the punchline to which reads: "so why did you stop at a green light? My brother might have been coming the other way" for those who haven't you can probably work out the rest from the punchline.
Have just returned from the States where the "right turn on red light" rule is interesting; (clearly marked where not allowed) I know there is an issue with pedestrians crossing (more of them in the U.K.?) Maybe there is a case for signage indicating "Left turn on red light allowed" over here. What do people think?
Tim{P}
Red Lights - What are they for? - Big Bad Dave
We do that in Poland too but the light has a clear green directional arrow in addition to the main red light. It does filter you out onto pedestrian crossings on "green man" but you just have to be aware of that - and give way. Most of the time it works really well but it does get abused in various ways.
Red Lights - What are they for? - Malcolm_L
Dipstick,
you can't pick and choose which laws you obey and which you don't.

Please don't tell you don't ever exceed the speed limit, I'm not saying that jumping red lights is the same as speeding but it's still a law being broken.
Red Lights - What are they for? - mrmender
"Why would I be wrong to jump the red light in

"Jump" & "Redlight" means something totaly different to me!