windscreens - harrison
how do I prevent the windscreen wipers leaving marks on the windscreen. do the blades need changing more frequently and if so how often?
Re: windscreens - Pete W
How often do you change them ? How many miles are you doing between changes ?
PS Do you ever turn them on with an iced -up widscreen ?
Re: windscreens - David W
Do you mean permanent scratches or just that they don't wipe clean?

David
Re: windscreens - Tomo
You can't! Somebody nicked Prudence's driver's side wiper recently (and curiously replaced it with a very messy old one!) and I duly trotted off and bought a correct replacement, by Bosch as it happens. It has left a smear on the same place since day 1, despite all cleaning. I hesitate to buy another, lest the smear be in the line of sight next time.
Re: windscreens - Tom Shaw
The biggest culprits for damaging wiper blades and scratching screens are wash/wipe systems which allow the wipers to give one whole sweep of the screen before any water gets to it. I would much prefer the older system where the washer could be operated independantly, allowing one to decide for oneself when the screen was wet enough to allow the wipers to operate safely.

A case of "Improved" technology we could well have done without.
Re: windscreens - Andy P
I think the recommendation is that wiper blades be replaced every year. I also find that regular cleaning with something like Cif, to get rid of all the grease and other c**p makes them work a lot better, and a lot quieter.

Andy

(P.S. Cif is really good stuff, and it does my shares no harm whatsoever...)
Re: windscreens - humpy
I have been really frustrated by the smears I get on my ZX. I have taken advice and replaced not only the wipers (Bosch double wipe) but also the arm (apparently the spring gets tired after a while) but the biggest culprit for smearing, I find, is the wax that you get from car washes. I don't think it's particularly suitable for windscreens unless you drive at high speed.

Cif have abrasives in the formula, it may work well but I wouldn't recommend it, others may find differently in the short term!!

Probelm is solved by using Rain-X but it is expensive.
Re: windscreens - alvin booth
I once read that there is no known method of removing wax polish from glass.
alvin
Re: windscreens - Andy P
Further to my previous post, I've been using Jif/Cif for years without any problems. It's not abrasive enough to scratch glass.

Andy
Re: windscreens - rogerb
I have tried a previously recommended method, using hot water with a little dishwasher powder added.
It works well; just rinse with lots of plain water & don't get the hot stuff on the paintwork !
Re: windscreens - chis eglinton

I would recommend replacing front wipers every year, just before winter stats. You will be suprised at the difference they make to driving vision and pleasure.
They will also operate much more smoothly.
Re: windscreens - Peter
To cut down on the wiper blades squealing across the screen, wipe the screen using paper kitchen towel and neat screenwash once a week. Removes all the waxes and road dirt very easily and it is kind to both the glass and the rubber seals.
Re: windscreens - Robin
On the subject of scratches in windscreens, does anyone know how to "erase" hairline scratches ? I have 3 or 4 hairline scratches on the inside surface of my windscreen which are all in the drivers' view and was wondering if there was any substance that can safely remove them. I was told about some stuff you could get from a jewellers but have not had any joy.

Thanks

Robin
Re: windscreens - KB
Heaven forbid that I should disagree with Tomo - but you can clean windscreens.
Rain X do a 'High performance glass cleaner' in 200ml bottles and it works. Inside and outside + mirrors, computer screens, spectacles, glass eyes etc. Follow this with Rain X Rain 'Repellant'.

I've never managed to get rid of scratches though.

I always use good quality replacement blades. The cheap ones are OK for a while but the dearer ones are better.

KB.
Re: windscreens - mark
I consider halford blades just as good as the bosch ones, a few quid cheaper.As you say you need to replace every year anyway for optimun performance.
Re: windscreens - KB
OK, I was joking about glass eyes. (and yes it was in bad taste - sorry about that)

KB.
Re: windscreens - Kev
You mean someone was offended by you? You're a bad influence old man. ;-)

Younger Kev, looking for a Werther's original..........

P.S No insult intended
Hairline scratches probably caused by wiping the window with a cloth whilst also wearing a diamond ring on your finger - very easy to do if your ring just happens to glance across the surface. I've always wondered about the strength of the screen thereafter as this is the method used by glaziers to cut glass. I guess that the problem is worse on toughened windows.