VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - roverman
I've noticed a lot of new (55 / 06 plate) VAG cars recently which put a huge amount of black smoke out of the exhaust. Is this a trait of VAG cars?. My diesel never produces any smoke at all, even under hard acceleration.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - roverman
I was considering an A4 or Golf but if there's a guaranteed embarrasing smoke screen following then I'll cross them off my list of contenders.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - mss1tw
New Fords seem to be the worst for this now. Most PSA cars I've seen are very clean by comparison.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - TheOilBurner
My current Vauxhall is clean as a whistle (1.9 CDTI) but my old 2.0 DTI smoked more than John Wayne...
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Dr Rubber
My 1.9TDI only smokes if I floor it after a long idle or period of low revs. Other than that its fine. My old 1.9 SDI though smoked whenever I floored it. I think it varies on the engine and diesel quality.
Joe
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Roly93
The VaG PD engines can be slightly smokey on accelaration. My diesel A4 is generally okay, but can smoke sometimes if I get a tankfull of poor diesel, on the Continent for example.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Mystic
Is it not beacuse particulate filters not an extra cost option on VAG's?
I know they are in Germany for instance..
Whereas the french fit them as standard.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Adam {P}
>>New Fords seem to be the worst for this now<<

I thought they were PSA diesels! ;-)
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - dieselhead
I see this when mostly (mercedes, vw group, ford do seem worst) drivers plant their foot to the floor when the engine is bogged down at low revs during overtaking...too much fuel and not enough turbo boost pressure gives the smokescreen.

Result of driver error unless maf meter etc. is faulty. Throttle should never be snapped open on a diesel at low revs as time is needed for the engine to respond to the increase in fuel. If you see smoke in the exhaust your just wasting fuel, causing x1000 or so usual amount of pollution and not going any faster so just back of a bit.
This could be eliminated by attention to engine management design but since exhaust emissions are never tested by authorities at full throttle this isn't done by manufacturer's..
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Altea Ego
Yes VAG diesels are smokier than most under full welly. If you claim yours is not you are not following it so you dont know and you are in denial.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - nortones2
I asked a colleague following to look for smoke on my 1.9tdi Passat: on Mway with sustained, repeated, snap to full throttle, from hold-ups. Nothing. Following VAG vehicles, they seem very unlikely to give out anything noticeable, unlike Fords! If there is a cloud of smoke, must be a fault with the fuel or the mapping. Perhaps they've had a performance remap?
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - adverse camber
more likely egr problems. Lots of people blank off the egr (either a plate or a ballbearing) which they say solves the problem.

You want smoke, then the v70tdi (old vw engine) if its been doing lots of low speed short journeys then you hammer it to overtake can blot out the sun.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - JohnM{P}
"Yes VAG diesels are smokier than most under full welly"
Rubbish - get your Touran checked out! Next you'll be telling us that it's more thirsty than your Laguna was...

Smoke may be invisible during the day but is clearly visible at night when lit up by the following vehicle's headlights. As a previous poster has noted, prolonged idle or light load running will cause some smoke when accelerator is 'floored' for the first time, but not subsequently. I have occasionally noticed a VAG diesel producing a lot of black smoke when accelerating on the motorway, but that is rare and no more commonplace than any other make of new car. (Also, I've never had any sooty marks by the exhaust on any of the multitude of VW/Audi diesels I've had, whereas my LagunaII always had a black patch on its bumper, as did many others I've seen...)
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - bimmer-driver
I think you can add BMWs to the smoky diesels list especially the 1 series I was following when it went to overtake the other day.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Altea Ego
You living a parallel but inverted planet JohnM?

I see no smoke from my Touran, ergo it does not smoke

Funny thing is tho that all VAG diesels have a downwards pointing exhaust pipe so as not to soot up the paint
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Funny thing is tho that all VAG diesels have a downwards
pointing exhaust pipe so as not to soot up the paint

I think almost all diesels have a downward pointing exhaust, cus even though you may not be able to see smoke, eventually the paintwork would otherwise get blackened by ANY diesel exhaust on the planet.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - JohnM{P}
"You living a parallel but inverted planet JohnM?"
You mean the M4, where it is legal requirement to hold a mobile to your ear the whole time (like the DB9 driver yesterday, last of 6 cars doing 85mph, each with just a car's length between them)?

"I see no smoke from my Touran, ergo it does not smoke"
- good point, you'd need to have a rat's nest in the cat. to see smoke behind you in daylight - that's why I made the point about it being easier to see at night in the headlights of the following cars.

I rarely see a badly smoking modern diesel on the motorway, so any that do are more noticeable. Considering that the majority of VW's and Audis are diesel, I suspect they have even fewer bad'uns than other makes...

Is the downwards pointing exhaust an EU requirement (as they couldn't make the straight banana law stick)?
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Group B
I've noticed a lot of Mondeos and Jag X-types with smoky exhausts on acceleration lately.
You never know whether the offending car has a tuning box fitted. Plug in tuning boxes *can* increase black smoke quite significantly, particularly if the owner has not fitted a free-flowing air filter. The engine cannot suck in sufficient air for the increased volume of fuel injected.
I have a tuning box fitted to my car but it is not too bad smoke-wise, not too noticeable most of the time. Can be very noticeable on busy motorway junction roundabouts, where you're idling for 20 seconds then have to nail it to get into a gap.
"Is the downwards pointing exhaust an EU requirement (as they couldn't make the straight banana law stick)?"

Nope. My diesel car has an exhaust that points straight out the back. It's just that smokier diesels adopted the downward exhaust method to help hide the acceleration cloud, particularly from the driver as they pulled off the forecourt in their brand new oilburner.

Times change though.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - mike hannon
Almost every diesel car I happen to be following seems to smoke excessively under acceleration - when overtaking for example. Renaults seem to be particularly bad. Sometimes I think most diesel drivers are in denial over this serious problem.
Have you considered that maybe some of the cars you see that don't smoke might be diesels?

It's a little bit of a generalisation to say that because you see some diesels smoke, that they all do. Don't you think? :)
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - moonshine {P}

These days the only smoking cars I see are diesels. It seems to be increasingly rare to see blue smoke from petrol cars. What amazes me is that the worst offenders seem to be fairly new (1 or 2 years old) diesels.

Personally I hate being stuck behind a diesels (I either overtake or slow down to get some distance), why should I be forced to breath in the cancer causing particulates that they spew out? Should be socially unacceptable just like passive smoking in pubs. Also, don't believe the argument about them being more 'environment friendly' then petrol engines - whats the point of avoiding gloabal warming if our lungs are full of soot! And they still spew out loads of CO2 and use up resources to build!

How many people here have changed a pollen filter? Horrible to think that so much rubbish is in the air we breath.

I think its safe to say that ALL diesels produce smoke, it's only when it becomes excessive that it can be easily seen.
You make it sound like petrol engines produce no dangerous gases.

If only that were true!

When I've been cycling, I can tell you with great authority that I didn't like being behind diesel or petrol engined cars...

Diesel, petrol, electric - none of them are environment friendly. Good to hear you cycle, that's probably as close as we can get to being environmently friendly!

I thing I don't don't like is people justifying using their car more than needed (or having a 4x4) on basis that it's a diesel and therfore environmently friendly....
Cheers. I agree, the relative merits of different fuels is neither here or there. Choose your poison as it were? :)
Well, I dunno. When I sniff the exhaust from either of my (petrol, catalysed) cars it seems - if anything - to smell of almonds.
But if I am following anything diesel - especially under acceleration or going uphill - there's a horrible choking stench that makes me shut the windows and sunroof and switch the ventilation to 'recirculate'. Cars seem as bad as lorries.
Sounds like a re-run of Temple of Vtec.....There's someone there who stoutly maintains that all diesel are smelly and all petrol engines give off the odour of chrsanthemums or something. Hypersensitivity?
What's 'Temple of Vtec'?
As it happens, one of my cars is a Prelude vti...
Hi MH: this is a link: www.vtec.net/

The site is interesting in that it has a transatlantic flavor, plus some insights into the technical side, if you want to know the minutae of say the Jazz engines, e.g. asia.vtec.net/ which is even more enthusiastic/rabidly Honda.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - Rudedog
Golf Mk IV TDI (90bhp)- 142,000 miles I've driven mine hard, fed it good fuel (mine likes Shell) and check the oil is never above the max line, only time I've had any smoke was after I hadn't started it after a weeks holiday.
Diesel, petrol, electric - none of them are environment friendly. Good
to hear you cycle, that's probably as close as we can
get to being environmently friendly!
I thing I don't don't like is people justifying using their
car more than needed (or having a 4x4) on basis that
it's a diesel and therfore environmently friendly....

>>
The answer realy is for people to stop spreading their families across the UK and doing 'supercommutes' to their place of work !
Followed a Saab 95 2.2 diesel home, randomly belching OK really think dense smoke. Not a lot of it, but enough.
Followed a Saab 95 2.2 diesel home, randomly belching OK really
think dense smoke. Not a lot of it, but enough.

What the hell was I on?

It was thick black smoke, a small little puff of it every now and then. Really black and noxious looking.
VW group diesels - smoking exhaust - NeilT
Like already said on here, theres so many diesels on the road now, I bet you follw some witout noticing. I have an alergy to cats and hayfever, diesel fumes also set it off, yet I have followed my wife driving my previous diesels and not suffered.

Cuurently I run a company owned '55 reg 320d Auto, and my wife runs our '06 reg 330d manual. The 330d has a particulte filter, and hence doesn't smoke at all, the 320d, now on 13k miles smokes accasionally at the point of flooring it, but is then ok. Its normally driven hard BTW.

My previous diesels also smoked a bit, but not excessive, and when we did drive to the in-laws seperatly for what ever reason (140miles), I sometime sruggled to see smoke.

1. 2000 SEAT Leon TDi 110 chipped to 154bhp, run for 90k miles witout a problem (except replacement MAF meter), marginal smoke after chipping, none before.
2. 2004 Mondeo TDCi 130, marginal smoke before bluefin chip, quite smokey at times after chip fitted.
3. 2001 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 HDi van, my race support van, no smoke, now at 125k miles.

However, i did own a 176k mile Montego TD for a short while some years back.... 55mpg, but excessive smoke... mind you, thats another story... my 1.6 petrol Montego was the most reliable car i've ever owned until the BMW's.

--
Neil T
E90 BMW 320d M Sport, E91 330d SE Touring

So out of the diesels you have owned half of them are smokey. Your current car only smokes when you floor it, you then go on to say it's driven hard - so it's smokey as well then?