Omega 2.5 TD - as003
Any reliablility concerns for an Omega 2.5 TD Auto? 1999 T? 129k miles?
What should I look for?
Omega 2.5 TD - TheOilBurner
These Omegas have the BMW 6 cylinder engine, a nice unit but needs to be serviced regularly - every 6,000 miles in fact.

Chances are, at some point in the car's life it will have been forgotten about or delayed for some reason. Abuse like that doesn't do them much good at all.

Check the service history with a fine teeth comb!
Omega 2.5 TD - SpamCan61 {P}
The only specific issue with the 2.5TD I can think of is that the plastic water pump impellors have a habit of disintegrating.

Perosonally I'm also rather dubious as to whether the autobox is up to the job with this engine - I've know three Omega owners with dead autoboxes, and all 3 were 2.5TDs.
Omega 2.5 TD - Collos25
Change oil twice as often as stated,change the cam belt and tensioner and as already stated the water pump thats imperative.
Omega 2.5 TD - Hamsafar
Don't change t he cambelt, as there isn't one.
Omega 2.5 TD - as003
As far as I know, the gearbox is from a Frontera, mated to a second rate BMW Diesel engine, not the same as in the 5 series. There have been a lot of common gearbox related problems, and the engines are not as fuel efficient as the BMW 2.5TDS's. So I will rather look for a BMW 5Series after all that! Thanks for all your help.
>>the engines are not as fuel efficient as the BMW 2.5TDS's

True enough, I was about to point out that this isn't the diesel to go for if you're after fuel efficient motorway cruising.
Omega 2.5 TD - as003
Thing is, I am after a reliable Diesel Automatic.

I am now considering an A4 or Passat TDI Auto. Anyone know anything about these?
Omega 2.5 TD - Hamsafar
No, it's EXACTLY the same M51 engine and ancillaries as used in 525tds, 325tds and 725tds of that era, it is a straight swap if need be, the only difference is the ECU mapping limits to 130PS instead of 143PS, and that's easily dealt with for around £40.
The Elite Omega is even heavier than a 7 series of same vintage at 1.87 tonnes, that's why the mpg will be lower.

The auto gearbox is the robust hydramatic GM 4L30E was never used in the Frontera, it was used in some BMWs mainly in the USA (I think only the Z3 here) and some Hondas (Acura) (not in European markets) the Isuzi Trooper/Rodeo.
Omega 2.5 TD - Hamsafar
Sorry, the 4L30E was used in Frontera as AR35.
Omega 2.5 TD - Chad.R
I thought that there were 2 versions of the BMW M51 6cyl diesel - 1 one without an intercooler, badged td and one with, badged tds.

I'm not 100% sure but IIRC the Omega has the version without an intercooler.
Omega 2.5 TD - Hamsafar
All these Omegas have intercooler with electric fan.
Omega 2.5 TD - Collos25
Change oil twice as often as stated,change the cam belt and
tensioner and as already stated the water pump thats imperative.

>>
Sorry I meant the timing chain tensioner
From memeory I don't think the Omega has the same ECU mapping as the BMW, and rather less bhp.
Omega 2.5 TD - rg
I thought about one around 4 years ago before I bought my Citroen XM 2.5 estate.

One of my concerns was the amount of independent knowledge "out there" to fix the bits that go wrong.

r
Omega 2.5 TD - as003
Yes, you are correct. Vauxhall don't know enough about these engines, and BMW will not touch them. The fact is, the BMW 5 series diesel and the Omega's engines are different. There is no connection to the ECU mappings. BMW sold this engine (originally built for the 3&5 series) to Vauxhall, as it wasn't good enough for BMW. BMW then built another engine (from scratch) for thier own cars. I found this out from a technician at BMW, verified by a chap at Vauxhall. The gearboxes used on early 1994-1996 were the same used in the Frontera and many problems are associated with tis box mated to the 2.5td engine. After that, not sure. So verdict, better to buy a dive series BMW. At least I know what I am getting for my money.

Omega 2.5 TD - Fullchat
Had the auto estate version. Not impressed. Constatly throwing money at it. Squeaked and groaned round the door seals. The autobox was awful especially when towing caravan, even with extra cooler fitted. Consumption was dire. The power outputs were pathetically low for a 2500 litre diesel.
--
Fullchat
Omega 2.5 TD - Hamsafar
The M51 in the Omega and Range Rover is exactly the same unit as that in the BMW 325tds, 525tds, and 725tds. How can you claim it wasn't good enough for BMW so they sold it to Vauxhall when BMW continued to use it for over 6 years after they sold it to GM and Land Rover.

It was used in E34, E36 during their entire life. It was also used in late E30s and early E39s. BMW used the engine for 9 years.
It was then given a makeover in 2000, this was not fitted to Vauxhalls, but was fitted to Opels on the continent.

IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME ENGINE, even alternator and aircon compressor were same as BMW! The round BMW diagnostic connector is near the alternator and has a plug in it which takes it to the GM socket under the streering wheel.

BMW detuned the ECU for the Omega and Range Rover.
It was considered the best diesel engine in it's day (early nineties), but suffers from the usual lack of attention to detail you get from BMW engines, and it has common points of failure like so many otehr of their engines.

At the end of the day we are talking about a 7 year old car here, with a 14 year old design engine.