vw vento 1.9 tdi engine cutting out - corkball
hi there
my vw vento 1.9 tdi has developed a potentially dangerous fault i.e. the engine cuts out a various speeds on side roads and on the motorway,after pulling over the engine turns over but will not start immediately it may be it may be seconds or sometimes 5 minutes. on occassions it has refused to start after parking up for a short while yet afer being parked up overnight it always starts first time.any ideas

thanks
corkball
engine cuuting out - Screwloose
corkball

Your first check should be the engine control relay, [often stamped "109"] in the fusebox.

Worn ignition switch contacts heating-up could cause this too; but relays are far cheaper and easier to check. Pop the top off and check for a smell of burning or cracked solder joints on the internal circuit board.
engine cuuting out - corkball
screwball
relay ok any tips on how to check ignition contacts.
thanks
engine cuuting out - George Porge
Check the fuel delivery pipes to the filter and pump for air bubbles when the car cuts out. Check that the pipes are secure and not perished. The pump on the engine sucks fuel from the tank, if the pipework has leaks the diesel will drain back to the tank and the car will stop. Good luck
engine cuuting out - Railroad.
Test for voltage drop across the contacts at the connector. Anything more than 0.25V drop should be considered a poor connection in this case.....
engine cuuting out - solara
Next time it cuts out, try manually priming the fuel system using the hand pump (rubber grenade style object), until it goes hard. If it starts immediately after doing this, you have a fuel leak/blockage in your system.
engine cuuting out - Raman
Your problem does sound like faulty relay 109 just like screwloose said. VW upgraded the relay to one which as a grey cover. It will only cost around £10. I had the same problem. VW breakdown guy replaced it. Everything was OK after that. If you remove the cover from Relay 109 you will see that the relay is mounted on a PCB. It's these soldered joints that go dry. Reflow the joints and keep in glove box as a spare. Hope this helps.
engine cutting out - corkball
thanks raman.if the fault occurs again i will replace relay 109 with a new one, incidently the existing relay is a grey colour.many thanks to all who have given info as to the possible cause of the problem.