Dealer access to service history - Greenslade

Until 2005, I had been a Volvo owner for 10 years. It was apparent that the service history of my vehicles could be accessed by any dealer through a computer system - even back in the mid-90s.

In 2005 I switched to a Honda Accord. In trying (and failing) to get Honda to answer a simple query today, I have established that only the dealer carrying out the service has access to the relevant service record - there is no central database. This has been confirmed by two unrelated Honda outlets and Honda head office.

Unfortunately, the Honda franchise I purchased the car from in 2005 is no longer trading, so the only record of my 2005 service is a stamp in a book - a book which I cannot presently locate, but that's my problem.

Should I be amazed by this non-sharing of information, or were Volvo always an exception to the rule?
Dealer access to service history - adverse camber
Volvo arent always that good. My v70 was serviced and stamped when new at the main dealer which has now closed - at least I assume that the stamps in the book are real, who buys a new v70 and doesnt get it dealer serviced for the warranty ? Its not listed by the volvo main computer and the remaining outlets of the dealer group in question told me that the records were destroyed when the branch closed.
Dealer access to service history - Vansboy
We ran a Rover 827,(very nice car too) for a short time, as our 'own' car, early '90's & they had an all dealer access, to service records, back then - guess trying to move the flagship model upmarket.

Wouldn't help now though, would it!!??

VB
Dealer access to service history - Altea Ego
Renault dont have centralised records. I understand VW do?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Dealer access to service history - PhilW
Think Citroen do since our "English" Xantia record seemed to be checked by a French dealer last year to get the code for the radio after a repair which involved loss of code - but I am open to correction! Repair had been done in one garage and code looked up for us in another 100 miles away.
--
Phil
Dealer access to service history - L'escargot
Think Citroen do since our "English" Xantia record seemed to be
checked by a French dealer last year to get the code
for the radio after a repair which involved loss of code
- but I am open to correction! Repair had been done
in one garage and code looked up for us in another
100 miles away.

The radio code is a part of the car's specification, not it's service history.
--
L\'escargot.
Dealer access to service history - machika
Our local Citroen dealer can't even amend the records of our car, to take account that it has a different registration number to when it was first registered.
Dealer access to service history - cheddar
Renault dont have centralised records. I understand VW do?

Ford do. IIRC Renault do based on our experience of moving house and changing dealer a few years ago.
Dealer access to service history - Mapmaker
Audi do.