Bumped by lorry - rusty_acad
Hi,

About six months ago I had a person drive into the back of my car. Still waiting to resolve this problem now, but I received some great advice on here and thought I would ask again for a new problem that I am having. In the same place as the last accident, a French 40ton lorry rolled into the back of me, and pushed me into the car in front. End result is scratches to the back and front of my car, a small crack in the car in front, and of course, no damage to the truck. I was driving a mazda mx5 at the time.

Now, I called the police, who made sure that we exchanged details and provided a translator since the truck driver couldn't speak english. The truck driver produced a form (constat d'amiable accident or something) in french which he wrote all his details on, and asked me to write mine. I did this, and then he asked me to sign it which I did. I then noticed that he had drawn a picture of three boxes, with his truck marked as A. Then, some arrows going past his lorry, and diagonally into mine. I am not sure if he is implying that I overtook him (which I didn't). I am concerned that by signing this form I have just admitted responsibility for the accident. I was stationary when he rolled into me.. hopefully the person I was pushed into will state the same, but I am concerned of this going against me because of the paper that I signed.

Any advice appreciated (other than finding a new route home!)

Bumped by lorry - Adam {P}
< Incredibly Uninformed Opinion >

I could be way, WAY off but I'm sure that I read on here that insurance companies took away your ability to admit liability. I'm not 100% sure and it may depend on the circumstances. Someone more informed will be along soon though.

Good Luck.

< /Incredibly Uninformed Opinion >
Bumped by lorry - Mystic
Sounds like you've signed a European Accident Report form (can't remember the exact name).
I believe they are intended to provide an agreed version of events between then two parties.
The picture normally just indicates whats happened, I belive concentrating on the movement of the vechicles and the point of impact.
Theres also also normally a section on the form (near to the centre) to tick what each party was doing (e.g pulling out, etc).

I guess what does sound really wierd is that you don't seem to have a copy of the form - They normally have a carbon copy portion underneath. On the back of the two pages theres an section to expain your version of events, etc. Each party normally then submits this sheet to their respective insurance company.

Hope this helps.
Bumped by lorry - Mystic
Quick google turned up a copy of this english version. (layout should be the same)

www.ericblairnet.com/useful.html

Also more info here:

normandy.angloinfo.com/countries/france/accident.a...p

Thanks for the replies. I have a copy of the form, which does have the picture on it. However, the picture can be intepreted in a number of ways, ie was I overtaking him (no), or are the arrows to represent a two lanes to one convergence (which they did about 50 metres before). I guess what I am concerned about is whether by signing this I have agreed what happened - but the picture can be intrepreted in two ways. When I signed the form I was in shock - 40ton truck pushing my car was very scary - I had to take the next day off work due to shock and stress (had to see GP etc).

In hindsight I shouldn't have signed the form, especially since I didn't understand what it was on the form. But if this goes to court, is a piece of paper in French with mine and his details, and a picture going to send the case in his favour? I hope not.

thanks again

Fantastic - the second line says "does NOT consitute an admission of liability". That's one less thing to worry about. Now I just need to stop panicing everytime someone stops behind me :(

I just bought a newer car (a Citroen C5) so hopefully I won't ignored in that :)

Thanks for all the help!
Bumped by lorry - PhilW
"a newer car (a Citroen C5) so hopefully I won't ignored in that :)"
And hopefully French truck drivers will treat it with a little more respect!!
Hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction!

--
Phil