When to call it quits on a car - davidh
Dear All,

I have a 1999 85k mile Rover 620ti - a quick well equipped car which cost 20k new. Its maybe worth £1300 (good condition)

A what point would most people call it quits on a car and sell/part ex it for a newer one? I am thinking that its cheaper to keep repairing this one than splash out 12/13k (say) on a newer equivalent that wont need the same kind of up-keep. Todays cars dont rust away like they used to so it will physically still be around for years. I've recently spent £500 on the gearbox/clutch and alternator.

Thing is, when the car breaks down expensively at this price level, it could be rendered virtually worthless if its not repaired and I wouldnt want to walk away from it and lose all its value.
When to call it quits on a car - Xileno {P}
Some would say get rid when the cost of current or imminent repairs exceeds the value of the car. In reality other issues come into play, such as what the car is worth to you. Also you might be getting bored with the car and want a change.

This must be one of the last 620ti's made, they are quite popular with people who want a discreet but quick car. I think you would get a bit more than £1300 for it.
When to call it quits on a car - Stuartli
It will cost considerably more to replace it than to continue using it for quite a while yet I would have thought.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
When to call it quits on a car - Mike H
It would be nice to have a simple formula! The same question has been running around in my mind. My thoughts revolve around depreciation.

Let's say you need to spend a grand on the old banger. If you decided to throw in the towel and spend say even £5000 on a newer car, it's quite likely that you'd lose over a grand in depreciation within the year. So you've spent £5000 on a car, plus the £1000 depreciation means that the real cost is £6000. This is £5000 more than if you'd fixed up the old banger...and of course the newer car may have had unforeseen problems & caused some big spends in the interim...

My simple brain therefore says that actually, in the long term, it's cheaper to run a car into the ground, particularly if you are able to tackle the repairs yourself...and indeed don't have the money for a worthwhile replacement.
When to call it quits on a car - cheddar
Only 7 years old, less than 100k miles, must be worth much more to you than you would ever get for it.
When to call it quits on a car - Mapmaker
>>>So you've spent £5000 on a car, plus the £1000 depreciation means that the real cost is £6000.

No no no no no! The real cost is only £5000. Trust me, I'm an accountant.

But spending £1000 on a banger is not worth it. Go out and buy a 'new' one from eBay or auction!
When to call it quits on a car - Mike H
But spending £1000 on a banger is not worth it.
Go out and buy a 'new' one from eBay or auction!

I have a Saab 9-5, good condition, but has done 156,000 miles. Runs sweet as a nut. BUT it still has the original exhaust and turbo, plus I do about 20k per annum. Cost to replace exhaust & turbo will be £1000 in round figures. Cost to replace car with a similar but perhaps newer/lower mileage model will be far, far more than that - and besides, I have only got £1000. And indeed may need the same £1000 spent on it. So it's a bit simplistic to try and decide purely on economic terms - my view is that spending £1000 on my current car is the most sensible, and indeed only, option in my case.

BTW, if anyone comes up with a convincing argument to buy a 2-3 year old 9-5 Aero that I can get past the finance committee (aka SWMBO), I'll buy them a beer!!
>>>So you've spent £5000 on a car, plus the £1000 depreciation
means that the real cost is £6000.
No no no no no! The real cost is only
£5000. Trust me, I'm an accountant.
But spending £1000 on a banger is not worth it.
Go out and buy a 'new' one from eBay or auction!

Surely the real cost is only £1000 because the residual value is £4000.

When to call it quits on a car - JH
He's an accountant, he can make the answer any number you care to choose! :-)

Just think of it as riding the lower slopes of the depreciation curve and enjoy it. A 7 year old car should still be in good nick and running well. If you're bored, swap it, but why bother trying to justify it on economic grounds?

With thanks to the floppy haired one, who demonstrated the existence of "man maths", which we all suspected existed but never quite pinned down.

JH
>>Surely the real cost is only £1000 because the residual value is £4000.

Says who?

I was building on the original analogy that was just plain wrong. I think we've confused him enough without bringing in residual values... Most people equate cashflow with cost. They spend £5000 on a car in year one and nothing for the next four years. Simple.

Most people don't understand deprecation... including I suspect you. Depreciation is there to match the economic benefits of an item with with economic cost of the item. Costs you £5000 lasts five years, it makes sense to define depreciation as £1000 per annum.

Depreciation has nothing to do with the value of the asset in the open market. (Common misconception.) Because...

If you plan to sell that car within a year and a day of buying it, your depreciation is likely to be more like 2000, which should be reflected in year one.

As a 'bangernomics' person running Omegas then I ask myself this question a lot...The way i look at it, I'm perepared to spend the equivalent of the depreciation on a 'better' car to keep this one running. So i tend to buy cars for around 1-2K and accept that I will spend between 200 & 600 quid per year keeping them going.
When to call it quits on a car - bbroomlea{P}
Also with dealer servicing its highly likely that a new car is going to cost quite a bit to keep on the road and if its out of warranty its not unheard of that big bills are around the corner - all that AND you have to pay depreciation.

Generally, the cheapest car to own is the one you have got. Even if it costs you £1000 a year in repairs its still going to be cheaper than buying something new or newish and running it for a few years.
When to call it quits on a car - Hamsafar
It's always cheaper to run the old car, that's why when you go into a poor area, you see old cars, and not new ones, however, there becomes a point where you don't like the car enough to spend any more money on it, and you'd rather put the money towards a new one. I think that this is more subjective than simple economics.
When to call it quits on a car - Ian (Cape Town)
Mmmmmmm.
Ok, economics from the Third World...
The Astra (1995, 180i auto, bought December 1999) is bought, paid for a long time ago, and still going strong.
Bodywork fine - no salt/poor weather etc to worry about, so no rust.
Gets its every-10 000km service, plus belt change plus new shocks/tyres/CVs as a matter of course.
Total cost of such work since the car was paid off = ~one eighth of the cost of the equivalent installments while I was still paying for the car.
Book value (trade-in) now is about 65-70% rand value of what I paid for it in 1999.
When to call it quits on a car - Gromit {P}
To my mind there are three factors to consider:

1) The cost of running the car (obviously) - when it starts to cost as much to keep repairing the car you have as it would to buy a newer one, its time for the old jalopy to go. So let my old Punto consider itself warned!

2) The opportunity cost of having the current car break down - it may be cheaper to put (say) a new clutch in aforementioned Punto than replace the car. But if you lose a day's income or a day's holiday each time its off the road, change at the first hint of trouble.

3) At what point does your car cease to have any value as a trade-in or private sale? The OP's Rover is still worth £1300. If there's likely to come a point where its worth much less (e.g. after a major breakdown or, say, if punters would be less keen after 100,000 miles) then maybe that's the ideal time to trade up.

So long as none of the above applies, stick with bbroomlea's sound advice: the cheapest car to own is the one you have got.
When to call it quits on a car - local yokel
You've also got to price in the cost of the capital to purchase a new car, and that cost is the highest rate of interest you are paying. If you have to up the borrowing on the plastic, because you've shelled out 5,000 on a car, then that capital could be costing you 20% or more - another 1,000 a year. If you've plenty of cash in the bank, then it's costing you 3% or so, as that's all you are getting after tax.

Look at a three-year view:

Banger - 1,000, + 500 pa repairs/service, cost 2,500 - value at end 500, total cost 2,000.

Newer car - 5,000 + 250 pa servicing, cost 5,750, value at end £2250, total cost £2,750 + cost of the additional 4,000 over three years, at 3%, 360, at 10%, 1,200, at 20%, 2,400.
When to call it quits on a car - daveyjp
The only real banger I owned was a then 15 year old Mk1 Fiesta. In 18 months it had replaced - front brakes, tyres, clutch, exhaust, engine mountings and the CHG was on the way out before it failed it's MOT and was scrapped.

None of these jobs were expensive, but the inconvenience of having a car which constantly needed attention, having no car when I needed one and having to take days off when it did break down got to me in the end!

Newer cars are expensive, but you do buy a large peace of mind that the chances of it letting you down are remote.
When to call it quits on a car - tunacat
I have an aquaintance whose name is I. T. Quitson,
I think I called him a taxi once.
Incredible, isn't it?!
When to call it quits on a car - Xileno {P}
Groan!
When to call it quits on a car - Group B
Davidh has said he thinks its only worth £1300 and were all calling it a banger/jalopy! IMO 7 years old is not old, and 85k miles is not a high mileage, there are 3y.o. cars with more than that on them.
I would keep it and get your moneys worth out of the £500 you've recently spent on it. If its reliable, I would only get rid if you're bored of it.

You could buy a newer 2nd hand car for £12k, and still have a breakdown with a £1000 bill a month after the warranty runs out. And think of all that money down the drain as depreciation.
Davidh has said he thinks its only worth £1300 and were
all calling it a banger/jalopy! IMO 7 years old is
not old, and 85k miles is not a high mileage, there
are 3y.o. cars with more than that on them.
I would keep it and get your moneys worth out of
the £500 you've recently spent on it. If its reliable,
I would only get rid if you're bored of it.
You could buy a newer 2nd hand car for £12k, and
still have a breakdown with a £1000 bill a month after
the warranty runs out. And think of all that money
down the drain as depreciation.

Agree 100%
When to call it quits on a car - trancer
With a few exceptions everyone seems to harp on about finances and cost to own and depreciation etc. What about changing your car because you see another that you like more than the one you have?. What about buying a car because of how it makes you feel when driving it?.

Don't any of you actually enjoy motoring? Or is it an unpleasantry that you put up with out of necessity and therefore stress about every pound that you are forced to part with?.

What else in your daily lives do you apply this principle to?. Do you scrounge around used appliance shops for that £50 fridge freezer that you can squeeze another year or two out of?. If not, do you buy a new one and then fret about how much less it will be worth once you take it out of the box?.

Some people may not have the option of choosing the car they want and have to buy soley on price. I am not putting them down in any way as I have been there myself, but I get the impression that many of you could afford to drive much better cars than you currently do, but don't and I can only imagine its because you don't like cars...or motoring. How very odd that you would then visit and post on a motoring forum.

When to call it quits on a car - tunacat
I guess it's all a question of scale: A fridge freezer only costs a few hundred pounds whereas davidh's car new, or its new equivalent, would be nearer 20 thousand.

If he bought his car last year he might have got the same feeling from driving it as the chap did who bought it new and paid all that more money for it!

By the same token, we could say "trancer! stop messing about and get that Pagani Zonda bought!"

;-)
When to call it quits on a car - Stuartli
Cars are normally the second most expensive purchase in people's lives, therefore you have to look at the broader picture of just how much one costs to run and maintain annually.

But some people do amaze me. I read a newspaper letter the other day when a 4x4 owner was stating that she would have to give the car up after the latest financial blow to her pocket.

The reason? The road tax had been raised to £215.

A somewhat bizarre reaction to an additional cost of less than £1 a week.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
When to call it quits on a car - Group B
With a few exceptions everyone seems to harp on about finances
and cost to own and depreciation etc. What about changing
your car because you see another that you like more than
the one you have?. What about buying a car because
of how it makes you feel when driving it?.

Fully agree with some of what you say trancer, but to be fair, davidh's original post seemed to ask for opinions from a financial point of view, so most people have looked at it from a financial point of view in their replies.

When to call it quits on a car - mrmender
With a few exceptions everyone seems to harp on about finances
and cost to own and depreciation etc. What about changing
your car because you see another that you like more than
the one you have?. What about buying a car because
of how it makes you feel when driving it?.
Don't any of you actually enjoy motoring? Or is
it an unpleasantry that you put up with out of necessity
and therefore stress about every pound that you are forced to
part with?.

Yes this is me down to a tee, I've always earned good money but "wasted" most of it on cars over the years, they have all brought me pleasure in one form or another... The old saying life's too short etc goes here i think
Point of note here off thread, my uncle died 2 years ago very suddenly, my aunt has been left shall we say very comfortable she went to see her bank manager who brought up the subject of inheritance tax. Her reply was don't worry i'm going to spend the lot! That would be only on cars
>>With a few exceptions everyone seems to harp on about finances and cost to own and depreciation etc. What about changing your car because you see another that you like more than the one you have?. What about buying a car because of how it makes you feel when driving it?.

>>Don't any of you actually enjoy motoring?

I don't think that's the point. I don't need to throw money away on an expensive car as a status symbol or extension of my manhood. I have much better things to spend my money on. Better claret. Things that don't depreciate... Regency dining chairs, pictures.

I am quite happy to pootle about in an elderlyish car. I don't have to worry about people keying my car, about people slashing my soft top. If I get an expensive repair bill I can put the car on eBay and not lose much.

So why does somebody who is not car obsessed come to this website? For help on Technical matters. Because they do enjoy(ish) driving... carefully, sensibly, economically. They are interested in car mechanicals, discussing Optimax, learning about the new Baldock bypass. Chossing their next car economically, sensibly. Getting rid of their previous car economically, sensibly.
When to call it quits on a car - Roberson
Agree 100%

Again, I agree.

I'm now very glad I read this thread as I was starting to think that I had gone slightly mad. Its not the first time it?s been said to me that when I've graduated (and get a decent job) I should think about getting a new or newer car to replace my ageing Polo. No matter how hard I try, no one seems to understand that I?m currently happy with the car I?ve got and I don't want to change. At this point the same people will go on to say pretty much what is mentioned above, that it'll probably need some major repairs at some point which will be more than its worth (£500, at the most).

But, parts are cheap and it's simple to repair, so even major mechanical disasters could probably be sorted for considerably less than £500. Apart from the financial and economic factors outlined elsewhere in this thread, a new car isn't a guarantee against breakdowns and reliability niggles but could lessen the risk.

If you're happy with it, stick with it.

When to call it quits on a car - Civic8
>>Thing is, when the car breaks down expensively at this price level, it could be rendered virtually worthless if its not repaired and I wouldnt want to walk away from it and lose all its value.

really depends on how much you like the car,IMO 50% of cars value spent on parts is on verge of scrapping,as once paid out for it doesnt increase the value *its money lost*But at the same time if you dont spend on it its scrap anyway.

which is the time I would scrap or sell as spares/repair,as I always have done
--
Steve
When to call it quits on a car - googolplex
Ultimately, any car is worth keeping going whilst it is not costing you much to maintain and provided it does everything you need it to do. I went through the pain barrier with my old Cavalier (replacing just about everything) and then it went on for a another four or five years just basic servicing. In the end I felt really impulsive in swapping it at 170K for a brand new Mondeo TDCi, but did so because I wanted the luxury of air con during a holiday in South France (plus I wasn't sure how the old car might react to such a long journey - didn't want to be left high and dry).
Splodgeface
When to call it quits on a car - Mondaywoe
In recent years I've been coming round to the idea of keeping a car for a long time until depreciation is irrelevant - paying for repairs almost regardless of cost, safe in the knowledge that even expensive repairs are negligible compared to replacement costs. In many cases I have done my own repairs so that helps too.

HOWEVER....home repairs are becoming increasingly impossible for modern cars and manufacturers seem to be replacing models more often - with support and spares for even comparatively young motors disappearing without trace.

What spares are available are also hiked up to silly prices (eg a replacement diesel pump for my C5 would probably set me back £2000. Very few people will pay these prices so the spares won't sell, so they'll be withdrawn from the market - end of story. The result is that even if you are determined to repair a car 'regardless of cost' that might still not be an option.

Another factor is the apparent desire of the government to remove older cars from the road - by making the cost of road tax and MOTs prohibitively high for older cars.

To my mind, cars are becoming 'throw away' commodities like white goods and consumer electronics. Not only are we killing the planet with the bits we leave behind, but we're also destroying people's sense of value and self restraint.

Let our motto be 'Per ardua ad astra' (You gotta work hard to afford a Vauxhall......) ;-)

Graeme
When to call it quits on a car - JamesH
I think it's almost impossible to find exactly the right time to call it quits on a car.

If a car is in need of big repairs, you either have to get it fixed yourself or take a hit on the sale price, so lose either way. But then once you have just spent the money on the repair, that part is a lot less likely to need fixing in the near future so you feel like carrying on.

So the trick is to sell just before you can tell the repairs are needed, for which you need a sixth sense!

Another factor is the apparent desire of the government to remove
older cars from the road - by making the cost of
road tax and MOTs prohibitively high for older cars.

How is this the case? Road tax wasn't split by emissions before 2001 but the £110/£175 isn't that dissimilar to newer cars, and MOTs are the same price to all cars that need it.

The cost of meeting the MOT may be prohibitively high but that's down to the demands of the repair industry and not the government.
When to call it quits on a car - Imagos
>>>So you've spent £5000 on a car, plus the £1000 depreciation
means that the real cost is £6000.
No no no no no! The real cost is only
£5000. Trust me, I'm an accountant.

My view is if you spend £5k then you'll need another £5k to replace that original £5k so in reality you've really spent £10k.

..i think...
When to call it quits on a car - local yokel
>My view is if you spend £5k then you'll need another £5k to replace that original £5k so in reality you've really spent £10k.

..i think...

Thats' a very odd way of looking at it! You've taken £5k from the bank account, and bought a car. The car has (for about a nanosecond) an asset value of £5k, so you still have the 5k, but it's car-shaped. The problem comes when you try to realise the value of the asset - you'll take a loss, called a write-down. The asset depreciates continuously, so at the end of yr 1 it's worth say 80% of the purchase price etc. Hence the first year cost of ownership is the write-down amount, plus the interest on the 5k that you are paying (if on a loan) or would have received (if you had the 5k on deposit).
When to call it quits on a car - JH
No wonder I keep reading that people don't understand interest rates and can't relate spending on plastic to spending money. And there are plenty of unscrupulous people ready to play on that ignorance and part people from their hard earned.
JH
When to call it quits on a car - Cliff Pope
The observation that poor people buy old cars not new ones seems to me to be the real economic clincher. They must know something that richer people haven't spotted!

But all these arguments really turn on what you like, or dislike, about your cars. People who like older cars find arguments to justify keeping them, and those who like new ones find equally convincing (for them) reasons for buying new.

I like having an old car, and keeping it going by servicing and repairing it myself. That's just me - I can't bear to throw out things that I could repair. If I won a new car I'd promptly sell it and buy something I really wanted - possibly a ten-year supply of Volvo 240s for spares, or a lifetime's supply of claret.

But I accept that other people like the feel of having a newish car, just as some like the feel of wearing smart new clothes, or gold cuff links. I'm happy with old clothes from Oxfam. But they're not very reliable - the laces have just broken again.
When to call it quits on a car - chakaping
> So the trick is to sell just before you can tell the repairs
> are needed, for which you need a sixth sense!

A couple of times I've decided to sell my cars because I've had an inkling that something's going to come a cropper with them.

Whether any problems did emerge, I can't verify, but I reckon it makes sense to sell when you've had a year or two without having to fork for any major repairs.
When to call it quits on a car - Mondaywoe
Another factor is the apparent desire of the government to remove
older cars from the road - by making the cost of
road tax and MOTs prohibitively high for older cars.

What set me thinking about this is the case of my elderly Mum. She is 79 and owns a 1994 diesel Clio- 45,000 miles on the clock and very tidy.

She probably won't ever buy another car again, but that doesn't make this one any less valuable to her in terms of mobility and independence. For her, the 'cost of motoring' is purely MOTS, repairs / servicing, road tax and insurance. (I think she fills up with diesel about 2-3 times a year!!)Depreciation is neither here nor there and I suspect this might be true for many people motoring on a tight budget.

Now she finds that her road tax costs more than my C5 2.2 diesel (with particle filter) - yet at 1000 miles a year the pollution she causes is insignificant compared to 15,000 miles a year in my C5! Yes I know the difference in road tax is small in the grand scheme of things for owners of 'nearly new' cars - but it's appreciable for motorists on a budget.

Although the MOT fee is the same as for my C5 the chances of the Clio needing repairs and a possible re-test (now at full fee again?????) are much higher. Like most people in this situation she finds the MOT time the 'biggie' expense of the year because realistically older cars = low mileage cars = once a year servicing = servicing / repair to coincide with MOT. So a £40 MOT is practically unheard of - it's much more of a compulory £100s spending exercise! After all, you could theoretically buy a new car and not spend a penny on maintenance for 3 years if you felt like it! (daft, certainly, but there's no onus on you to spend) Drivers of older cars don't have this option (No, I'm not suggesting they should!)but again it represents a big chunk of overall (budget) running costs.

MOTs have become much more stringent in recent years and with garages having to spend big money to get equipped for the new computerised MOTs, guess who is going to have to foot the bill in the shape of higher fail rates? In fact many smaller MOT stations are being driven out of business by these new regulations so the only remaining option will be big operators with high overheads.....the last thing drivers of older cars need. And with 'big brother' watching, testers will be less willing to use their 'discretion' and pass older cars with borderline defects.

Graeme
When to call it quits on a car - Andrew-T
"To my mind, cars are becoming 'throw away' commodities like white goods and consumer electronics. Not only are we killing the planet with the bits we leave behind, but we're also destroying people's sense of value and self restraint"

Agree 100% with your post, C5. What we have to do is bridge the gap between the car's parts becoming obsolete, and the model becoming a classic and spawning an owners' club.
When to call it quits on a car - barney100
I reckon a lot of folks throw in the towel too early. Ok if you really want a newer model and are willing to pay out but the cycle of buying-depreciation-repairing goes on. Most cars today will last and last if looked after properly but I too go through the same agoies as the poster of this question.
When to call it quits on a car - piggy
Barney100 is spot on,most poeple do throw in the towel too early.Having owned several cars over many years I am convinced that what really kills cars is RUST.However,this is not the problem it used to be,and my current Italian beauty is now six years old, and thus far not showing any sign of the dreaded tin worm.(touch metal)
A lot of parts used are shared across several models and makes and a cheaper spare can often be obtained by searching around.
When to call it quits on a car - barney100
First car I ever pwned was a Viva HB. The engine blew and I exchange it for a Victor. Low and behold nearly a quarter of a century later I saw the girl swanning round Dorset looking better tham when I had her.
When to call it quits on a car - Statistical outlier
I can't believe that there's any universal right or wrong way to decide when the car has got past its best. I had a Peugeot 405, and it was an absolute cash sink. It drank like a fish, parts of it kept failing or falling off, and I could never rely on it to work when I needed it to. Having spent about 2 1/2 thousand pounds repairing it, I changed it for a nearly new Saxo (I know, but at the time they weren't as chav as they are now and the safety figures hadn't been released). I only got £600 for the Peugeot, and the Citroen cost me nearly £5000. The difference was, instead of having huge and unpredictable repair bills coming up when I couldn't predict them, I instead had a repayment of a couple of hundred pounds a month, which I could budget for, and I had a car that I knew would start every time. Without fail.

I kept the Saxo from 13k to 92k, and had nothing except routine servicing and consumables. I got rid of it at the first sign of trouble. It just isn't worth it for me to have to worry about whether a car is going to work or not. I have almost no time at the weekend anyway, and I haven't got the time or the leave to be always taking the car to the garage. Does this strategy cost me more? Probably, but I also have a car I can rely on, and I know when and how much it will cost me, and to me that makes the difference.

I'm now doing 35k a year, and I've actually leased a new car. At this mileage, the car becomes a disposable item over 4 or 5 years (and with the zero unplanned maintenance requirement), so I've just gone for lowest monthly outlay on an appropriate car. Again, I could have saved money by going second hand, but would have had to have the time to buy and sell cars more frequently, which frankly I don't have.

Just my point of view, and I fully appreciate other people have different priorities. That's why I'm not convinced that there is an answer to this question.

Gord
When to call it quits on a car - Statistical outlier
"huge and unpredictable repair bills coming up when I couldn't predict them"

Oh for an edit button.