Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - girlydriver
As per the subject, really. My 18mth old Almera's suddenly started to flash the brake fluid / handbrake on light when I'm going around corners. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's left or right turns.

I've checked the brake fluid level - there's plenty in there (the car was serviced no more than 2mths ago so I would hope that there would be), so I've discounted low fluid levels.

The only two things I can narrow it down to are:
1) sensor on brake fluid moved, so that when the car is tilted as corners are taken, the fluid moves away and activates the sensor.
2) handbrake seems to have a bit of play in when down, although when taking a corner I gripped the handbrake to see if I could move it to stop the light - and it didn't seem to work.

I've tried a emergency stop to see if that illuminated it - nothing whatsoever.

Any thoughts?? The problem I have now is that I don't want to use my local dealer (two rather bad experiences with them trying to rip me off has put paid to my business with them), and the next one's 45mins away in another town..

Thanks in advance.
Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - pyruse
Could it be warning that the pads are getting low?
What mileage has the car done?
Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - Altea Ego
Assuming

the pads are ok (last checked at service?)
the fluid is ok
It happens when you go round bends (turn steering)

Then I would say its probably the wire/connector from the brake pad to the warning light system. Shorting out maybe?

It could also be

New pads required.
New switch in Fluid reservoir required.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - RichardW
Seems it's most likely low fluid level - unless you are absolutely sure you are looking at the correct thing in the correct way, I'd get the level cross checked. It's possible the switch has gone wonky, but seems unlikely. Normally the pad wear light is different to the low fluid level one.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - girlydriver
Thanks for your thoughts.

I drove it back earlier - seems worse on left hand bends.

It could be the pads, I guess. I forgot to mention in the original post that the car's done 20k.

At the last service, they warned me about rear discs and pads needing replacement, got them checked at a (reputable to locals) independent garage who gave me a year on the rear pads and longer on the discs. Could it be due to that?

Don't think that this Almera's got anything fancy enough to warn me of low pads as a separate light..

Also cross-checking the brake fluid level with another eye tonight - I'll get good ol' Dad in on the situation. If it's discs/pads on the rear, then so be it. Fronts were fine, strangely
(I always assumed that rear pads/discs took longer to go than fronts)
Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - Dynamic Dave
If it's discs/pads on the rear, then so be it.

I could be wrong, but it's uncommon to have wear sensors on rear brakes. Normally if they're fitted, then they'll be on the fronts only.
Almera N16(2004) Handbrake Warning Light - A Dent{P}
Hi,
There are no wear sensors on the front or rear pad of the Almera.
I've just replaced the rear discs and pads on mine (00/W) at 54K, the pads were shot and the disc tapered where they were not sitting parallel to the disc. Your car seems too young for this though. Note the discs will be stuck on, and there are two M10x1.25 PITCH threaded holes (standard bolt pitch is 1.5mm) in the disc that allow easy removal. Sadly the front discs dont have them as well.
Can't help with the handbrake though.