VW DSG - Rudedog
This is a question to all the BR?s who have a VW Diesel with the DSG gearbox.

I have a 2.0 GT TDI DSG on order for delivery in May (hopefully), the only thing I found strange about the gearbox was the ?T? handle gear stick. On the GTi or R32 the DSG has a nice rounded gear knob with the trigger at the front, the showroom couldn?t tell me why they should be different. I even contacted VW UK to see if the ?T? handle could be replaced by the one on the GTi, but apparently they are not interchangeable.

How do drivers get on with the type of handle used on the Diesel?
VW DSG - daveyjp
Audi has the button on the side - no problem using it, just press it in to select the desired gear, no need to press to move from D to N or D to S (or vice versa). Are steering wheel paddles standard on the VW? If not I would definately have them as an option. I have never mastered changing manually using the gearstick - the changes happen very quickly so you need to have one hand almost permanently on the stick to make progress. With no paddles I would probably never use manual mode, which on the twisty stuff is a necessity.
VW DSG - Rudedog
I didn't take the paddles as they are a £375 option on the GT, I just thought the gear stick of the GTi/R32 looked and felt much more usable than having the button at the side, and it seemed strange that the two aren't interchangable, especially as the GT is supposed to be the 'sporty' Golf Diesel.
VW DSG - colinh
The selector level lock ("the button") is only used to select the driving mode initially, i.e., D, S, R, from P or N. The manual states "..only works if the car is stationary or up to 5kph". From there on the button is not used, even in manual mode. By the way, to be pedantic, it's more of a "V" shape than a "T" gearchange.