Tyres/MOT - bikemade3
The front continentals on our 2.0DTI Zafira are shot at 15K. It came shod with V rated 205/55/16, if i was to replace these with T or H rated tyres would it cause problems at MOT time having V rated tyres on the rear and lower rated on the front. Quoted top speed is 109MPH, therefore T rated tyres will suffice.

Not impressed with the wear rate of these tyres, it's the Mrs car and gets used for the schoolrun/Tesco majority of the time. To wear them out in 15K is horrific.
Tyres/MOT - Number_Cruncher
>>would it cause problems at MOT...

No, it's fine for the MOT, but are your insurers happy with it?

Number_Cruncher
Tyres/MOT - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just changed front tyres on a 1.6 diesel 307 at 20K miles - fitter said I had done well to get more than 15K but I don't drive at all hard. I think the front wear, on my car and your Zafira, may be down to the high weight of a diesel engine at the front of the car and of course the front wheels drive, steer and brake. The back wheels really just keep the rear of the car from scraping on the ground and don't have to work that hard.
Tyres/MOT - Xileno {P}
My 89V rated Continentals were down to 2.0mm on the front by 17K. Backs are on 4.0mm.

My next car will have standard wheels, I'm used to getting 30K out of a set.
Tyres/MOT - daveyjp
My Audi has the same size and speed rating, but is fitted with Michelins. 17,500 miles covered and still 4.5 mm left on the fronts - could changing to Michelins be a wiser move than changing ratings?
Tyres/MOT - adverse camber
Also remember that new when replacing only two tyres the new ones should go on the REAR wheels.
Tyres/MOT - turbo11
The 205/55/VR16 Bridgestones on my Petrol Mazda 6,have done 25000 miles so far and still have 6mm of tread.90% of my driving is motorway and dual carriageway.Expect your tyres are as you stated being knackered by a combination of local runs,vehicle weight/set up etc.
Tyres/MOT - Red Baron
I too have this size tyre (Bridgestone RE720) on my Mondeo TDCi. They have lasted now for 25000 miles and are due for a change at 2.5mm. Most of the driving is multi-lane roads or country roads. My guess is that driving with plenty of steering input and accelerating/brakeing on short town runs is what kills the tyre life.
Tyres/MOT - Ian (Cape Town)
"My guess is that driving with plenty of steering input and accelerating/brakeing on short town runs is what kills the tyre life."

My old BMW had contis on it, and I got nearly 80 000ks before I was down to 1.2mm (Our legal limit is 1.0).
I recall the insurance bloke commenting on this, and saying that daily use over a distance, as opposed to short runs, made a helluva difference.
Alos, obviously, regular balancing and alignment assist - especially as I read HJ's comments on the probelms caused by speed bumps, mini-roundabouts etc in your neck of the woods.
I'm also sure that tyres will have different wear patterns in cold/hot climates.
Tyres/MOT - Number_Cruncher
>>plenty of steering input ...

This is definitely true. As soon as your steering wheel is turned away from straight ahead, the front tyres don't track true. The further away from straight ahead, the worse is the error, and hence, so the wear.

Yes!, even cars with so-called Ackermann steering will scrub their tyres on corners - because the Ackermann geometry, as given in countless introductory/craft level automotive text books isn't quite right. Until you do the sums, it seems so plausible too!

Number_Cruncher
Tyres/MOT - Happy Blue!
Our diesel Trajet is in for service today and I checked the tyres. 19,000 miles of mainly suburban driving with bumps, pot holes and mini roundabouts. Tyres will only last another 4,000 miles at most.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Tyres/MOT - Marc
See what your handbook advises for your engine and wheel size. It may be that the factory only fitted V rated because that is what they had available at the time. As long as the handbook says it's OK to use a lower rating there's no need to involve insurance IMO.

On the 01Y Mondeo I used to own, it wore down the OEM front Conti Premium Contacts in 13k, rears lasted about 25k. Not impressed at all. Replaced all with Contisport which lasted much longer.
Tyres/MOT - bikemade3
That's what i think happened, being a "Energy" model it came with 205/55 on 16 inch alloys. Very much doubt that Vauxhall would bulk buy H/T rated tyres in this size if they had a shed full of V rated ones available.
Tyres/MOT - bikemade3
Much add, that the biggest concern is the mixing of speed ratings, don,t want to spend £65 a corner only to find mixing of ratings is a MOT failure point.