Octavia - wjh
Thinking about the new Octavia Estate.
We really should have some sort of automatic,
so bearing in mind that the 2.0TDI is a bit on the expensive side, would the best bet be the 1.6FSI Tiptronic or the 1.9TDI DSG? We've done the sums and it appears that it'll take quite a few years to recoup the difference as regards fuel consumption goes (15,000 miles p.a)

Anyone have any experience of either of these engines, or the car?

Many thanks.
Octavia - Stuartli
I only have experience of the previous version but the Octavia is certainly the choice amongst the bulk of our local taxi drivers (and there are a lot of taxis operating in my town).

There's probably nothing harder on a car than taxi use for revealing problems or weak areas, but every taxi driver I've spoken to about their particular Octavia rates it highly.

One raised the stakes slightly by deciding on a Skoda Superb whilst the Passat version is the choice of another driver.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Octavia - mare
i had an old model 1.9 TDI for four years. It was a really good car, felt quite solid, but did have a couple of niggles.

Cambelt tensioner failed at 117,000 miles. It hadn't been changed at 60,000. Make sure the tensioner is changed with the cam belt if you get that far.

I have no experience of the 1.6FSI, but i wonder if the engine will struggle to pull the car around? My TDI had a lot of punch until it started playing up.

Suggest you do a forum search on here for "DSG" to get other people's experiences of this relatively new technology.

HTH
Octavia - daveyjp
I have the DSG on the 2.0 TDi in an Audi - never driven it with the 1.9, but I'd recommend it. I'm not aware of any inherent problems with the DSG system and its been around a good few years now.
Octavia - wjh
do you think the 1.6fsi tiptronic estate would feel underpowered? also i have read that thins engine needs 'good'unleaded to get the best mpg. how much would it get with ordinary stuff?
Octavia - blue_haddock
The FSi basically needs to run on super unleaded, by running on normal unleaded it will be down on power and economy and quite possibly damage the engine.
Octavia - daveyjp
I test drove the Audi A2 1.6 FSi when it was first released and to be honest it was a real dog. It felt very underpowered, so adding another 50% in vehicle weight (plus potential for much more load lugging ) and an auto box and I can't see it setting any land speed records.

You need to get behind the wheel of both options. If the Skoda dealer is struggling with demo models of your chosen combination try VW or Seat dealers as the engine gearbox combinations are available on plenty of other VAG cars.
Octavia - wjh
Really damage the engine? I have read on the Audi website that they run quite happily on 95RON petrol at a good level of efficiency. I've heard that the 1.9TDI isnt so good with the DSG, and thats why i'd be aprehensive about it. The 2.0 is probably a little pricey.