VAG brake disks/pads - andymc {P}
Had the car down for a service recently and the mechanic advised me that the disks as well as the pads needed changing quite soon. Disk looks ok to me, I thought, but he told me the wear is on the inside only. Funny, but alright then. Job completed, he showed me the old disks - the outside was fine, hardly a blemish at all. The inside was covered in clag, with a band of clear metal about 1cm wide forming a circle all around, about half way between the centre and the rim. He said the calipers seemed to have been set up wrong from the start, in that the pads were only gripping a small part of the disk on the inside. He also said he'd seen this on a couple of Boras and a Golf MK4. Just thought I'd share this with other owners of cars built on that platform which might have common brake components.
As an aside, I'm starting to wonder if this may explain the gradual reduction in fuel economy in recent months - took a 50-mile A&B-road trip yesterday which the OBC measured at 51 mpg, as opposed to 45 mpg for the same trip the previous week. Probably too early to say but I don't think I drove any more carefully last night in comparison to the last time.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
VAG brake disks/pads - 547HEW
Andy,

My discs displayed same symptoms when changed, following MoT brake imbalance failure, at 115,000 mls. Pads had 8mm of material left, i.e. hardly worn. Discs/pads were OE, and I have owned vehicle from new. I concluded that I wasnt using the brakes hard enough. (My journey/driving style makes very little use of the brakes.

So, I replced them with parts from GSF, in case it was a supplier quality issue (unlikely).

I now give the brakes a hard application from time to time. We'll see if this lengthens the life of them!

Its a Golf Mk IV
VAG brake disks/pads - aahbarnes
This is usually caused by the caliper seizing on it's locating pins, meaning that the inside pad will exert a low effort.

Maybe you should check this?