Volvo ETM - Sigma
Advice required. I'm currently looking for a quick discrete and comfortable coupe. Until recently I had been looking at volvo C70s (T5 and 2.4T)s for sub£7K. However, recent internet investigations have highlighted the problem of the electronic throttle module on volvo petrol cars from week 20 of 1999 to 2002. The electronic throttle module costs around £650-700 to fix and recon units are problematic because of software issues. Data from the states suggests that the units are 94% likely to fail before 100K and that the replacements have not been modified and are likely to fail again. A car I test drove last week had all the symptoms of ETM failure- prone to stalling and variable idle speed (although I realise these symptoms could arise from other issues). Volvo have not issued a recall in the UK as they suggest that it is not a safety issue as the engine check light lights up when there is a problem.

1. Is the ETM really such a problem that it should radically influence my choice of car? I really won't be happy to fork out £700 repeatedly on a car.
2. I am currently thinking of a honda prelude 2.2 VTi or perhaps a Beemer 325i, are there any significant issues with these further than the CBC breakdown?

Sigma
Volvo ETM - TheOilBurner
As for question 1, I sold my 2001 V70 specifically because of the ETM problem. I consider it a safety issue, even if Volvo don't.
FWIW, that C70 you tested sounded exactly like early stages of ETM failure - my car was starting to do the same before I traded it in.

Volvo are highly unlikely to issue a re-call. Even if they do, you'll just get another defective unit fitted. Some people at the Volvo owners club have had multiple failures, some after as little as 1500 miles from the previous replacement.
There's also a first hand account on that website of someone who suffered a nasty accident, almost certainly because of the ETM failure occuring whilst overtaking.

If I were you, pick another car. Even if it has known faults, they may be curable, unlike the Volvo issue. As the newest cars with this problem are now 4 years old, it's very unlikely Volvo will issue a re-designed part - they show no inclination to do so.

'Tis a sad state of affairs.
Volvo ETM - tilda99
I have a w reg, 2000, V70. ETM failed last October. Replaced for £580. I complained to the supplying Volvo dealer as it was 55,000 miles with Volvo history. Dealer came back with offer of 20% 'contribution' - turned out to be 10% from Volvo and 10% from dealer. I then researched this on the web and 'discovered' the whole issue. The whole problem was denied by the dealer - but as a result, I may well try to get rid of the car sooner rather than later. Trouble is, I find it really comfortable and suits me down to the ground..... Shame.