Overfull oil? - Tim Allcott
How overfull with oil does an engine have to be before it damages the 'cat'? I topped up the 1.8 'R' plate Passat at the weekend, and it's now showing about 1/4 inch (0.5cm) over full on the dipstick, and the 'oil' service indicator is now showing on starting the engine. I remember from reading the manual (!) that it's possible to turn this indicator off, and according to normal service intervals it's not due a service for a while. Any thoughts anyone?
Re: Overfull oil? - Bert
Its more likely to damage the oil seals in the engine rather than the cat. IT can result in over pressuring the oil in the engine which will result in the seals not being able to seal and oil leaks are the result.

One of the more technical chaps (or chappesses) will no doubt respond with a better description.

Jonathan
VW Service indicator - AndyS
If it is the same as my R plate Polo, (where the service indicator displays "oil" or "inspection" on the odometer display) you depress the trip counter reset button and turn on the ignition to position 2, keeping the trip counter reset button depressed for at least 3 seconds. I think.

Hope this makes sense and I got it right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I missed something.

You mention that your car is not due for a service for some time according to normal service intervals. I would be very interested to hear of other VW owners' experiences with the service indicators. Mine seems to display "oil" and "inspection" at random intervals independent on servicing, including when those services are carried out by the dealer.

Regards,
Andy
Re: VW Service indicator - Tim Allcott
It's the first time I've seen a service indicator show up ; it might be entirely coincidental, I wasn't sure. Anyone know what works them? is it on the same principle as on BMWs?
Re: VW Service indicator - Nick Ireland
I think that they count the number of cold starts, various water and oil temperatures and distance. Once you have started the engine from cold and driven 20 Miles another 200 won't have much more effect.
Re: Overfull oil? - Bono Estente
I'm sure you don't have to worry about a 1/4 inch overfill, Tim. Topping up is hardly a precise procedure, and there is some latitude designed in.
Re: Overfull oil? - Bono Estente
The word 'some' should be in italics. Don't get carried away next time or you'll have to drain the oil back out - into an empty 5ltr oil can with a hatch carefully cut in the side if for re-use.