Renault Kangoo - Lud
My Rav4 owning friend has become tired of it for one reason and another. She likes vans and is thinking of ordering a Renault Kangoo, 1.6 petrol auto with a/c, which she thinks will cost about £15k.

Sounds a lot to me for a smallish ven. I thought the most powerful diesel variant would probably be better, but apparently it isn't available with auto (essential for this person).

Does anyone know anything about the model, and whether any discounts would be available anywhere? And have I gathered from the execration heaped by most people on the Laguna that Renault autoboxes are no good?
Renault Kangoo - machika
Far too much money for one thing. Where did she get that price from? It should be available for well under £11K. Would not a hatchback or estate suffice?
Renault Kangoo - Lud
Likes vans, can sleep securely inside one and carry stuff about. Has to be automatic because of some sort of rheumatic shoulder thing.

Is the £11k with a/c and autobox? I thought her estimate sounded high. I think she got it from a Renault brochure.
Renault Kangoo - machika
Aircon would make it another £500 but it would still be well under her estimate. Surely, a Kangoo is no more secure than any other car and has no more space than many estates? There are lots of estates available with autoboxes, for less than her £15K estimate.
Renault Kangoo - BobbyG
Just to clarify, I take it she is looking at the actual van version as opposed to the 5 door car version?
Renault Kangoo - Lud
Yes, the van. Bit paranoid, likes to shut herself away sometimes.
Renault Kangoo - Lud
And to clarify further for machika, she wants a short compact car as well as one with a load space long enough for her to sleep on in comfort. Most estates she denounces as 'too big' or 'too long', hence the present Rav4. Van fills the bill.
Renault Kangoo - DavidHM
£15k is a crazy, crazy price, sorry.

I've no idea who these people are, so caution is advised (but it's hard to find this spec through a broker) but www.gearsticks.co.uk have the SL16P Auto 95+ for £7,199 + VAT, so probably about £9,200 including air con, a CD player, metallic paint and VAT.

Electric windows and mirrors, ABS and remote central locking are standard.
Renault Kangoo - mrmender
Hi Lud Im opinion the The Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot partner is a much nicer drive & seems a bit better built too
Don't know much about prices or auto etc but won't be wide of the mark
Nearly bought one about 4 years ago test drove both had a Kangoo for a day on test & borrowed a friends Berlingo for a weekend. The berlingo was only the 1.9d base model but did not seem as low rent as Kangoo
Renault Kangoo - Xileno {P}
Have a look at similar vans, there are lots in this sector.
My understanding of Renault automatics is that they were a bit troublesome prior to 2000 but I've not heard of many problems since. However, generally an automatic of any make is more prone to problems and much more costly to fix than a manual.
Renault Kangoo - Lud
Thanks everyone for informative replies. I will pass all this on to my friend who is quite shrewd and wouldn't like to be taken for a ride.
Renault Kangoo - daveyjp
Some friends who started a courier business also needed a small automatic van - only choice a couple of years ago was the Kangoo. It's done well over 100,000 miles and running well.