Electronic interferance - J1mbo
Exactly which band are you talking about?
Electronic interferance - Mutton Geoff
HJ

Remote keyfobs use the radio frequency range 433.72-434.12 and it is within a band allocated to other users (see the website at www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_...e for table of who uses what frequency.

Even though the bands may be shared, I doubt a blast of radio carrier wave from an amateur radio ham or other user would shut down a vehicle. The keyfobs actually transmit a code to the car so that many keys can use the same frequency (otherwise pressing your fob would beep 100 other cars in the car park). I wouldn't imagine that overloading the car receiver would cause it to shut down then restart, excess power may permanently damage a receiver but I can't see how it would trigger the immobiliser system.

Frequency Allocation -
420.0-450.0 MHz
FIXED
MOBILE
RADIOLOCATION
LAND MOBILE
Amateur-Satellite
Amateur
Government.
TETRA PAMR services (base transmit) to share 420.0-425.0 MHz with Government services. This is to be reviewed.
ETS 300-392 (parts 1 & 2), 300-392-10, 300-393-10 and 300-394-1 apply.
PBR operates within the ranges 425.00625-427.75625 MHz, 428.01875-428.99375 MHz, 431.0-432.0 MHz, 440.00625-442.25625 MHz, 442.51875-443.49375 MHz, 445.50625-446.40625 MHz and 447.51875-449.49375 MHz.
Specifications MPT 1303 and MPT 1326 apply. Specifications ETS 300 086, I-ETS 300 113 and I-ETS 300 219 also apply. It should be noted that certain frequencies within these bands are unavailable to PBR and use of almost all channels is restricted to major conurbations. A few frequencies outside of the ranges quoted have been made available to PBR services on an experimental basis.
Vehicle radio keys operate in the band 433.72-434.12 MHz, specification MPT 1340 applies, see also RA 114. The equipment is exempt from licensing.
Civil radiolocation service operates on specified frequencies within the band 435.0-438.0 MHz.
Amateur satellite communications in the bands 435.0-438.0 MHz, there is also provision for cross-band working with the 144 MHz band. Amateur service operates in the band 430-440 MHz PMSE occupies a total of 1.8 MHz within this band.
Possible use of 430-435 and 438-450 MHz by wind profiler radars on a case-by-case,
S5.268, S5.271, S5.282, S5.286 NIB, basis.
This is related to affecting people from locking and unlocking the car and is in no way related to the ignition or immobiliser!
Electronic interferance - LeePower
Its NOT the immobiliser doing this.

Once the transponder immobiliser has transmitted the code to start the engine it WONT cut in again until the ignition is switched to off.

So once the engine is running the immobiliser wont stop it.

What is happening is the latest cars running CAN - VAN, CAN - BUS & CAN - CAN digital electrical systems are suffering from stray electrical energy that interferes with the control system.

On a lot of the CAN electrical controlled cars if one of the control systems goes down it takes the rest down with it.

With lots of digital signals going down the same pair of CAN - High & CAN - Low twisted pair of wires that are all around the modern car, If the signal gets interfered with it can really upset the control system & shut the lot down.
Electronic interferance - bell boy
are you saying that the immobiliser blip is digital then and not analogue?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
It makes me fume when us amatures get the finger of blame pointed at us with little or no technical facts to back them up.

Cars have to pass strict EMC testing for issues relating to all sorts of RF transmision (mobile phones, CB, amatuer radio, TETRA) all to name just a tiny few.

You would need to establish specific facts such as RF field strengths around the car at the location together with the frequency and transmision mode before you can start making accusations.

Our access to bands are under consitant threat and pressure from the goverment and commercial users and this sort of thing does'nt help our hobby.

I enjoy all sorts of operating from my car and never had or heard of any problems.

I do find the subject of CAN very interesting and would be keen for LeePower to tell me more about the subject.

Cheers
James (M0BOV)
Electronic interferance - Tomo
Hear, hear!

Tomo, GM6KKP/GM0IRZ
Electronic interferance - SpamCan61 {P}
>>What is happening is the latest cars running CAN - VAN, CAN - BUS & CAN - CAN digital electrical systems are suffering from stray electrical energy that interferes with the control system.

Sounds fair enough, although modern cars are presumably tested against the relevant EMC requirements, with millions of cars making millions of journeys per day then there's bound to be the odd occasion when this kind of interference causes problems.
Electronic interferance - No FM2R
Fanciful nonsense.
Electronic interferance - teabelly
It's not the immobillisers. It is the ecu electronics /engine management systems that are being affected by the large amounts of electromagenetic radiation from ground level radar stations. It has been on watchdog that an awful lot of cars are stopping for no reason in either cambridge or norfolk just outside one of these radar stations. The rac or aa were commenting on it. I think the MOD have denied it as it would probably mean they were in breach of lots of EU guidelines about interference. Cars are designed to cope with a ceratin amount but these must be putting out far more than the car designers had considered.

I am pretty certain they said radar and not anything else.
teabelly
CAN digital wiring systems was first played about with by Bosch back in the 1980s.

I think Mercedes where the first car manufacturer to start using CAN digital systems in there cars, Then PSA Peugeot / Citroen followed on a few years later & now Ford, Vauxhall, VW, Fiat etc are going the same way.

Basically you have a thin twisted pair of wires in the cars main wiring loom, One is CAN - high & the other CAN - low.

The cars main body computer uses these to send digital signals to things like the radio, climate control, etc & to also talk to the engine ECU that's looking after the engine.

What should happen is the digital signal sent down one CAN wire should have an opposite mirror image on the other CAN wire.

What CAN was brought in for was to reduce weight & amount of wires running around the car.

If the CAN wires get interference from say an MOD radar station ( allegedly ) it can upset the digital system & can shut the cars electrical system down.

Electrical spikes & CAN wiring don't make a happy combination, Ask any TU petrol engine Peugeot / Citroen owner with a Sagem coil pack.

Also water getting into one of the connections for something on the CAN system can upset the electronics, Ask any multiplexed 406 saloon owner with a boot mounted cd changer after the rear light seal start leaking, Water then gets in to the cd changer, The cd changer is on the CAN system, The dash lights up like a xmas tree & the electric's go haywire.

Radio two drove a VW Passat past the radar station allegedly causing cars to shut down the other week, Nothing happened when they tried but they used an older Passat & NOT one equipped with a CAN digital wiring system so the test didnt help the more modern car owner at all.
Arr, very interesting, thanks for the info.
Electronic interferance - Dynamic Dave
CAN digital wiring systems was first played about with by Bosch back in the 1980s.....

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=can_bus_con...y
Electronic interferance - madf
Any idea which car models /makes are worst affected. I would not be surprised if some makes use a nasty cheap version more vulnerable to interference than others.
madf
No idea, Most CAN stuff is Bosch & that means it is top quality.

Its more down to the way it is installed in the car & how its looked after that lets it down & also who programmed the software.

Having alarms, car phones, tow bar electric's etc added on to a CAN equipped car by someone who isn't trained on CAN systems also causes great problems.
Electronic interferance - Hamsafar
I have read a lot about a place called Fylingdales in Yorkshire, it is an American defence system area, and causes severe havoc with cars, I'm sure their are plenty of websites about it. I have also read that there is a spy satellite network which monitors radio transmissions as small as a car locking remote, and this was one of the reasons all modern electrical appliances are CE approved and have loads of screening and metal internal encasments with finger gaskets etc... (to reduce RF pollution and keep the 'noise' down'.
Another point to remember with a vehicle equipped with a CAN system is the battery.

If the battery goes flat be very careful using a jump box or jumpleads because the incorrect use of either of these can ruin the expensive control unit, You MUST follow the instructions in the owners handbook to the letter or seek the advice from a main dealer.

The best advice with CAN systems when jump-starting or for battery disconnection / reconnection is look in the owners manual.

It only takes a couple of minutes to read the owners manual but a less then a couple of seconds to do some very expensive damage to the vehicle.
Electronic interferance - cheddar
I thought the 1986 XJ40 was the first car to have CAN and mutiplex wiring?
The XJ40 did have a lot of electrics & electronic control systems but it wasnt a CAN system.

Also most XJ40 electronic failures are caused by dry solder joints, A good soldering iron is an essential piece of kit for an XJ40 owner.
Electronic interferance - martint123
Fylingdales in North Yorkshire does indeed transmit at very high power at or very close to the keyfob frequencies. Amateurs living in the area are restricted from using parts of the band.
I've parked within a few yards of the aerial and not had a problem with the car at all.

The spy network you refer to may well be Menwith Hill, also in North Yorks, and they certainly seem to listen to every word spoken and email sent. I'm not convinced this was why CE emissions regulation were made as the site is in a dip and all the aerials point to satellites and possibly our microwave link towers.
Electronic interferance - Hamsafar
The satellites I mean are European ones which watch the surface of the earth, and log all transmissions or look for them. All mobile phones sat phones etc... Of course I have never seen it, only read convincing articles about how it is used in wars.

It all reminds me of a time I went to Sytner BMW dealer in Nottingham (there old place) there was nowhere to park, so I parked at the rear in down town St Anns and could not get the remote to work for love or money and had to lock with the key. Ran to the parts dept. dodging bullets and ordered the part, ran back, remote still wouldn't work. left the scene. I replaced the remote battery thinking it was a gypsies warning. Returned to pick up the part some days later, parked in the same place, no remote again! Never had a problem before or since, so I wonder what was happening? I did wonder if someone had some sort of jammer in the onlooking community housing flats. Having said all that I can't see an immobilser being tripped while the ignition is on. The logic used in these systems is pretty thorough.
Electronic interferance - mare
As a complete aside, i walked back to the car and a thunder storm broke. The car (Skoda Octavia) wouldn't unlock on the plip, and i had to use the key. Once the storm passed, the plip worked fine.

Rather than radio waves, could it be electricity? Did Ashok park next to a substation? Does the electronics go kaput when you drive under a pylon?
Electronic interferaence - pmh
I remember having a presentation from Lucas (or it may have been Smiths) on a common bus system specifically aimed at cars in 1968 or 1969. At that time they had problems with hardeneing the system against the interference experienced in a car enviroment at that time. IC technology was pretty rudimentary, particularly for driving high currents.

--

pmh (was peter)

Electronic interferance - g3zdm
The points in this thread certainly highlight the problems or drawbacks caused by having so much electronic content in modern cars.
In March 2003 I was visited by the Vodafone install engineer to fit a hands-free car kit in my new Mercedes C220 coupe.
As soon as he realised that I had an Ericsson cellphone with (2.5 GHz) bluetooth link used for the hands free he informed me that , for a new Merc. I would have to swap the phone for another make and rebook the car kit install.
I had to swap the phone for a Nokia one as did 3 of my colleagues who were in the same boat. Apparently Mercedes had decreed that bluetooth linked phones in their vehicles were verboten !
I wonder if this was because of a known interference problem or whether Mercedes were just being over cautious.

Chris Muriel (G3ZDM), Manchester
Electronic interferance - Altea Ego
Part of modern car design includes RFI and High Voltage testing.

I think its VW that has a high voltage/rf lab where they drive cars around in severe electronic circumstances.

To answer mare tho they have yet to find a brave worker to open car doors while simulating lightening strikes.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Electronic interferance - Number_Cruncher
There's also an EMC/EMI lab at MIRA where the entire vehicle can be irradiated to see if it still works, or measured for the interference it produces.

Number_Cruncher
Electronic interferance - spikeyhead {p}
before any electronic or electrical item can go on sale in the EU it has to go through a series of EMI/EMC tests. The pass limits for these tests are, as with any other test, somewhat arbitrary. They are set so that they are unlikely to cause or suffer undue interference.

As we've all got radios that make a series of clicks just before a text message is received on our mobiles, its obvious that sone interference still occurs. There's a possibiiity of any electronic system being interfered with if the interferring signal is large enough. There are some very very high power radar systems out there, mostly used for military purposes.

I'm not up to date with automotive electronics but having the engine controller on the same bus as the ancilliaries sounds like careless design to me.

If some data on car models and locations of them cutting out can be collated then it shouldn't be too difficult to find the reasons behind these events. Without this information, all we can do is speculate.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Electronic interferance - Number_Cruncher
>>I'm not up to date with automotive electronics but having the engine controller on the same bus as the ancilliaries sounds like careless design to me.

On the later Vauxhalls, there are, IIRC, three CAN buses for high speed devices, intermediate, and low speed devices - data can be passed between the buses at the point where they all meet, the so-called column integration module.

The high speed bus is particularly prone to problems caused by poor or corroded connectors, and incorrect termination, which can cause unwanted reflections along the bus.

I think that CAN is a bit of bodge in the way that it has been implemented, I have seen that the error rate for signal transmission is not small.

As I've already seen some dealers really struggle fault finding with these systems, I dread to think how the independent sector is going to deal with them, without manufacturer's information or tools.

Number_Cruncher