nissan primera starter motor - brg190 pete
I have a 2000 year Primera which needs a new starter motor. The Nissan main dealer has quoted me ~£400 to replace, and this seems somewhat excessive.

I have looked on the internet and seen that I could buy a replacement part for about £80. Assuming this is new, should I be worried about the fact that it is not a genuine Nissan part?

How easy is it to fit a new starter motor? If I took it to a local garage to fit, how long do you think it would take them and how much do you think they should charge me?

Thanks in advance
nissan primera starter motor - sierraman
I doubt if the original would be made by Nissan anyway.As long as access is not difficult it should be a straightforward job.You could take the car to an autoelectrician and let them take it out and overhaul it,it will probably only need new brushes,£50 should cover it.
Assuming it's not too expensive, I would prefer to put in a new starter motor, especially as I intend to keep the car for several years.

How much should I expect to pay a garage to fit one? Also, I know I can get a starter motor for about £80 from alternatormart.co.uk, part of the Hillmart Group. Has anybody had any experience of these people?

Thanks
nissan primera starter motor - Aprilia
For £80 you will not be getting a brand new starter motor - what you will be getting is a 'reconditioned' unit (i.e. yours is swapped with someone else's that has been repaired).

I bet its 99% certain that your solenoid is faulty. These cost about £20 and you need to allow an hour to remove the starter, replace the solenoid, and refit the starter.

You could buy a genuinely new starter for about £250+VAT from these people:

www.woodauto.com

Or a recon unit for about £60. They will sell you the solenoid too, as a spare part. They are a good compnay, I've used them in the past.
nissan primera starter motor - jc2
Some recon Japanese parts aren't;they're off scrapped cars in Japan(where cars are scrapped at a couple of years old(very severe MOT)) and given a coat of paint.
Aprilia

Thanks for this recommendation. I will follow it up.
nissan primera starter motor - abergreg
Of COURSE you can get a brand new starter motor (not a recon) for less than £80, off ebay. the same way as a motor factor will charge you £80 for a CV joint and you can buy them new on ebay for £20.
The problem with a primera starter is FINDING IT! its tucked away at the back of the engine, its almost impossible to find from the top, get underneath with a decent light and take it out from the bottom. Ive just bought a brand new starter including solenoid AND postage from a 100% ebay (3000+) business seller for a P11E facelift (1999-2002) for £70. I will let you have an update when its fitted.
nissan primera starter motor - bell boy
abergreg you are replying to a thread 3 years 9 months old
back then a loaf of bread was 84 new pence
its now 1.29
nissan primera starter motor - abergreg
That is a stupid comment, by that reasoning the starter should be 50% more expensive than it was 3 years ago when in fact it is cheaper due to the parts being manufactured in china.

As a follow up DONT do this yourself. this is one of the most awkward jobs ive ever done in 30 years of maintaining my own cars, on the 2.0 sport there is a tie bar that has to be removed to get the starter out and its EXTREMELY difficult without a pit or a ramp. If a local garage can do this for you for for less than £200 (i was quoted £150+vat) I would let them do it, its a nightmare.