mondeo diesel failing to start - John Davies
Hi

Hope someone can cast some light on this.

My son has a three year old Mondeo diesel estate which occasionally fails to fire - normally, but not always, when it a been run that day already. After two or three failed attempts it will start perfectly.

The firm he bought it from have checked the glowplug relay and changed the glowplugs, but this hasn't helped. They cannot find any fault on it and it behaves itself whilst in their hands.

Yesterday it cut out at low revs also whilst pulling across traffic, so this obviously needs sorting.

Anyone any ideas? It has me stumped completely - have looked for airleaks and loose/dirty connections with no success!

Regards

John
mondeo diesel failing to start - jimmyw
Checked the fuel filter?
mondeo diesel failing to start - trymybest
could possibly be camshaft sensor problem
mondeo diesel failing to start - splash
On my 1.8TD mondeo I had problems starting when the glow plugs were burnt out - needed new plugs ! The other time it was the fuel pump. Air was leaking back into the system from the injectors and cranking the engine over was not enough to bleed the air out by itself.

You will need a friend to help to it started. Locate the fuel filter. On the 1.8 it is the gearbox end of the engine. It is mounted level with the cam cover and has a black button on the top. Get the friend to attempt to start the engine whilst you depress the black button. It takes a few seconds cranking the engine to bleed out the air lock that has formed. Then the car should start. If you are lucky its a bad seal on the filter (has it been replaced recently?), but if not then you will need to get the pump checked, rebuilt or renewed. Mine cost about £350 !! Then use a good quality fuel with lubricant added such as Shell or Texaco to prolong the life of the pump. Supermarket fuel does not have any additives and usually foams like crazy taking an age to fill a Mondeo tank...
mondeo diesel failing to start - cheddar
Does the glow plug light flash on the occasions it wont start? If so it is an ECU issue, a reload/update should do it.