Vauxhall Ecotec - iain c
Help!

Ive got a very nice X-reg Vauxhall Corsa Comfort (new shape) with a sweet little 1.2 16v Ecotec engine. Its the latest type with drive-by-wire and chain driven cams (it looks like a 4-cylinder version of the wheezy 1.0 12v) and it goes very well considering its low output - its also great on fuel.

The car has done 23k miles and has recently been serviced by the local vauxhall dealer using vauxhalls own fully synythetic oil (as specified in the manual) which is 5w-40.

Imagine my shock to discover major amounts of 'mayonaise' sludge under the oil filler cap! Is this normal for these ecotec engines?

I am know very concerned that the engine is going to suffer premature wear and I want to get on top of this problem!

The car is used seven days a week mostly on journeys of at least 15 miles which include a mixture of town, dual carriageway and very steep hills - and I dont drive it for economy! The temperature gauge seems to show normal working temperature. Has anyone else suffered from this?
Re: Vauxhall Ecotec - crazed
u sure they really changed the oil ? was it clean etc immediately after you got it back ?
Re: Vauxhall Ecotec - iain c
Sadly yes, 'cos I would love to be able to blame it on this! I saw them pouring the oil in (and change the filter)... Its got me worried!
Re: Vauxhall Ecotec - John S
Iain

Probably not uncommon in winter, even with 15 mile trip. Seemed to be a bit seasonal, and only ever cleared from our older Corsa in winter when it had a decent run on the Motorway.

There was, though, only a covering of 'mayonaise' on the underside of the cap, and the inside of the cam cover was clear.

Provided it's not using coolant I wouldn't worry too much.

regards

John